long gun question

I know it's pretty hard to find MA compliant handguns on Gunbroker.com. I am now after some long guns and have never researched the laws about buying from out of state. Are there limitations relating to buying long guns and haveing them shipped into MA like with the EOPS handgun list?

No. Every long gun I own came from somewhere else. Follow the federal law of having it shipped to an FFL for you to pick up and you'll be fine. There are independent FFLs who do this kind of thing by appointment for 1/2 of what the big gun stores charge.

Just don't do something stupid like buy something that falls under the Assault Weapons Ban (not just the rifle... make sure the mags are preban too) At best your FFL will not release it to you, and at worst you will be on the news.

Last edited:
Thanks crak. Anyone know a good FFL like crak mentioned to do less expensive transfers in western MA?

You can buy any rifle/shotgun you want as long as the guns or
magazines don't violate the 94 AWB. (genuine prebans excepted, of course)
You can also go to other non commie states (eg, NH, VT, ME) and buy
long guns (from FFL dealers) as long as you register it on an FA-10 when you get back.

-Mike

You beat me to it. [smile]

Yes just bring your LTC for long guns. I could've sworn there was once something federal about buying guns straight from the FFL in that state only in neighboring states (ie. CT, RI, VT, NH, NY, but not ME or PA) but this is apparently not the case anymore.

Crak, you are right on both counts!

1986 (that gave us FOPA) also changed the neighboring states BS so that per Fed Law we can buy anywhere in the US. Some states however still restrict to neighboring states and some (like MA) don't allow any NR sales at all!

So one has to check individual state laws. Here's a bit of info that I know from personal experience:

- NH - LTC, NICS at FFL and you're good to go.
- CT - Can NOT purchase ANYTHING (even with C&R FFL) and carry it home. Two week waiting period UNLESS you have a CT CCW (NR CT CCW is fine). With the CT CCW, you can be "cash and carry" at the local CT dealer.
- FL - Waiting period (forget how many days) in Broward and Miami-Dade Counties (think Palm Beach County too, but not 100% positive) UNLESS you have a FL CCW (NR CCW is fine). Other counties will sell to NRs cash and carry with NICS, 4473.
- MA - NO sales of any guns, ammo or hi-cap mags to anyone with out a RESIDENT LTC/FID (appropriate for gun/ammo). So NRs are SOL here.

I know it's pretty hard to find MA compliant handguns on Gunbroker.com. I am now after some long guns and have never researched the laws about buying from out of state. Are there limitations relating to buying long guns and haveing them shipped into MA like with the EOPS handgun list?
Hmmm...that's not a very long gun question at all.

Hmmm...that's not a very long gun question at all.

Actually, it is:

are there limitations relating to buying long guns and haveing [sic] them shipped into MA like with the EOPS handgun list?

Given that we're talking Massachusetts, with megalomaniacal AG's and AFR's, he's just being properly prudent.

Of course, we've discussed this before, but we'll give him high marks for being careful.

Actually, it is:

Given that we're talking Massachusetts, with megalomaniacal AG's and AFR's, he's just being properly prudent.

Of course, we've discussed this before, but we'll give him high marks for being careful.
Ah, yes, and for the humor-challenged:
It is not a long gun question. It is a question about long guns.

This may be redundant, but all the above info applies on all long guns? Even a Sporter, Bushmaster, or similar AR style gun?

Back
Top Bottom