• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for Arisaka help

Hoping for help determining the type/ caliber of this Arisaka. Needs some work and is an ugly gun but I am hoping to bring it back to life. The bayonet is likely worth double the rifle.

Currently missing all lower receiver parts, magazine, floor plate, etc as well as safety/ firing pin.

Pretty sure it is from the Toyo Kogyo arsenal based on my googling.

Attachments

• 2016-04-23 20.34.41.jpg
    2016-04-23 20.34.41.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 2016-04-23 20.35.21.jpg
    2016-04-23 20.35.21.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 2016-04-23 20.36.06.jpg
    2016-04-23 20.36.06.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 2016-04-23 20.36.40.jpg
    2016-04-23 20.36.40.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 2016-04-23 20.37.38.jpg
    2016-04-23 20.37.38.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Yep. Type 99. The two identical letters/symbols on top of the receiver are 99. The other one means type (read right to left).

Also, fun fact, you can see a bit of the chrysanthemum just above the Type 99 marks, but it was filed off, meaning it was turned in/surrendered. The chrysanthemum was the symbol of the Emperor, so, rather than turn in Hirohito's guns, they defaced them. Rifles with the chrysanthemum intact are rare.

to bad its missing all those parts. The parts are out there as well as reproductions.

you could probably find a few rifles for parts and come out ahead with spar parts.
My friend spent about $120 for what looks like your missing.
gun parts corp had most everything don't know what was original or repro though.

Manufactured by the Tokyo Kogyo arsenal as indicated by the symbols after the serial number. 31st series as indicated by the stamp before the SN. Earlier gun as T K started series in 1939 and continued to 1945 and only did Series numbers from 30 to 35.

As an early gun it should have a chrome lined bore and the bolt face should be chromed. Metford rifling so it may look "worn" if you are used to looking at normal land and groove rifling. As an earlier gun and not a "transitional" rifle it should also have a ladder rear sight and sight protectors on either side of the front sight. Rear barrel band will probably have a rectangular area on the bottom with a hole that's would have mounted a monopod. Front band should have a hole in the front for a cleaning rod and the stock will have a small button on the underside that was pushed to release the cleaning rod. Should have a metal butt, not a wood butt.

Cal is 7.7 Arisaka or "7.7 Jap" on the headstamp for 7.7 Japanese. Not a racial slur.

Need better pics.
Front sight, rear sight, bolt, barrel bands. Condition of wood too. Sanded / refinished stock takes a big hit in value.

Type 30 bayonet. (Normal Japanese bayonet for the period) Nagoya arsenal

Use Markings on Japanese Arisaka Rifles and Bayonets of World War II for some markings related info.

Last edited:
Don't now we're you're located. I think Collectors Gallery in Stoneham has a couple of Parts guns. Wouldn't hurt to give them a call they might have what you need.

Manufactured by the Tokyo Kogyo arsenal as indicated by the symbols after the serial number. 31st series as indicated by the stamp before the SN. Earlier gun as T K started series in 1939 and continued to 1945 and only did Series numbers from 30 to 35.

As an early gun it should have a chrome lined bore and the bolt face should be chromed. Metford rifling so it may look "worn" if you are used to looking at normal land and groove rifling. As an earlier gun and not a "transitional" rifle it should also have a ladder rear sight and sight protectors on either side of the front sight. Rear barrel band will probably have a rectangular area on the bottom with a hole that's would have mounted a monopod. Front band should have a hole in the front for a cleaning rod and the stock will have a small button on the underside that was pushed to release the cleaning rod. Should have a metal butt, not a wood butt.

Cal is 7.7 Arisaka or "7.7 Jap" on the headstamp for 7.7 Japanese. Not a racial slur.

Need better pics.
Front sight, rear sight, bolt, barrel bands. Condition of wood too. Sanded / refinished stock takes a big hit in value.

Type 30 bayonet. (Normal Japanese bayonet for the period) Nagoya arsenal

Use Markings on Japanese Arisaka Rifles and Bayonets of World War II for some markings related info.
Will take better pics in the am. Stock is beat to shit, whether via my uncle's or the Japanese I cannot say.

Chrome lined for sure. Thanks for all of the information!!

Tell eBay that. They wouldn't let me list 7,7 Jap Dies because of it being a racial slur. Lol

"Japanese" wouldn't fit on the headstamp IMO. I call it 7.7 Arisaka but just noted that when you find the ammo / dies it is typically labeled "7.7 Jap".

FYI you will need the safety that has the spiral machining on it and not the one that has a blob of weld on the end to make it "correct" To me that's a parts rifle except for the family history. If it was my Uncles I would get the parts, clean and stabilize it but not refinish anything. Stop the rust but dont mess with the stock, even if damaged.

What's the hit in value to a partially sanded and refinished stock? What about steaming out dings, cleaning, and wiping down with BLO?

What's the hit in value to a partially sanded and refinished stock? What about steaming out dings, cleaning, and wiping down with BLO?
My stock has 'Daniel Boone' inscribed into it.

I think the stock value is already shot, lol.

My stock has 'Daniel Boone' inscribed into it.

I think the stock value is already shot, lol.

What- you haven't had it appraised for authenticity? LOL...

Big, and no,no and no

If I find one with excessive dings, etc. I can always do something like this and end up with a pretty nice rifle:

21199365_7.jpg

Maybe a method for Dennism to remove that 'Daniel Boone' from his? Kidding about doing this, though my Gramps sporterized the Arisaka he brought back and took his limit of deer with it for about 40 years in a row. My brother has it now. I'd prefer original configuration. If I find one with the stock 'restored', it would be good to know the hit in value when making an offer.

Last edited:
Don't sand Japanese stocks!!!
The finish is poisonous.

Some Japanese lacquers are made using a highly poisonous plant extract that kills any insect that tries to bore into the wood. The stuff is usually safe to handle unless you are allergic to it but if you breath in dust while sanding it can poison you.

More background here:
Axis Re-enactment forum

Sporterized Arisakas are worth $200 or less IMO. Unless a family heirloom they typically have close to no market value. As a complete amateur on pricing I believe an original stocked and good shape early rifle would take at least a $100 hit in price if it had a refinished stock. Or more It all depends on how it was refinished and the amount of damage done. The more original rifles are climbing in price while sporters are used for parts basically and the cost to take one back to original well exceeds the value once restored.

Price depends on arsenal, series and originality. Most put a decent premium on a transitional rifle that has a stock with finish "chatter" as they were originally made for example. An early series 99 with a arsenal correct stock will pull significantly more than the same rifle with a refinished stock. Just as they do with monopod, dust cover and aircraft wings.

It's urushi- same lacquer compound that's used on Japanese (samurai) sword saya (scabbards). Basically it's the Japanese version of poison sumac. If allergic to poison sumac / ivy, some people will develop a bad rash from just touching the finished product even though it may be hundreds of years old.

I poke around for parts guns here and there and I will often ask gun shops if they have any bubba specials out back.

What- you haven't had it appraised for authenticity? LOL...

If I find one with excessive dings, etc. I can always do something like this and end up with a pretty nice rifle:

21199365_7.jpg

Maybe a method for Dennism to remove that 'Daniel Boone' from his? Kidding about doing this, though my Gramps sporterized the Arisaka he brought back and took his limit of deer with it for about 40 years in a row. My brother has it now. I'd prefer original configuration. If I find one with the stock 'restored', it would be good to know the hit in value when making an offer.

Wow!

Back
Top Bottom