Looking for input on the Ruger LCP-Max .380 & The Sig P238 .380

Love the feel of the Ruger, the Sig has no curve in the grip and is butt ugly. If anyone has either can I get your review please.

I have an LCP, it’s a copy of a keltec. Its meh, I wouldn’t recommend.

My friend has the sig little 380 that is 1911-ish….I want one, way nicer, but also significantly more money.

Edit: reread the title, sorry missed the max part.

I have the LCP Max and like it, so far. Agreed, it does feel good in the hand, it's been very reliable, and makes a great pocket gun. If you do go in that direction, and need a pocket holster recommendation, I can look up what I ended up with.

Frank

I had an LCP and made improvements to it which ultimately became the LCP II version. It is still a pretty snappy little gun but literally disappears in your pocket. I eventually sold it and got a Kahr 380 which I much prefer. Today I would be looking seriously at the Sig 365 version in 380 because of the added capacity.

Last edited:
I have a first gen LCP and an LCP max. Aside from a bigger grip, more capacity and better sights, they are basically the same gun.

I do really like the LCP max as it’s very small and disappears in you pocket. Great gym gun or for work, ankle carry, etc. can’t speak to the Sig as I’ve never held one

I had an LCP and made improvements to it which ultimately became the Max version. It is still a pretty snappy little gun but literally disappears in your pocket. I eventually sold it and got a Kahr 380 which I much prefer. Today I would be looking seriously at the Sig 365 version in 380 because of the added capacity.

In addition to my LCP Max, I've got a 365 in 9mm, which I assume is the same size as the 380 version. The 365 is an awesome gun, but not really a pocket gun (unless you have very big pockets), if that's what the OP is looking for (he didn't specify). If the OP is looking for a small gun in 380 for IWB or OWB carry, then I would definitely recommend the 365 over the LCP Max.

Frank

I had a Sig938 several years ago. Similar if not the same dimensions.

Felt great in the hand. Accurate shooter. The rubber grips on mine were great. It’s heavy and solid for a little gun which is pro or con depending on needs and intent.

Adding to the SAO, it has the smallest safety lever imaginable. I like SAO but those small levers were the reason I got rid of it.

Any amount of sweat, grease or oil on my hands or the pistol and my thumb would skim right over that GD little lever during the draw leaving it still locked upon presentation. I didn’t like that at all and sold it shortly thereafter.

I do not have a LCP Max so can’t comment on that.

IMO the 365 is a no-brained compared to those others.

I had an LCP and made improvements to it which ultimately became the Max version. It is still a pretty snappy little gun but literally disappears in your pocket. I eventually sold it and got a Kahr 380 which I much prefer. Today I would be looking seriously at the Sig 365 version in 380 because of the added capacity.
I had the Kahr 380, it constantly jammed which is why i got rid of it. tried different ammo and 4-5 different mags. hated it.

I had a Sig938 several years ago. Similar if not the same dimensions.

Felt great in the hand. Accurate shooter. The rubber grips on mine were great. It’s heavy and solid for a little gun which is pro or con depending on needs and intent.

Adding to the SAO, it has the smallest safety lever imaginable. I like SAO but those small levers were the reason I got rid of it.

Any amount of sweat, grease or oil on my hands or the pistol and my thumb would skim right over that GD little lever during the draw leaving it still locked upon presentation. I didn’t like that at all and sold it shortly thereafter.

I do not have a LCP Max so can’t comment on that.

IMO the 365 is a no-brained compared to those others.
I stopped carrying mine because the safety switched off once while carrying it. I still have it though. Fun to shoot.

In addition to my LCP Max, I've got a 365 in 9mm, which I assume is the same size as the 380 version. The 365 is an awesome gun, but not really a pocket gun (unless you have very big pockets), if that's what the OP is looking for (he didn't specify). If the OP is looking for a small gun in 380 for IWB or OWB carry, then I would definitely recommend the 365 over the LCP Max.

Frank
Hmm. I'm not a big guy and pocket carry the 365 most every day no problem. What holster are you using? I use a Sticky which fits it like a glove.

I had a Ruger Max - I found it too snappy, didn't like it at all.
I thought I wanted the 365 in 380, but I read the reviews on the Sig site, LOTS of complaints. For that money, I'm not interested.
Recently got a Ruger Security-380, I LOVE it. Holds 10 rounds, accurate, smooth shooting. You could buy 2 for the price of a 365. Problem is they're hard to find now, I think they were released in December.

Last edited:
I stopped carrying mine because the safety switched off once while carrying it. I still have it though. Fun to shoot.
My 1911 safeties click off from my fat roll all the time while I’m sitting down or getting in the car or whatever. That doesn’t bother me as there’s secondary safeties in place to handle that, it was the not being able to unlock it reliably for me. Still a nice pistol and a lot of people love theirs.

My 1911 safeties click off from my fat roll all the time while I’m sitting down or getting in the car or whatever. That doesn’t bother me as there’s secondary safeties in place to handle that, it was the not being able to unlock it reliably for me. Still a nice pistol and a lot of people love theirs.

Unlock it? Wat? Like disable the safety? Yeah, i always thought those 938 whatever guns had a dumb lever design. Too smol.

Unlock it? Wat? Like disable the safety? Yeah, i always thought those 938 whatever guns had a dumb lever design. Too smol.
Ya my brain got stuck on lock and load for the SAO so unlock (depress safety lever) and fire was how it came out. Maybe not as obvious as I thought it was.

I bought the LCP Max about a month ago and shot it yesterday for the first time. It is snappy as you would expect of all pistols that size besides one in 22lr. I don’t plan to take it to the range and put 50-100 rounds through it. It is a small, light pistol that will work in sweat pants, shorts, etc. That is what it does. That is what they all do that size. You just need one that functions.

We got my wife the Sig P238. It's very easy for her to rack, which is a consideration as she has weak hands.

it's basically a miniature 1911. As tiny, snappy handguns go, it's not as snappy as some of the others. All-metal is good, without being too heavy.
Had one and sold it. Heavy trigger that pivots from the top, pinches finger, safety does not engage slide (as a 1911 does) so slide can partially rack while holstering.

238 here is my EDC. Love it. I was able to shoot it more accurately than a few others.
Add the Hogue grip and it's a sexy gun.
I've always liked the Ruger LCP aesthetically and always wanted one, just never took advantage of the opportunity as it was never on "the list"

The LCP has gotten so much better over the years. LCP Gen1 has the worst trigger of any gun I've owned. Then the LCP 2 came out and the trigger and sights got a little better. They nailed it with the Max. Way better sights, awesome trigger, still fits all the same holsters. I carry it 90 percent of the time just because its so easy to back pocket carry.

Back
Top Bottom