Looking for a gun safe in Western Mass

I bought a Cabela's Signature 64-gun safe in 2017. It was on sale. It's made by Liberty safe. You can check out YouTube videos of Liberty.
It's 1080 lbs. It's 11 gauge steel all around.
It is an RSC- residential security container- as the previous poster mentioned. RSC is an actual U.L. listing, to my knowledge- so it's a tested certification.
It means something. Yeah, it may not be the same as UL "TRTL-60x6", but it is resistant.
You'll likely pay thousands for serious, upper-level UL-ratings like TL-30, TL-30x6, TRTL-30, etc. And, they'll weigh thousands of lbs. Those ratings were created for "jeweler's" safes and other such small business valuables.
Some high-end gun safes have adopted some of their specs, and they charge dearly for the privilege.
I thought the Liberty-Cabelas was a good step up from the <$1k typical selection in terms of integrity, but still came in around $1500.

Tractor Supply Black Friday flyer just landed, and there's a Cannon 36-gun (57Hx30"Wx20"D) for $299.99, supply limited, no rainchecks. I've paid more than that for a 24-gun Cannon on sale. Craigslist has one now and then.

As with any other security decision, there's no one-size fits all solution, so I suggest asking yourself some questions first.
  • What, if anything, are you trying to protect against? If all you want to do is satisfy MA legal requirements, almost any box with a lock will do, but your insurance company may impose a higher standard.
  • If you are trying to protect against theft, situational awareness is important. For a smash and grab artist in an urban environments, 5 minutes at target to pry open a level 1 RSC is an eternity. But if you are isolated from your neighbors, you may be less likely to be a target, but if you are targeted then you should assume the thieves are better prepared and informed.
  • If you are trying to protect against fire, you need to look at fire ratings as well.
  • Have you given though to how and where you are going to install your safe? One truism people forget is that if a safe came into your house on a two-wheeler or a dolly, it can be wheeled out the same way, and then whatever theft rating it claimed is worth jack. Bolting your safe to the foundation is often recommended, but that has tradeoffs. First, it usually means placing the safe the thieves can work unobserved. Second, it limits access. If the perps are between you and your weapons, that's not ideal. Third, flooding can be as much or more of a threat as fire.
  • Finally, there's what I call "paranoia vs pocketbook" issues. Unless I'm misreading things, one of those AMSEC Level 2 RSC boxes runs over $4,000. If your long guns are from Purdy, Holland and Holland, or of similar lineage, then spending that much to protect them may make sense. But if, like me, your "stuff" is replaceable off the shelf, it might not be the best way to spend your money.
I don't post about my own security measures and neither should you. But I do have a final thought. No matter how well constructed and installed your safe is, it won't protect you or its contents from a $5 wrench.

security.png

Third, flooding can be as much or more of a threat as fire.
Theft is the #1 thing to worry about.

1. HO policies generally cover guns under the same limit as other household contents except for theft or mysterious disappearance.

2. The system is not going to jam you up because your guns were ruined in a fire or flood. (watch out for flood exclusions though)

3. Your guns are not going to be front page news in the local paper if you house burns down. Report a dozen or so EBRs, a Fifty BMG and "countless" pre-ban full capacity magazine and the local paper will be interviewing the chief about you for the story.

Back
Top Bottom