• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

looking for a good club around Nashua NH

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good club around Nashua NH. Pelham Fish & Game Club looks pretty good, but I want to make sure I pick the right one. I'm fairly new to pistol and rifle shooting, so I don't really care about long distance ranges. Maybe 25' to 75' pistol and up to 100 yds for rifle.

I see that there are a few in Nashua, but one seems to be primarily rifle (Horse Pond Fish & Game Club) and the other, (Nashua Fish & Game Association) boasts their 600 yd rifle range, which doesn't really interest me since I have a hard enough time with 100 yds. Is this a good range for shorter distances too? or should I try Pelham out? Are there any other good ones that I missed?

Also, seeing that I am new to shooting, but understand firearm and range safety, and at least hit the paper about 98% of the time, how likely am I to be accepted into a club?

Also, seeing that I am new to shooting, but understand firearm and range safety, and at least hit the paper about 98% of the time, how likely am I to be accepted into a club?

Welcome to NES!

I can't comment on clubs in that area, but I can say that you are very likely to be accepted. The folks I've run into at the ranges I go to have been nothing but helpful, friendly, and inviting. I'd be really surprised if you found anything to the contrary.

Matt

I've been the Vice President of a club in MA for 1/2 a dozen years. In that time, I can remember one applicant that that we chose not to welcome to the club.

I'm also a member at two other gun clubs. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Westford is about 5 minutes south of the line. 100yd rifle, 25yd outdor pistol, 50ft indoor pistol (24/7), fishing, archery, trap, sporting clays, hunting. Let me know if you'd like to take a tour.

Ken

Westford is about 5 minutes south of the line. 100yd rifle, 25yd outdor pistol, 50ft indoor pistol (24/7), fishing, archery, trap, sporting clays, hunting. Let me know if you'd like to take a tour.

Ken

Sounds like a decent place, but wouldn't I have a problem bringing my firearms into MA from NH? I only have high cap mags for both of my guns.

Unless they are preban mags and preban guns (if they fit the AWB), yes you would be entertaining felonies.

I guess I'll have to keep looking for a good club in NH then since my sig is only about 2 weeks old and I'm pretty sure that my Bushmaster was manufactured this year or last. thanks Len for the heads up, and thanks Ken for offering a tour

Last edited:
Handguns are NOT an issue, the mags could be.

Rifles - depends on config: If it has collapsible stock, bayonet lug, or flash hider . . . it must be pre-ban. If none of these, DOB won't be a concern.

HTH

My AR has a collapsable stock, and a 2-30 round mags
my sig has 2-12 round mags.

I am very happy that I am a NH resident. Too many rules over the boarder

Pelham Fish and Game

Pelham is a good club with a lot going on there. Not many people who are a pain in the ass unlike many other clubs. Many of the more experienced shooters are willing to teach new shooter proper technique. The IDPA group puts on some good events (including carbine matches). There informal matches would give you a good opportunity to practice with your sig and rifle. Shoot me a message if you want me to sponsor you.

Well, I applied to Nashua Fish & Game and am going to the new member orientation next weekend. I decided against Pelham because Nashua F&G is much closer to me and is also cheaper than Pelham.

So I tried to access the range rules section of nfga.org and found that I need to be registered on their website (and must obviously be a member of Nashua F&G). Are there any current Nashua F&G members here that could point me to a copy of their range rules before I go next week? I know I will be given a copy of the rules at my orientation, but I want to be sure that I'm making the right decision to join Nashua F&G before I write out a dues check.

Last edited:
It is my understanding that while Nashua F&G had a very active IDPA group several years back, that politics intervened, and the IDPA shooters have decamped to Pelham.

It is my impression (3rd hand) that Nashua F&G is not supportive of defensive-type shooting. If that's what you are looking for, I suggest you take another look at Pelham.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm very new to sport shooting, so I'm not too picky about whether or not Nashua F&G is IDPA friendly. For now, I'm just looking to join a good club thats close to me.

The only thing that I'm worried about is whether or not NFGA allows high cap mags (rifle and pistol) and shooting from a holster. I'm not too picky otherwise.

It would seem that there aren't any active forum users here that are also NFGA members, so I just emailed the Membership governor of the range to see if he could answer my questions that I posted here before I go for my orientation. I'll just be sure that I know their stance on the issues before I sign anything. Thanks again for the help

Last edited:
It would seem that there aren't any active forum users here that are also NFGA members, so I just emailed the Membership governor of the range to see if he could answer my questions that I posted here before I go for my orientation. I'll just be sure that I know their stance on the issues before I sign anything. Thanks again for the help

Go to the Pelham web site and contact the IDPA Coordinator. He will tell you all about Nashua F&G. They had a very active and an excellent program going at Nashua until a group decided that defensive pistol was not a safe activity.

The defensive pistol group now works out of Pelham. The ranges have been improved and they seem to be doing well. Pelham has a long history with action sports having been a USPSA club for many years.

Give them a shot (No pun intended) before you make a final decision.

http://www.pelhamfishandgame.com/

[email protected]

They had a very active and an excellent program going at Nashua until a group decided that defensive pistol was not a safe activity.
That's about what I've heard third hand. So I would be very surprised if Nashua F&G lets someone draw from a holster these days.

Thanks for your help guys. I just got an email back from the membership governor of Nashua F&G and this is what he had to say:

Drawing from the holster is only permitted during scheduled events with Range Safety Officers present.

I just looked at the Pelham F&G range rules and it would appear that drawing from a holster is only permitted on the Action range.

-What is the difference between the action range and the utility range at Pelham?
-Can anyone use the Action range at anytime unless there is an event on the range?

Thanks for your help guys. I just got an email back from the membership governor of Nashua F&G and this is what he had to say:

Drawing from the holster is only permitted during scheduled events with Range Safety Officers present.

I just looked at the Pelham F&G range rules and it would appear that drawing from a holster is only permitted on the Action range.

-What is the difference between the action range and the utility range at Pelham?
-Can anyone use the Action range at anytime unless there is an event on the range?

The action range is really 4 seperate 50 yard ranges which are open any time, to any member (no RSOs need to be present). The utility range is a 100 yard range with target stands at 25, 50 and 100 yards.

Just like the post above mine said, there is only drawing from the holster on the action ranges. The utility range has a seperate entrance and basically is a 100 yard range with a couple of spots at 25 yards.

The action ranges are 4 bays averaging about 25 yards wide with 2 of them being 50 yards long and the other about 25 yards. The fourth one is not used as much but is set up for allowing 180 degrees of movement and shooting.

The "IDPA" practice nights are done for the year, but there is winter match that will take place in Feb.

This is some great info, thanks guys.

So both ranges allow me to carry a pistol on the range premises basically at all times, but they both also don’t allow drawing from a holster(with the obvious exception of the action range @ Pelham). So what would I do if I wanted to fire my pistol that I am carrying in my holster? Maybe I’m looking too deeply into it, but I would think that any RO would have a problem seeing me remove my pistol from my holster because I could be trying to draw and shoot from the holster. Would I just have to remove the pistol from the holster, place it on a table or bench, then pick it back up to fire it?

At the moment, I am still looking at joining Nashua because:
-its cheaper than Pelham
-its much closer to me than Pelham
-I'm new to shooting, so my only real focus right now is on trying to improve my shot grouping on a paper target.
-I'm not too concerned with drawing from my holster, especially if Pelham doesn't allow it on their general use range either.

If I decide that I want to pick up defensive/action shooting down the road, there is nothing stopping me from being a member at two different clubs at once

Last edited:
Yes, you unholster at the bench, put it on the bench, then shoot it from the bench.

That's the way 99.99% of the gun clubs operate in this area.

Honestly I don't know if you will like Nashua. There is no place to practice what you said you are looking for, the only plinking range there is a small no-draw range that is inconvenient to shoot at. You could get the indoor qualification, but that is still a hassle. That leaves you will shooting at the 100 yard range there and if it is busy good luck getting a cease fire to change or check your targets. After a while just lining up your sights and squeezing the trigger won’t make you a better shooter.

Pelham may be further and it may be more expensive but we are set up for action shooting. As long as you are being safe, following the rules regarding target placement and not destroying club property, no one will bother you.

To answer your question about keeping your sidearm in the holster; taking it, the sidearm, out to shoot is different than drawing. Drawing would be accessing the sidearm and going straight to the target to fire, and doing so repeatedly. If you take the gun out and take a few more seconds transitioning from the holster to sight alignment that is more of a “this is where I keep my gun while on the range.”

Just like any other range there will be people who don’t know all the club rules. I had one person at Pelham tell me that I can’t carry a loaded pistol on my person. I basically told him that this is a gun club and that my sidearm is not a rifle and that it is in a holster.

Well, after reading the last post from sdavid, you guys might have me convinced. Anyone going shooting soon @ Pelham that feels like giving me a tour of the place?

Also, roughly how long does the application process take @ Pelham?

Last edited:
Would I just have to remove the pistol from the holster, place it on a table or bench, then pick it back up to fire it?
Some clubs prefer that you unload it at the range, pointed at the big, safe backstop. Some prefer that you unload it at your car, pointed at the ground. I prefer the former.

Join Pelham. For defensive shooting, what you want to use are what they call the "action" range. You can't do that at Nashua anymore (and more's the pity).

Yup - they pretty much ceased any practical shooting at NFGA a few years back - politics, as they say. Very sad - they had an excellent program. Many left in disgust after trying to come to some compromise. One side used safety as a weapon against the other.

At PFGC, the utility range has a covered firing line, action range just has berms. You can shoot at the action range any time when open (dawn to dusk, I think).

Well, after reading the last post from sdavid, you guys might have me convinced. Anyone going shooting soon @ Pelham that feels like giving me a tour of the place?

Also, roughly how long does the application process take @ Pelham?

send me an email @ [email protected] and we can coordinate a time. I am at the club alot. You're making too much of the utility range issue. Check the club out, you'll be impressed with the facilities.

Well, I just got back from the orientation @ Nashua F&G and I decided not to join. Thanks for all of the info on both ranges everyone. I will be applying to Pelham F&G ASAP. Also Springer, I'm sending you an email as I type this.

Back
Top Bottom