Looking for a coyote rifle

IF your neighbors get upset about firearms you could try a crossbow with a NVS, not sure if it legal but it is hard to notice unlike the crack of a rifle.

GUns going off are not much of a problem where I live. Heard a pack of coyotes out often this summer. I went out one night in case they were heading my way. Turned out they were heading towards one of the farms nearby and away from my house.
Not such a bright idea for the Coyotes though, Heard one shotgun blast and then all was quiet!

Oh, I called the Wildlife office. .17 HMR isn't legal because the casing is bigger than that of a .22 lr, and its more like a .22 magnum. According to the law, you can't have a rifle *chambered* to take something bigger than a .22 lr bullet. So we are talking case length. Therefore, this rules out ALL the alternative calibers we discussed (after sundown) other than shotgun. During the day though, you can use a cannon if you want, ha.

Thanks for that. I've been rethinking my use of the .22 LR, as much of what I've gathered via the web and through conversation with experienced hunters leads me to believe that particular cartridge is not a suitable (humane kill) for an animal as large as a coyote. The .22 LR seems better suited to much smaller game. I'd rather not have to rely upon making a "brain shot." In Mass., it seems a shotgun may be the way to go for evening pursuits.

For daytime use, I've still not been able to decide on a caliber. I'd like to be able to take bobcat or fox w/o inflicting too much pelt damage, while still having the capability to make a longish (150+ yd), effective shot at coyote. A .223 seems to have the widest range of versatility, judging by the factory loads available?

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I've been rethinking my use of the .22 LR, as much of what I've gathered via the web and through conversation with experienced hunters leads me to believe that particular cartridge is not a suitable (humane kill) for an animal as large as a coyote. The .22 LR seems better suited to much smaller game. I'd rather not have to rely upon making a "brain shot." In Mass., it seems a shotgun may be the way to go for evening pursuits.

For daytime use, I've still not been able to decide on a caliber. I'd like to be able to take bobcat or fox w/o inflicting too much pelt damage, while still having the capability to make a longish (150+ yd), effective shot at coyote. A .223 seems to have the widest range of versatility, judging by the factory loads available?
Like I said, the rimfires are too small, and .223 is at the top end. For night, just use a shotgun.

For daytime, try a .17 Fireball, .17 Remington, .204 Ruger, or .22 Hornet if you want to stick to factory cartridges. Some wildcats you can order rifles in which are nice are the .19 Calhoon, the .19 Badger, the .20 VarTarg, and the .20 Tactical (?).

If you need links for the above, just reply back here, and I'll dig something up.

Did you ever even go and check out the forums at www.coyotegods.com ?

What do you guys think is the best way to hunt coyote in Mass? At the edge of a field with a predator call? Do you need camo at night, or are the coyotes color blind after dusk and any non-uv washed clothing would work?

I read that coyotes see in a scale of color that goes from blue to brown, so you don't need a ghillie suit, but something that matches the environment will help. I usually wear a brown Carhartt jacket and similarly colored brown field pants.

We set up on the edge of small fields, about 100 yards long by 30 or 40 wide. We also try to look for areas that have a little bit of cover, as the dogs don't like to come out into open territory for too far/long. Usually we sit in/along the tree line so the trees and brush help break up our shape. Then one of us calls while the other watches for coyotes.

We found last time out that they responded well to aggressive calling with one of our rabbit in distress calls. Unfortunately we couldn't get them out of the woods for a clean shot, but we had them within 20 yards. Then we got too impatient and tried to move up closer, which didn't work at all, haha.

Method has the method. It takes a LOT of patience to bag one, which I haven't to date. Need to keep up the calling, and sometimes mix in mouse squeak or pup bark to confuse them. Absolutely need some white camo now. If nothing else, do as someone here said and use a sheet. Whatever teeny shortcoming in their sight, their smell makes up for one hundredfold. Have fun, these are good bright nights for harvesting fur.

Like I said, the rimfires are too small, and .223 is at the top end. For night, just use a shotgun.

Did you ever even go and check out the forums at www.coyotegods.com ?

Sure did. Big fans of the .17 Remington over there. There seem to be some good arguments for it.

re: shotgun
In MA, the largest shot size allowed for coyote is FF, while the largest shot size allowed for fox/bobcat is #1 birdshot. Might be a bit of a conundrum then, if wanting to be prepared to take either. Sort of like being limited to .22LR if hunting for fox/coyote at night.

I've always though there is too much fussing over cartridges. We now have several case sizes available for .17, .20, .223, .243,... With all of them, if you do your job there will be a BANG and a hole where you want it.

I agree that 22LR and 17HMR are underpowered. Anything larger will do. If pelt damage is your concern, focus on the bullet. You want a fragile varminting bullet that will come apart inside the yote. Even a 22-250 with something fragile like a Barnes Varmint-Grenade won't make an exit hole.

I'd use .204 Ruger, mainly because I have a rifle chambered in it and its amazing! Cans of soda fragment and the liquid is vaporized at 100 yards and objects like apples and small pumpkins are reduced to tiny bits of mush.

Here is some info I grabbed from a site:

Hornady factory ballistics for the original 32 grain V-Max bullet in the .204 Ruger claim a MV of 4225 fps and muzzle energy (ME) of 1308 ft. lbs. from a 24" test barrel. The velocity and energy figures down range are 3583 fps and 941 ft. lbs. at 100 yards, 3025 fps and 671 ft. lbs. at 200 yards, and 2531 fps and 469 ft. lbs. at 300 yards. Hornady has subsequently added a 40 grain V-Max and a 45 grain Spire Point bullet to its factory loaded ammo offerings. These same bullets are available to reloaders as components.

This is the fastest factory loaded cartridge ever introduced, although the .220 Swift, .223 WSSM and 5.6x57mm can achieve similar velocities with light 40 grain bullets that are comparable to the 32 grain .204 bullet. Hornady claims that their factory loads for the .204 Ruger is very accurate, designed to shoot into 1 MOA.

The trajectory of the 32 grain V-Max bullet, zeroed for a maximum bullet rise of 1.5", should look like this: +0.1" at 50 yards, +1.1" at 100 yards, +1.5" at 150 yards, +1.1" at 200 yards, -0.3" at 250 yards, -2.7" at 300 yards. The maximum point blank range of the .204 Ruger (+/- 1.5") is approximately 277 yards (calculated for a scope mounted 1.5" above the bore).

Just snipped this from www.coyotegods.com :

"I recommend a 25 grain berger Match/Varmint out of a .17 Remington at about 4000 fps. Might try 21.5 gr. H-322 and a remington 7 1/2 primer."

Milsurps is right with the .204 being great for this stuff. Myself, I would want something quieter in most of MA, like the .22 Hornet or the new .17 Fireball, plus they use a LOT less powder if you are reloading.

Less specific meaning not a .17 thats specific to Coyotes.

Something different meaning different than what I have in the safe, and not something I see a lot of posts about.

I'll check out the .204, and if I find a CZ somewhere, I'll definitely check it out too. Thanks for the input.

Calhoon has the CZ either as a kit for your own provided CZ, or I think he can do the whole thing. Same with the Rugers.

I say maybe a .22 Hornet would be another good choice for you. The .19 Calhoon is a .22 Hornet necked down to .19, which makes it potent for its size, which is PERFECT for coyote.

Last edited:
I read that coyotes see in a scale of color that goes from blue to brown, so you don't need a ghillie suit, but something that matches the environment will help. I usually wear a brown Carhartt jacket and similarly colored brown field pants.

We set up on the edge of small fields, about 100 yards long by 30 or 40 wide. We also try to look for areas that have a little bit of cover, as the dogs don't like to come out into open territory for too far/long. Usually we sit in/along the tree line so the trees and brush help break up our shape. Then one of us calls while the other watches for coyotes.

We found last time out that they responded well to aggressive calling with one of our rabbit in distress calls. Unfortunately we couldn't get them out of the woods for a clean shot, but we had them within 20 yards. Then we got too impatient and tried to move up closer, which didn't work at all, haha.

interesting to know.

only time ive ever "hunted" coyote was a couple years ago. Norwell had an open bounty on coyotes after 2 pet attacks and one child at a park was attacked. $75 a pelt!

we used a 10/22. nailed a squirrel in my buddies yard, and hung it in a tree. spent the rest of the afternoon sitting on his back porch picking them off as they investigated what they thought was dinner. IIRC he made ~ $600 that weekend.

Back
Top Bottom