Long guns in Westchester county

21H

Hi all,

I'm familiar with the protections of FOPA if I were only traveling through, but I'm curious about traveling to Westchester County and stopping for a few days with some long arms.

Any reason I'd be prohibited from bringing a couple of autoloading shotguns with me (5 round capacity)? Would plan to keep cased and locked in a car with no separate trunk.

Thanks in advance for any answers!

I'm sure some one will correct me, but FOPA Only covers you while you travel through that state. By staying multiple nights and actively using the firearms, you are governed by the local laws and restrictions.

I'm sure some one will correct me, but FOPA Only covers you while you travel through that state. By staying multiple nights and actively using the firearms, you are governed by the local laws and restrictions.

Absolutely CORRECT!!

I don't know the specifics of NY City or State laws wrt possession of guns, just that you'd never catch me in either with any guns at any time . . . other than a straight thru drive with no stops for more than a quick meal, gas or bathroom break! IMNSHO it just isn't worth the risk of high lawyer bills and potentially becoming a PP!

Possession of your shotguns is not regulated in ny. NYC excluded from this statement.

Any long gun can be possessed (awb is still in effect) in ny state by anyone resident or not.

Fopa not needed. Stop all you wAnt.

Handguns are just a big no no across the entire state.

Possession of your shotguns is not regulated in ny. NYC excluded from this statement.

Any long gun can be possessed (awb is still in effect) in ny state by anyone resident or not.

Fopa not needed. Stop all you wAnt.

Handguns are just a big no no across the entire state.

100% correct; long guns are fine (subject to AWB - they still have magazine limits) but handguns are completely verboten. You need a handgun permit to own them and they do NOT give out non-resident permits any more.

Hat tip to Kevlar for the post on magazines...

Kevlar said:
http://www.ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article265.htm

S 265.00 Definitions.

>snip<

23. "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt,
drum, feed strip, or similar device, manufactured after September
thirteenth, nineteen hundred ninety-four, that has a capacity of, or
that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten
rounds of ammunition; provided, however, that such term does not include
an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating
only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.
S 265.02 Criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree.

A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the third
degree when:

>snip<

(8) Such person possesses a large capacity ammunition feeding device.

Back
Top Bottom