Looking for 22 caliber pellet gun

Pilgrims Pride

NES Member
The Mrs signed off on squirrel elimination in her garden. The little tree rats are raising hell with her plants.
I've got a near to 50 year old crossman pump gun that always served me well. But it doesn't have the umph it use to have.
Any thoughts on a replacement?
I see there are "suppressed" models these days. Might be a good idea.

Budget? Thats a big can of worms. Theres a whole world of nice air rifles out there. Quick follow up shot capabilty would be nice. First crack sends the little guys on the run if you miss.

Budget? Thats a big can of worms. Theres a whole world of nice air rifles out there. Quick follow up shot capabilty would be nice. First crack sends the little guys on the run if you miss.
I'd spend a couple/300 or so I guess. Quick follow up would be a real advantage. The old crossman is single shot and pump.
(If) I miss I need to wait til they come back. I'm looking for better accuracy.

They have a bunch of .22 caliber air guns at Kittery trading post if you are close enough.

The one I have is an RWS model 34 single pump that works well.

RWS

Had squirrels eating bird food that my wife put out.
When it was all done, she made a 100 squirrel cake to commemorate the culling.

Got one last weekend that thought the humming bird feeder was soda pop...he got pop alright.

Last edited:
To get an idea of the market and prices, see Pyramyd Air (Yes, they ship to MA)

For "single pump" your best option is a gun labeled as "nitro-piston" or "gas ram", these use an air shock as the power plant rather than a spring. Follow-up shot time depends on how quick you are to operate the single-pump mechanism.

I'd spend a couple/300 or so I guess. Quick follow up would be a real advantage. The old crossman is single shot and pump.
(If) I miss I need to wait til they come back. I'm looking for better accuracy.
In terms of repeaters, I would avoid CO2, and think carefully before getting into Pre-Charged Pneumatic (PCP) mostly due to the cost of equipment to supply high pressure air (So you invest in a compressor, then you want more air rifles, then a portable tank.... ask me how I know)

Last edited:
I believe the Crosman Custom Shop website is finally back in operation and ready to take orders. Some nice CO2 options there.

In my experience, you have to fork over some decent $ for an accurate pellet gun. Squirrels really need a head shot for a quick dispatch. You may have better results with a .410 if that is an option for you.

Heavy .22 cal pellets (18-25 gr) traveling close to 1000 FPS will easily dispatch squirrels humanely with either head or heart/lung placement. The difference between spring/nitro piston models and pre-charged pneumatics (PCP) are night and day. The double recoil of the former versions are noted to be strong enough to require scopes to be specially designed to take the bi-directional impulse. PCPs shoot like .22LR rifles with even less recoil. You can also get magazine-fed PCPs that only require re-cocking of a bolt for follow-on shots, and there are even semi-autos. High-end PCPs can go for $2-3,000, and are beautiful machines. These commonly store more than 4,000 PSI so electric pumps are almost required. Airgun stores and other sources can also supply scuba bottle refills at nominal fees. The other end of the PCP spectrum can pretty easily be filled to their 3,000 PSI storage level using a high-pressure hand pump. Yes, it will take you 100 strokes of what looks like a heavy-duty bicycle pump to fill the tank, but that will supply you with 20 to 50 shots before you need to repump again. Do check out the Pyramid Air site as they have bundles of lower-end PCPs and pumps right around the price point you've set. there are other reliable vendors on-line too (Airguns of Arizona, Utah Air Guns, etc.).

Keep in mind that some manufacturers and some vendors try to push supersonic velocities as an advantage. Shooting really light pellets will allow supersonic velocities, but the diablo shape of airgun pellets is inherently unstable at transsonic speeds. Supersonic pellets also issue the noisy crack associated with supersonic bullets, so they are much louder than subsonic pellets (and much less neighbor friendly). You will have better precision and results with heavy pellets just under the speed of sound. Good quality PCPs with good pellets are as accurate as .22LR out to ~100 yds. They are more precise than .22LR under 50 yds.

Last edited:
The Mrs signed off on squirrel elimination in her garden. The little tree rats are raising hell with her plants.
I've got a near to 50 year old crossman pump gun that always served me well. But it doesn't have the umph it use to have.
Walmart had many to chose from. I'm very happy!!!
Walmart, type pellet gun , filters , select velocity greater than 750 fps.
Select customer reviews 4 stars and higher.
Then load results.
You'll have over 30 to chose from. Mine is on there and I have been very happy with it for 3 years now.

Edit: I took mine to the range and I dialed in the scope that comes with it, and has been a dream since. I shoot a grouping the size of a quarter with the .177 hollow point pellets at 50 yards.

Last edited:

The Walmart in Raynham had these on the shelf last weekend. Really thought about grabbing one because I have been very happy with my Gamo, whose only downside is that it is a single shot, break barrel.
This gives you 10.
Pretty sure it was about $250.

In my experience, you have to fork over some decent $ for an accurate pellet gun. Squirrels really need a head shot for a quick dispatch. You may have better results with a .410 if that is an option for you.

+1 , skull shots are preferred. I snipe from my attic window and a nice baited area of carrots , sunflower seeds and lettuce placed so as to set me up with a max 30' shot . The factory Gamo Match Diablo Flat points are my best for consistency . 1.18" groups at 25 yds . They are skull crushers for sure.

My 760 upgrade path was an inexpensive Gamo. I discovered that a with springer, you've got to use a mortar "artillery" hold to get any accuracy out of it. A PCP would've been nice. That's all I've got.

Last edited:
My 760 upgrade path was an inexpensive Gamo. I discovered that a with springer, you've got to use a "mortar" hold to get any accuracy out of it. A PCP would've been nice. That's all I've got.
@pupchow is correct. For most springer/break barrel air rifles a loose artillery hold has been shown to produce the best accuracy. Basically open palm under the balance point of the forearm, loose hold on grip and light pressure against shoulder. The recoil impulse is a little weird if you're used to firearms as the first impulse is toward the muzzle (rifle components moving forward in response to pressure generation action), followed by impulse away from the muzzle (normal recoil from acceleration of the pellet and blast). If you hard hold, your resistance to the initial impulse messes up your aim for the final shot. Break barrel pellet guns can be very accurate, they are just very different in feel/technique to PCPs/CO2 rifles or firearms.

When these threads pop up. I mention that I have a .22 cal Benjamin Marauder. Which I totally love. I bought the upgraded one with the railed receiver, and LW barrel. I use a Hill Mk4 hand pump to charge up the air cylinder to 3000 psi. I'm averaging 30 good accurate shots, (3 magazines) before the velocity begins to drop, and I've got to top it back up. If you don't mind the dovetail europian style scope mount, Amazon's got one in your price range.
Mine really likes the JSB Exact jumbo heavy diablo ppellets. 18.3 grains. But still shoots well with the crossman .22 cal pellets I find at walmart.

Walmart had many to chose from. I'm very happy!!!
Walmart, type pellet gun , filters , select velocity greater than 750 fps.
Select customer reviews 4 stars and higher.
Then load results.
You'll have over 30 to chose from. Mine is on there and I have been very happy with it for 3 years now.

Edit: I took mine to the range and I dialed in the scope that comes with it, and has been a dream since. I shoot a grouping the size of a quarter with the .177 hollow point pellets at 50 yards.

That’s impressive.

My Crossman Valiant SDB nitro piston .22 can’t shoot that at 30 yards. It can land a few shots within an inch at 30 yards, but then it will have a flyer or two out at like 2”. I’ve tried Al sorts of different pellets and slugs from different manufacturers and weights. I just assumed it was the fact it was a piston and not a PCP.

A445C971-187E-474A-BF4B-DDAA1042702E.jpeg

Last edited:

If you have good stuff the squirrels want, you won’t get rid of them with a pellet gun. All the other squirrels from the neighborhood will come in to fill the void, The pellet method of eradication may be fun, but it isn’t effective.

I'd just use a non-semiauto .22 with CBs. Just as quiet as a pellet gun, extremely accurate, and powerful enough for a humane kill.
Worth noting it's still a firearm and as stupid as the law is, one can't legally discharge within 500' of a dwelling w/o owners permission. Excepting a couple F-R towns, airguns are GTG everywhere.

@Pilgrims Pride - I just picked up a Benjamin Marauder pistol with the adapter and M4 stock. There are lower cost options too. Check out Pyramid Air, AirGunDepot, etc.- they are currently running a promo and include a decent hand pump with the Benjamin stuff. This makes getting into PCP much easier and cheaper. The .22 cal Marauder pistol has an 8-round mag for quick follow up shots. Still waiting for a 11mm dovetail to picatinny adapter so I can mount the scope, but I'll report on accuracy once I start shooting it.

Can you store a PCP charged? Instant readiness is a must have for me. The sub $200 Gamo has served me well but the floating rest hold is a must…

Can you store a PCP charged? Instant readiness is a must have for me. The sub $200 Gamo has served me well but the floating rest hold is a must…
Not only can, but should -- only time the air reservoir ought to be "empty" is for shipping.
General advice is storage at spec pressure, with the bolt closed on an empty "chamber", keeps the o-rings/seals in good shape.

It's pricy, but I have one of these:
Gamo Swarm Fusion 10X Gen3i Air Rifle with Scope

Has killed a bunch of chipmunks. Oddly enough, the scope is actually adequate. Normally the included scopes suck.

I use Gamo Rocket pellets.

Gamo Swarm is a nice quiet option. But after getting my first PCP, I may never go back to break barrel!

View: https://youtu.be/OZ7WzbdFnEE

I did a bunch of research a few years ago (most of the others mentioned above were part of that comparison) and for me, I got this as well...this break barrel is no joke...eat your spinach...and it isn't quiet, faux silencer or not...test and test and test with pellets, and then test again...absolutely packs a punch for small game once you can dial it in.

Back
Top Bottom