Looking for a DIY kinda range

Didn't know how to be too descriptive on the title.

Anyone here know of a range that will allow me to set up targets and run my own drills.
Something like an open pit, where I can work on shooting on the move, target transitioning, etc..

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite a few clubs have action pits, including Harvard Sportsmen's Club, Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association, etc.

Hopkinton might be your best bet. Mass Pike to 495, then about one exit south.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Both Harvard and Hopkinton are about 1 hour away. I think I'm cool with that.
People have a favorite over the 2 ?

I'm a member at Hopkinton. They're both awesome and you can't go wrong with either. Hopkinton has 200 yard rifle, Harvard 300. No full auto at Hopkinton if that matters to you. Both have Wednesday night USPSA practice if you want a tour and find a sponsor.

Pelham (NH) might be a little closer to you and is a good choice as well.

Both are good. I'm a member at Harvard but shoot at Hopkinton often with friends who are members. Harvard has more action pits but even at Hopkinton we rarely have trouble finding an empty pit. Hopkinton has much better shotgun facilities, though these are open to non-members on Sundays. Hopkinton used to have some FUDDy rules but that's been changing, thanks to recent member efforts. If you ever don't have your own target stands to set up, Harvard is better because stands are provided, while in Hopkinton you're SOL. Harvard has machine gun pits, archery, and a 300 yard range. You don't have to get out if your car to open the gate at Harvard [rofl] Like I said, both are good and I enjoy going to Hopkinton once in a while but I still joined Harvard and have no regrets.

Are there clubs that let you set up action shooting anytime you want?
Sadly the clubs I frequent in my area don't allow solo "action" shooting. I know they have "practice" days and matches.
Heck you can't even draw from your holster at 2 clubs I frequent.

Sadly the clubs I frequent in my area don't allow solo "action" shooting. I know they have "practice" days and matches.

Hopkinton and Harvard.

Hopkinton and Harvard - set up whatever you want, as long as you're safe and follow basic club rules. Both allow holster work

I need to read up on the rules at my club as I'm not sure if holster work is prohibited. But everytime I go, I'm usually by myself or there may be 1-2 people there and I do holster work without any issues. Though knowing how FUDD my club is, it wouldn't surprise me if it's not allowed. I just avoid going to the range when it's open to the public and ROs are present...

Not close by and no pits, but you can setup your own steel, shoot from the holster and shoot on the move at any distance up to 50 yds as long as you do so safely at Mansfield F&G (I-95 near I-495). www.mansfieldfish.com

Thank you guys !
Great help.

I think I'll try and join Harvard, it's a little under an hour and I think I'm ok with that.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as a sponsor ?
:) :) :)

Last edited:
Thank you guys !
Great help.

I think I'll try and join Harvard, it's a little under an hour and I think I'm ok with that.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as a sponsor ?
:) :) :)

Go to IPDA or USPSA practice and make friends!

Yes. Hopkinton and Harvard. Drive right into an empty bay, set up your target stands and targets, and start blasting.

Back
Top Bottom