LexisNexis Help?

MaverickNH

NES Member
Maybe a lawyer with LexisNexis access can help me here...

I'm looking at a Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health 2014 article that looks to relate Serious Mental Illness and Dangerous Weapons in the media. http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/abs/10.2105/AJPH.2013.301557

What the authors are trying to do is point out that news articles that discuss Serious Mental Illness and Dangerous Weapons in weeks after mass killings too often focus on Serious Mental Illness (SMI) without noting that: 1) the SMI population are stigmatized, 2) negative attitudes about SMI leads to reluctance in seeking treatment, 3) increases public desire for social distance from SMI, 4) most with SMI are not violent, 5) predicting violence with SMI is difficult. But what they are really trying to do is tell the media to stop writing about Serious Mental Illness and emphasize that guns are bad. The authors come from Bloomberg's Center for Firearms Research and Policy, after all...

Where I think they fudge is their LexisNexis search strategy of looking for Mental Illness AND guns, and making their case that the public is mislead. They found n=5199 articles 1997-2012, which I think way under-reports all articles on guns in the news media.

Unfortunately, the LexisNexis Academic version I have access to has a 1000 hit limitation. I need a full search of LexisNexis for news media articles on the below from 1997-2012, just to know the number of hits:

(gun OR "gun control" OR "gun violence" OR "gun legislation" OR "gun law" OR "gun policy" OR "gun regulation" OR firearm OR "firearms control" OR "firearm violence" OR "firearm legislation" OR "firearm regulation")

Thanks for any help!

Back
Top Bottom