• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

locked shotgun and ammo in trunk

Once a week, I travel to my local gun club for skeet shooting. My trigger locked shotgun in case and 2 boxes of shells are locked in car trunk.

Question 1: Can the trigger locked gun and shells be legally stored together in the locked car trunk?

Question 2: Is it legal to leave locked car with trigger locked shotgun and shells in locked car truck to go into Dunkin Donuts (for example) or it this technically considered leaving a potential weapon unattended?

Thanks !

Yes. to q. 1 and yes to q. 2. Keep in mind a trigger lock is unnecessary so long as the gun is unloaded, the trunk is properly locked, and you have the requisite gun license.

1) Yes, your shotgun and shells in a locked trunk is legal. Note that if the shotgun is not a large capacity weapon, there is no legal requirement to have it locked up while transporting it in a vehicle. If it is a large capacity weapon, it must be enclosed in a locked container (a trigger lock is NOT acceptable), however a locked truck is an acceptable alternative to a locked container. There is no legal requirement that ammunition be locked up. The only requirement is that the gun is not loaded. (C 140 S 131C)

2) When leaving the guns unattended in a vehicle, even if they are not large capacity weapons, they need to be contained in a locked trunk or case. (C 140 S 131C & S 131L)

In other words, your behavior seems legally ok to me. However, don't make the mistake of transporting a shotgun outside the locked trunk with only a trigger lock if it is a large capacity weapon.

Gee, in this state, Lock the Container (The Vehicle or Trunk), Lock The guns in some other container, and lock that container to part of the frame...

How many locks must be broken by a felon before you are not liable for improper storage..

(I have embellished a bit here)

[sad2]

Back
Top Bottom