Looking for help from a muzzleloading Expert.

Well heres my problem, Im shooting a .357 175g dead center bullet with 110g of loose tripple 7 ffg 209 primer out of a TC omega. leupold rifleman 3-9x scope

I got my bullet on paper at 100 yards. The next day today I shot again with a super clean gun. My first two shots were near the bullseye. adjusted my scope 2in up and 2in right hoping it would hit dead center. shot again and compleatly missed the target. Ran a moist patch to clean it up a little bit. shot again and missed for the 4th time. next shot were on paper but was right and the following shot was way high and left. so after 10 shots i had only 5 on paper. the fisrt two were the best after that it was all downhill. I dont see how i could miss after shooting the 3rd round, the gun was super clean to start. Im going to shoot tomorrow with the gun clean and see what happens.

Am I not doing something right?. I know there are prodcuts out there to increase accuracy such as a jag with a rotating head so the bullet grabs the lands and grooves when pushing it down the barrel. also there is a .25 acp breachplug because the 209 primer is way to much punch. But i dont think that will help me because i cant even get in on paper after the 3rd shot.

Is there anyone on here with some insight, maybe willing to meet up and help me find my problem?

Well I'm no muzzleloading expert but seems to me if all your shots were on paper & close center untill you moved the scope. There's your problem. Sounds like it's loose or moving on you.

I use 100 grain of powder with 250 grain bullet. What are u using for a rest. I have had problems sighting in til I started using a lead sled.

Yes i was using a rest. I decided to try something different this year to shrink my groups, but my method did not work according to the way it was supposed to. back to pellets and powerbelt bullets, and have no problem. From what i read. above, is the way to do it but it didnt work for me.

Yes i was using a rest. I decided to try something different this year to shrink my groups, but my method did not work according to the way it was supposed to. back to pellets and powerbelt bullets, and have no problem. From what i read. above, is the way to do it but it didnt work for me.

The first two were on paper, adjustes the scope, and no longer on paper. sounds like an adjustment error of some sort on the scope?

How did you come up with 110g of loose 777 powder?? If you are going to use loose powder you need to "work up a load". Just because it shoots well in someone elses gun does not mean it will shoot well in yours.

You changed everything all at once. You went to loose powder, changed to a different bullet and sabot. Any one of those changes will effect accuracy. Changing them all at once means that there is no way to figure out which change MAY have effected the accuracy.

Black powder rifles can be finicky and your rifle may require a different powder charge for the projectile combination or it may not shoot that projectile and sabot combo well period.

Read this on how to work up a load. It applys to the newfangled BP rifles as well.

http://www.blackpowderjournal.com/archives/vol1no2/articles/load01.htm

Bob

Are you packing your bullet and powder the same each shot? I assume your using a sabot for the 357 bullet. Personally I'm using Blackhorn 209 and a .45 250 gr HP with a crush rib sabot. Cloverleafs at 50 yds. Perhaps the 357 to sabot fit is loose? Pick a load and adjust your scope. Make sure your scope is tight and not moving. Have had that happen. Sometimes you have to tighten a scope down a couple times after shooting a new setup. Lots of possibilities. 777 has a tendency to leave a crud ring down in the barrel and that could cause a loose pack after a couple shots and cause accuracy to go out the window
dave

is your powder charge constant?

did you use the same kind of powder?

I shoot muskets, round balls and minie. The weight of the bullet, the powder charge, the powder manufacturer, they all change the way the musket shoots.

Last edited:
Maybe a silly question but are you keeping the powder in a sealed dry container between shooting trips. If it is left in a flask or horn or other feeding device that is not well sealed then the powder nearer the top will absorb moisture and it will eventually migrate deeper into the rest of the powder. The end result will be that the first couple or three shots will react much different than the rest as the "deeper" and dryer powder is used.

Just one possibility from the school of hard knocks!

Test the ignition energy between the 209 primers and another....say, the .22 Hornet rifle primers, for example. use a clean damp patch and push it down to the bottom of the barrel with your ramrod. An ignited 209 primer ignited should force the ramrod to jump roughly 6”-8” up the barrel. Try the same thing with a lower power primer...the ramrod is supposed to move less than 1".

Perhaps the 209 is actually lifting the sabot off the powder charge while simultaneously igniting the powder. A lesser powered primer will ignite the powder just as instantly but lacks the energy to move the sabot and bullet off the powder charge thereby eliminating wayward flyers.

You can buy a breech plug conversion at MidwayUSA...(only place I instantly know its available)

Back
Top Bottom