• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

License upgrade question

steve8140

NES Member
Someone I know lives in Dorchester and has had several shootings in the surrounding areas lately including one in front of her home today. She already has her license for a little over a year but it is restricted to no carry.

My question is, can she get in contact with the licensing authority and get it upgraded to allow her to carry? Would she just need to fill out some paperwork or pay an additional $100? Would she need to wait until a renewal time in 4 years?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
She can write to Lt Det John McDonough at BPD asking for her restrictions to be removed. No paperwork or fees required; they just take the old license and hand over the new one. Good luck though; it takes a lot to get unrestricted in Boston.

They will tell her if she fears for her life call 911, or just move.

This is actually something I'm currently trying to do. I live in Boston and have had my license for about a year now. I desperately want the restriction removed so I can carry. Has anyone ever had success getting their restriction removed in Boston? When I went to the station for my interview, the very nice police officer I spoke with told me to write a letter to Lt McDonough as well. I figured I'd try to help my chances a bit and got some concealed carry classes under my belt beforehand hoping that it makes some sort of difference. I hate that I have to petition to be able to protect myself. There was a shooting on my street a few weeks ago and I can't exactly get up and move anytime soon. Any success stories??

I did it and so have several friends. If you're not connected, you need to be a doctor, lawyer, or NRA instructor.

Has anyone had luck requesting restrictions removal from your LTC if you've moved?

I know that if move from a red town to a green town, some folks will see if the red town LO is willing to cancel your LTC and you can apply in the new green town prior to renewal. But is it an option that the LO for your LTC to remove your restrictions if you're not a resident of that town any longer?

Should I give it a go? I work at a bank and am often in charge of opening/closing. That should count! ;)

They may ask for your employer to prove its necessity, and then restrict you to employment. I would mention it for work unless you are ok with letting your employer know about your firearms hobby, etc.

No banks in this area will allow employees to carry and if your management found out you own guns, you are likely to undergo much more scrutiny than you would be comfortable with.

Good luck.

Has anyone had luck requesting restrictions removal from your LTC if you've moved?

I know that if move from a red town to a green town, some folks will see if the red town LO is willing to cancel your LTC and you can apply in the new green town prior to renewal. But is it an option that the LO for your LTC to remove your restrictions if you're not a resident of that town any longer?

Nope. Tried. Boston will not expire the LTC early. Fit into one of the boxes (lawyer, doctor, instructor) or have connections.

Back
Top Bottom