Local PD has AD with AR-15

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
I just heard from a PO friend that a local PD West of Boston, had an accidental discharge of one of their AR-15's, resulting in a blown-out window on a cruiser.
According to the story, the officer was driving down the street with the AR securely mounted in the overhead rack. The next thing he knew, he hit a pothole, resulting in "kaboom". It sounds like a coverup story for mishandling of the weapon because I've seen how these are mounted. If it discharged while secured in the mount, it would have blown a hole in the passenger side "B" pillar, NOT the passenger side rear window. Also, they're not supposed to have a chambered round in the rifle when it's locked in the mount. BTW, don't look for this story in the local papers, it's been hushed up.

I'm sure if that happened to any of us it would be hushed up in the media as well...

image002.jpg

Weird. Mine has one of those shoulder things that go up .... I think the instruction manual called it a selector switch ... or a safety ... or some such , sposed to stop the gun from just going off for the hell of it.

I think I just saw a selector switch available in the classifieds... they must have lost theirs...

Fix the title...I prefer ND .... [wink]

If there were a safe way to do it, I'd challenge anyone to chamber a round in an AR-15, take the safety off and hit the butt with a sledgehammer and make it go off...Not going to happen...

Wait... if it's safe, then isn't that a safe way to do it? [wink]

Musta been an Olympic Arms.

Weird. Mine has one of those shoulder things that go up .... I think the instruction manual called it a selector switch ... or a safety ... or some such , sposed to stop the gun from just going off for the hell of it.

While I'll agree it seems unlikely, the safety on the AR/M-16 platform is a trigger block from my training. The firing pin can still, in theory, set the gun off.

I'd like to see the pothole that caused this type of AD/ND in a typical police platform vehicle.

Every discharge I've heard of is from either a tree branch or a finger on the trigger with the safety off.

I've yet to hear of a ND that couldn't be explained away by an errant booger hook on the bang button. Including the few that I may or may not have witnessed.[wink]

My entire street is a pre-ban pothole. And I'm sure Zero Hour will have enough to last us a long, long time.

Back
Top Bottom