Looking for LTC-B compliant pistol

Matt,
Mistake #1: Do NOT try to interpret the intent of MA firearm laws. The fools who enact them don't even have a good grasp on what they are doing.

Mistake #2: Do NOT discount the veiled assistance Scrivener has offered. He is pretty sharp on this stuff and you would do well to pay attention.

Scrivener knows what he's talking about, he does this for a living.

Despite what the definition of a large capacity firearm is, it is only large capacity by MA's definition if it (or a clone, like the various AK variants) is on the Large Capacity Firearms Roster, or if a large capacity feeding device is actually physically inserted into the firearm.

I don't want to derail the thread, but I just have to ask: do you actually have a class B, or are you planning on applying for one? If you already have it, my condolences. If not, please reconsider and apply for a class a, ALP if you can get it, restricted if you can't. You won't regret it. If you can get a class B, there is nothing preventing you from applying for a class A. Same training requirement, same fee, age requirements, etc.

0000007.gif

Last edited:
Not everybody lives in your town. If you weren't aware, there are 351 cities and towns in Massachusetts and 351 chiefs with varying attitudes and 351 licensing officers with varying attitudes.

That is why Massachusetts is "Worst in the Nation" IMO.

I think I live in the worst town in the worst state.

My plan is to apply for LTC-B first.

Dude, definately don't apply for a class B. If you dont get denied for an A ALP statutorily or for reasons of suitability, you can still get the Class A restricted. Even Boston will give out restricted class As and i doubt your town is worse than the bean.

If someone breaks into your home, meeting them with 10 .40s would be better than meeting them with 10 9mms?

If you need 10 rounds of either you might want to spend more time at the range because either caliber will do the suggested job.[grin]

Not everybody lives in your town. If you weren't aware, there are 351 cities and towns in Massachusetts and 351 chiefs with varying attitudes and 351 licensing officers with varying attitudes.

Name the town. There are a relatively few number of towns that won't issue at least a Restricted Class A LTC. Towns like Boston, Brookline, Cambridge, Watertown, all of which are black holes for gun owners, all still issue the restricted Class A with no additional hassle than for a B.

Why would anyone get a Class B if they could get a Class A?

The answer to what I think is a dumb question is they wouldn't if their COP wasn't abusing his power in the town they lived in.

Name the town. There are a relatively few number of towns that won't issue at least a Restricted Class A LTC. Towns like Boston, Brookline, Cambridge, Watertown, all of which are black holes for gun owners, all still issue the restricted Class A with no additional hassle than for a B.

Peabody and Salem just to name two. Many will have you serve one term with a LTCB before consideration to LTCA. No wonder why gun owners are so fractured in getting together, some actually believe the same laws and rules apply to all citizens regardless of where they live.[rofl]

Scriv is right, but from a practical matter it might be difficult to get
some FFLs to transfer an M+P to someone with an LTC-B.... because
the dealer thinks, without knowing any better, "oh its like a glock and
I cant sell those to class-B's". The misunderstanding of the
whole hi cap low cap handgun thing in this state is pretty rampant
overall.

-Mike

Peabody and Salem just to name two. Many will have you serve one term with a LTCB before consideration to LTCA. No wonder why gun owners are so fractured in getting together, some actually believe the same laws and rules apply to all citizens regardless of where they live.[rofl]

Not saying that they don't exist, but many, including myself, think before applying that they have to go for the B. My BFSC instructor and several others all dissuaded of that notion, told me to go straight for the A, and they were right. Even a restricted A is still much better than a B.

Let me ask this a different way. What harm is there in applying for an LTC A? If the chief's a jerk, then maybe they'll downgrade it to a B. If not, then you'll get an A.

Why ask for the B?

Not saying that they don't exist, but many, including myself, think before applying that they have to go for the B. My BFSC instructor and several others all dissuaded of that notion, told me to go straight for the A, and they were right. Even a restricted A is still much better than a B.

The reality is that you apply for the LTCA like almost everyone does but the armorer tells you that they don't issue LTCA (restricted or otherwize) out of the box. So he says he will issue a Class B and you can apply later for the A. There is more shit going on through these COPs than anyone can imagine. No reason for it but the COP's are abusing the law over and over again and because it's fragmented by city and town, many people that have their LTCA have no idea how bad some towns are. They seem to be getting there though because I notice more and more LTCA owners are worried when it comes to renewal time in their own towns.

One other point is that it sometimes takes a person some time before he or she realized just how screwed they were. My personal opinion is that if you apply for the LTCA and they offer the LTCB take it and fight later because the COP's gonna have a hell of time splaining why you were not able to get a LTCA when he issued you the LTCB. It's better than a rejection which they have the power to do and they you need lawyers.

Let me ask this a different way. What harm is there in applying for an LTC A? If the chief's a jerk, then maybe they'll downgrade it to a B. If not, then you'll get an A.

Why ask for the B?

+1
Unless your affraid of being rejected in which case they will offer the LTCB anyway.

Yeah... good plan. Go for the B.

sheep... no wonder we have "worst in the nation" gun laws.

Last edited:
WRONG.

Here's the "Large Capacity Roster" - SHOW us where the M&P is on it:

Smith & Wesson

If it was never sold w/"large capacity" mags it is NOT a "large capacity" firearms.

Of course, if YOU buy such mags and do not have the requisite license, YOU have a problem.

What's the S&W 41 doing on that list?

It only holds 10 rounds in the mag.

When I bought my M+P 9c 2 weeks ago, the form says it is a high cap. I know according to the large cap roster it is not but try arguing with the dealer selling it to you

So - which dealer refused to acknowledge the controlling roster?

They had the gun I wanted treated me with respect and I would recommend them to anyone to buy a gun there.

Unless, of course, "anyone" is the holder of an LTC/B who wants to buy a NON "large capacity" pistol said dealer fabricates restrictions about.......

I'm not starting a dealer flaming. They had the gun I wanted treated me with respect and I would recommend them to anyone to buy a gun there.

It's not flaming them, it might save someone time if they only have a B and they go driving around to stores.

Back
Top Bottom