• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Local AK Builders

I’m eyeing the recent batch of Hungarian AK63F parts kits that Arms of America has for sale but don’t have the tools or the know how to build it myself. I’d like a fixed stock version to accompany my SA-85M underfolder.

Can anybody recommend a good AK builder in New England, preferably NH, that may be willing to take on this kind of project?

I’m eyeing the recent batch of Hungarian AK63F parts kits that Arms of America has for sale but don’t have the tools or the know how to build it myself. I’d like a fixed stock version to accompany my SA-85M underfolder.

Can anybody recommend a good AK builder in New England, preferably NH, that may be willing to take on this kind of project?
Why don’t you want to do it yourself?
It is really not that difficult.

Why don’t you want to do it yourself?
It is really not that difficult.
I don’t doubt that I could learn to do it, but parts kits are so expensive now that I don’t see myself doing enough builds to justify the cost of the tools.

I don’t doubt that I could learn to do it, but parts kits are so expensive now that I don’t see myself doing enough builds to justify the cost of the tools.
The only justification here is your own satisfaction from a new acquired skill. But, yeah, it is stupid expensive now indeed. And there is some non zero chance to screw up things. Yet when it is all done, by yourself- it is a good feeling.

Not sure such an animal exists. If someone were licensed to build firearms, probably they would not be looking to complete someone else's kit project. I could be wrong about that, but if I am I bet the cost would be quite high. Didn't build parties get killed over the licensing questions?

Anyway, during peak Wu Flu lock-down I assigned myself some hands-on therapy. Made most of my own tools and those I purchased were relatively inexpensive. Here's the thread for my first attempt at building an AK along with all the DIY tools, and it is also a Hungarian-

Wu Flu Quarantine Build - Hungarian FEG AK - w/ Pics

ILbEHCsh.jpg

If you purchase a kit with an installed and headspaced barrel, that eliminates one of the most difficult steps.

Your build looks a lot like my KBI import SA-85M right down to the short AMD65 gas system, cut down gas tube, neutered gas block and front sight post and AMD65 muzzle brake.

Very cool thread and project btw. AK builders are most definitely a thing and I do not see how there could be any legal issue with it, especially if they are also FFLs. If I buy a receiver and have it transferred to me at an FFL, then bring it along with a parts kit to another guy who puts it all together, why should there be any problem? Isn’t the receiver considered the “firearm”?

Plenty of mfgs out there, think the mill, one that has the tools and wants to do it, that'll be harder to find. And it will likely cost the same as fining what you want and buying it. Remember, they will still be the mfg and all paperwork, numbers, and liabilities will still apply.

There's Sellrain in Maine but he's taking 2021 off from new work. There's also MacPherson Firearms in NH and @daekken had a Bulgarian AKS-74 built by them recently. There are a couple other small time builders, but Sellrain and MacPherson are the two I'd suggest.

Ok so it isn’t worth it at all. Thanks for saving me the money!

Having an AK built for you makes sense when you want something that isn't commercially available. If you're into collecting specific AK variants, then hiring a builder versus building yourself becomes a time-money equation - how much is your time and effort worth versus how much are you willing to pay. Plus, if you have a very expensive and irreplaceable kit, let's say a PLO Soviet AKM kit, or a very nice milled gun kit, it might be something you wouldn't want to do yourself. Or, another example is if you want something that would require more advanced work, like say an adjustable gas block.

Realize that a builder is going to charge somewhere between $500 and $800 currently. And many of the quality AK builders aren't taking new work or only take very certain kinds of work. So, the AK-63F kits sold by AOA are going to be $820 plus let's say $800 for the builder plus shipping and other incidental costs plus the cost of a receiver and other parts, like say 922(r) parts because gunsmith-builders typically require customers' rifles to conform to 922(r).

Is it worth $1620 plus the cost of a receiver and other ancillary costs for you? That's a question you and only you can answer.

Your build looks a lot like my KBI import SA-85M right down to the short AMD65 gas system, cut down gas tube, neutered gas block and front sight post and AMD65 muzzle brake.

Very cool thread and project btw. AK builders are most definitely a thing and I do not see how there could be any legal issue with it, especially if they are also FFLs. If I buy a receiver and have it transferred to me at an FFL, then bring it along with a parts kit to another guy who puts it all together, why should there be any problem? Isn’t the receiver considered the “firearm”?
Person putting it together would become a manufacturer, no? I'm not well versed on this but there are threads regarding the issue.

There's Sellrain in Maine but he's taking 2021 off from new work. There's also MacPherson Firearms in NH and @daekken had a Bulgarian AKS-74 built by them recently. There are a couple other small time builders, but Sellrain and MacPherson are the two I'd suggest.

Having an AK built for you makes sense when you want something that isn't commercially available. If you're into collecting specific AK variants, then hiring a builder versus building yourself becomes a time-money equation - how much is your time and effort worth versus how much are you willing to pay. Plus, if you have a very expensive and irreplaceable kit, let's say a PLO Soviet AKM kit, or a very nice milled gun kit, it might be something you wouldn't want to do yourself. Or, another example is if you want something that would require more advanced work, like say an adjustable gas block.

Realize that a builder is going to charge somewhere between $500 and $800 currently. And many of the quality AK builders aren't taking new work or only take very certain kinds of work. So, the AK-63F kits sold by AOA are going to be $820 plus let's say $800 for the builder plus shipping and other incidental costs plus the cost of a receiver and other parts, like say 922(r) parts because gunsmith-builders typically require customers' rifles to conform to 922(r).

Is it worth $1620 plus the cost of a receiver and other ancillary costs for you? That's a question you and only you can answer.
Very cool to hear that such services are still out there.

$1600 give or take is what I expected. If I could grab a fixed stock Kassnar SA-85M I would, but I bet they are pushing $3k now. As for 922r, that’s easy. Just hand the builder a set of polymer US made furniture and a magpul magazine and tell him not to put a muzzle device on. If you want to get fancy give him a US FCG too.

Person putting it together would become a manufacturer, no? I'm not well versed on this but there are threads regarding the issue.
If they are starting with an 80% or less receiver then yes they are the manufacturer. If they are taking a complete serialized receiver and assembling a gun then they are a gunsmith, not a manufacturer. Only you, building a gun for yourself can start with an 80% or less without having an 07-FFL

If they are starting with an 80% or less receiver then yes they are the manufacturer. If they are taking a complete serialized receiver and assembling a gun then they are a gunsmith, not a manufacturer. Only you, building a gun for yourself can start with an 80% or less without having an 07-FFL
Thanks for that- a very clear and concise answer!

Back
Top Bottom