Leyden, MA Appleseed 5/22-23, 9/25-26, and 11/6-7

Still on track for two paid and one unpaid shooters, with maybe 1-2 more paid shooters unconfirmed, so long as it's not monsooning.

If there might be any loaners available, please shoot me a PM.

I am really jonesing to go to my first Appleseed. This is the first event I can find within a two hour drive for me, in Central CT. I am signed up and paid for the Simsbury CT event on July 10/11, but this event may be good for me too. Long drive up and back each day, that is for sure! Plus with this many confirmed shooters it looks like my son and I would get some real 1x1 attention! *grin*

So I will hem and haw about this for a day or two more. Plus I need to consider whether it is worth purchasing a gun case for my 795 LTRs. I really don't want to spend any more money on these rifles and was hoping to just lock them in the trunk with trigger locks. Oh well, one more thing to add to the pile of decisions to make!

edit: just re-read the rules, and it looks like I can just lock the guns in the trunk. I'll probably put trigger locks on them also just to be well within the rules. One less decision to make!

Last edited:
I am really jonesing to go to my first Appleseed. This is the first event I can find within a two hour drive for me, in Central CT. I am signed up and paid for the Simsbury CT event on July 10/11, but this event may be good for me too. Long drive up and back each day, that is for sure! Plus with this many confirmed shooters it looks like my son and I would get some real 1x1 attention! *grin*
fprintf, at the Athol shoot in February '09, we had two shooters - a father and his 14 year old son - drive THREE HOURS each way from southern NY state both days. The son went home with a Rifleman patch. Just get a good night's sleep the night before, be SURE your rifles are in GOOD WORKING ORDER - and by that, I mean RELIABLE (no FTFs, no FTEs, CLEANED and lubricated and have ammo that works well with them - and remember to leave your ego home. You won't need it. [wink]

So I will hem and haw about this for a day or two more. Plus I need to consider whether it is worth purchasing a gun case for my 795 LTRs. I really don't want to spend any more money on these rifles and was hoping to just lock them in the trunk with trigger locks. Oh well, one more thing to add to the pile of decisions to make!

I'd get the gun cases. This is MA; sanity does NOT rule here. Do I need to say anything more?

edit: just re-read the rules, and it looks like I can just lock the guns in the trunk. I'll probably put trigger locks on them also just to be well within the rules. One less decision to make!

If this is indeed as empty as it's been looking, it will be an excellent opportunity for anyone needing help.

Buy a cheap hard case with locking holes or a cheap soft case that you don't care about punching a hole (or three) through to padlock. There are lots of things that aren't legally required but are a good idea.

9 shooters signed up; we have room for 20, and the weather goddess looks like she's smiling on us. 70's and partly cloudy.

OK, here's a few things about this shoot.

1 - It's in the middle of NOWHERE. There is NO PLACE to get food for miles. The nearest place is at least 15 minutes away. BRING YOUR LUNCH and whatever you want to drink (and since it's going to be 80 on Saturday, bring lots to drink). We will have a grill there and some hot dogs & chips, though, if you don't want to bring something.

2 - GPS co-ordinates are N42 43.904 W72 39.692. The range is up at the end of River Road, spitting distance from the VT border. Here is the googlemaps link: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=42.731678,-72.661343&spn=0.009788,0.015256&t=h&z=16 The range is the open area in the center of the map, just south of the border. 200 yard range is the longer, northern clearing, 25 yard range is the southern, shorter area, and the parking lot is in the middle. If your GPS doesn't see the dirt road, then look for the intersection of Gates Road and River Road and keep going north.

3 - River Road is a one mile long dirt road (sign says it's non-maintained road but it's very passable. Just keep your speed down) and it turns into a logging road past the range - impassible unless you have serious off-road capability, I'm told. So you can't come in from VT that way! No matter what Googlemaps says.

4 - The range is all grass covered but no shade. You may want to bring a popup or dining fly to be under for the history portions. Bring a folding chair, too, or you can sit on the grass. Your call.

5 - There is NO CLUBHOUSE... just a porta-potty. We'll be outside all day. Please plan accordingly. Remember to bring water, bug spray and sunblock. A rag or towel to put over your rifle (after we clear the line) to keep it from getting very hot isn't a bad idea, either.

6 - There's a 200 yard range, so we should be doing some known distance shooting on Sunday. Bring a center-fire rifle, ammo and a spotting scope (if you have one - if you don't, don't worry about it).

Hey! Y'all getting excited? I am! Looks to be a good shoot!

Last edited:
Getting really psyched!! By the sounds of it this place it is in the middle of nowhere... banjos and guitars necessary? :)

I don't have a popup canopy, if folks bring one I hope they won't mind if my friend and I park our butts underneath yours for a bit. Went shopping last night and have some snacks & drinks (Gatorade) to bring along. This should be tons of fun and while we will only be there Saturday, I hope all the instructors won't mind the amount of time required to spend with us two rifle newbies.

Can someone take a quick look at the Google Maps directions and let me know if this is the easiest way to get into the range?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...647095&sspn=1.037283,1.766052&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=9

I have some experience up in this neck of the woods and know that often the Google Maps directions are less efficient than a local might pick -- e.g. go a little further down Rte. 2, towards Shelburne Falls, hang a right onto the Colrain Road might be longer distance but shorter/easier? We use to do this when driving to Mt. Snow all the time.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...1938,-72.690182&spn=0.06441,0.110378&t=h&z=13

Last edited:
Getting really psyched!! By the sounds of it this place it is in the middle of nowhere... banjos and guitars necessary? :)

Strangely enough, the local instructor DID mention something about bringing his banjo... [devil]

I don't have a popup canopy, if folks bring one I hope they won't mind if my friend and I park our butts underneath yours for a bit.
Went shopping last night and have some snacks & drinks (Gatorade) to bring along.

There should be at least two there, and the forecast is calling for partly cloudy, so we probably won't bake that badly. But do bring sunblock; you'll be spending a good amount of time out on the line in the sun.

I hope all the instructors won't mind the amount of time required to spend with us two newbies.

Mind??? Hell, no! We live for this stuff!! We LIKE having newbies on the line.

I wish i had seen this earlier. too late now to come up with the fee and 1,000 rounds

ross, what is needed to make rifleman ie what distance and what %? does it even go by that? would both days be required to make rifleman? you can use a 22 right? i'm thinking i'll make one of these sooner or later and i might be able to hit 2 out of 1,000 @ 200 yards....lol just kidding don't know what i could do.

Can someone take a quick look at the Google Maps directions and let me know if this is the easiest way to get into the range?

Looks like it, but I'm not from 'round those parts, so I'm getting there by my GPS. At least the end part of your trip seems to be spot-on.

ross, what is needed to make rifleman ie what distance and what %? does it even go by that? would both days be required to make rifleman? you can use a 22 right? i'm thinking i'll make one of these sooner or later and i might be able to hit 2 out of 1,000 @ 200 yards....lol just kidding don't know what i could do.

You can shoot an entire shoot with a .22 - all of the instruction is at 25 meters. We Instructors will have a few centerfire rifles with us this weekend (if for nothing else than to do some shooting of our own after the shoot is over Sunday night) so you could borrow one. However, if you're not hitting at 25 meters, there's no point in shooting the known distance portion.

If you want, hit a Walmart on the way out tomorrow (or I can sell you a box of Federal bulk pack) for a box of .22. There's room on the line, and a one day walk-in registration is only $50. You'll only need 500 or fewer rounds for Saturday. A better value for instruction you won't find. And yes, you can obviously use a .22. The steps to firing a shot are the same whether you're using a 30-06 or a .22 - why do you think that most of the major militaries used .22 trainers at one point or another?

As for how long it'll take you to make Rifleman... It depends on YOU. On how well you listen to the instruction and how well you put it into practice. I've seen people make Rifleman in one day, in two days... or never. It's all up to you. A Rifleman score is 210 on the old Army Qualification Test - Expert.

Looks like it, but I'm not from 'round those parts, so I'm getting there by my GPS. At least the end part of your trip seems to be spot-on.

As for how long it'll take you to make Rifleman... It depends on YOU. On how well you listen to the instruction and how well you put it into practice. I've seen people make Rifleman in one day, in two days... or never. It's all up to you. A Rifleman score is 210 on the old Army Qualification Test - Expert.

actually what i meant was not if it could be done, as in could someone learn it, but if the qualification process was a 2 day process. OK let me try this again what i mean is if a person is good enough, is there enough time in a day to go through what is needed to reach rifleman. how many shots in the qualification of "rifleman" do you take for the test.

see you mentioned a score of 210, being the newbie i am i have no clue what that means, which is what i am trying to figure out. do you take 20 shots for the process? 50? 100? i'm sure you don't keep shooting till you have the 210. there has to be a limit, right? i'm not talking about the learning done during the day, just the qualification part.

this is starting to sound like when i do this (not saying i'll be there sat. yet) i'm saying it's a piece of cake, FAR FROM IT. i'm trying to judge how far i have to go in my shooting.

BTW would i need to bring targets? how many?

If the cost of ammo is what's putting you off, I'll make you a bet: I'll provide you with .22 ammo. Shoot rifleman with it, and you don't owe me a dime.

thanks but not needed as i have the rounds already. I just don't know if i have the funds this quick for the entry, gas, targets yadda yadda yadda and then there is the issue of deciding if i think the car will make it. I need to figure it out today. don't be surprised if you do see me and don't be surprised if you don't. i need to figure it out quick...lol

if the qualification process was a 2 day process.

It's not.

OK let me try this again what i mean is if a person is good enough, is there enough time in a day to go through what is needed to reach rifleman.

Yes. You could conceivably make Rifleman by early afternoon on Saturday when we shoot the first AQT.

see you mentioned a score of 210, being the newbie i am i have no clue what that means, which is what i am trying to figure out. do you take 20 shots for the process? 50? 100? i'm sure you don't keep shooting till you have the 210. there has to be a limit, right?

No. No limit. The only limit is how much ammo you have with you, how long you want to shoot and how many targets I have with me... and I just got a two inch stack of 'em. An AQT is 40 rounds in 4 minutes. We shoot several AQTs over the course of the weekend AFTER you get your instruction. This is very similar to the training the military gets in terms of what you're taught (we don't scream at you or make you do pushups, though). And if you don't shoot Rifleman at your first shoot, you can sign up for as many as you like. I went to three shoots over the course of a year before I scored Rifleman. Spent a lot of time on the range between shoots practicing, too.

this is starting to sound like when i do this (not saying i'll be there sat. yet) i'm saying it's a piece of cake, FAR FROM IT. i'm trying to judge how far i have to go in my shooting.

BTW would i need to bring targets? how many?

Here's what you should bring: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=8162.0

We supply targets, chamber flags, instructional handouts (so you can continue to practice and learn by yourself at home) and instruction. If there's something you need to borrow (like a shooting mat - not needed but highly recommended), you can make arrangements with the shoot boss (for this shoot, that'd be me) if he has stuff to loan.

thanks this "No. No limit. The only limit is how much ammo you have with you, how long you want to shoot and how many targets I have with me... and I just got a two inch stack of 'em. An AQT is 40 rounds in 4 minutes. We shoot several AQTs over the course of the weekend AFTER you get your instruction. This is very similar to the training the military gets in terms of what you're taught (we don't scream at you or make you do pushups, though). And if you don't shoot Rifleman at your first shoot, you can sign up for as many as you like. I went to three shoots over the course of a year before I scored Rifleman. Spent a lot of time on the range between shoots practicing, too." is what i was trying to get at.

let me see what i can do today and I'll post back tonight. thanks guys oh one more thing can i bring a friend who will most likely not be shooting? - i haven't talked to him about it yet.

I'll be offline, probably until Sunday night, most likely. If you want to come out, just come out and show up. Get there no later than 8:30 (a little earlier, if you can) and you can sign up right then.

If you have a friend who wants to watch, that's fine. S/he just has to sign a waiver.

IMG_1494.JPG

Thanks everyone for all the help, this was truly an awesome experience that I hope I can one day share with others.

This was an awesome shoot - 4 new Riflemen and one young shooter who did a HELL of a job going from a "scattergun" target on Saturday morning (the first time he'd EVER shot a rifle) to shooting 1 and 2 MOA groups (with the aid of a bipod, as the rifle was a bit too heavy for him). I've got to give credit to Mike91LX for coaching young Blake along today - he did a GREAT job.

I'll have a full AAR up tomorrow - I need some sleep (as, I'm sure, do all the IITs).

Known distance was ridiculously fun...as was pelting the crap out of steel while Ed was serenading the locals.

Matt, thanks for the corrosive ammo. I think this was the first time she's cleaned that gun since she bought it. Vicki's shoulder looks a heck of a lot worse in person than in the photo. SHE says her shoulder's fine, looks pretty painful to me. [laugh]

Attachments

• IMAG0041.jpg
    IMAG0041.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 20
I hit 199 on my AQT. So close.. oh so close... :) Cleaning the red coat felt awesome! Great time and I can not wait until the next appleseed!

How'd you do Ted? I saw the red coat pics but the holes don't come through with the poor resolution...

If SHE'S not complaining, then why the heck are YOU??? [laugh]
No complaints at all, just thinking about how my shoulder felt the last time it looked like that. I'm more than happy to have someone who'll put up with the bumps, bruises, bug bites, sunburn, and other associated pains of Appleseed, shooting, and other outdoors endeavours. [grin]

Yes Todd scored it.

Not this Todd but still a great score

The difference between 199 and 210 was what? Any holes not scoring points. And if they all scored points, where could you pick up a few more points? Stage 1 & 2 are sometimes obvious sources of points based on my own experience - if your off down low then that's great news as that will come with practice.

Hope to see you in Pelham - Looking forward to working with you All, shooters and instructors

As for the KD stuff - My own adventures in VA have shown me the light, I am only just starting now that I have my Rifleman patch - consistently reaching out at 100yds and beyond yards is the challenge

Known distance was ridiculously fun...as was pelting the crap out of steel while Ed was serenading the locals.

That was awesome. An HSC membership is definitely in my immediate future.

Matt, thanks for the corrosive ammo. I think this was the first time she's cleaned that gun since she bought it. Vicki's shoulder looks a heck of a lot worse in person than in the photo. SHE says her shoulder's fine, looks pretty painful to me. [laugh]

You're very welcome, I'm always happy see ammo get used[grin].

The shoulder doesn't look that bad... I had much worse the first time I shot a 12 gauge. Just don't forget that Moisin when you remind her who does the cooking[wink].

Back
Top Bottom