• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Out of state residency. HELP

As soon as you move out of state, aren't you supposed to notify Chelsea and your local PD? And your LTC becomes no longer valid and you'll have to reapply for a yearly non resident one at a hundred bucks a year? Or do security guards have special arrangements?

Notify the FRB and local PD when you move, but most likely they will change the address on your LTC to the NH address, but won't expire it (so you will still have an active resident LTC). Book the appointment in Chelsea for January.

As soon as you move out of state, aren't you supposed to notify Chelsea and your local PD? And your LTC becomes no longer valid and you'll have to reapply for a yearly non resident one at a hundred bucks a year? Or do security guards have special arrangements?
If they don't expire it I don't think you can apply for a non res while it is still active.

As soon as you move out of state, aren't you supposed to notify Chelsea and your local PD?
this is correct (specifically, within 30 days...)
And your LTC becomes no longer valid
this is incorrect
and you'll have to reapply for a yearly non resident one at a hundred bucks a year?
this is correct
Or do security guards have special arrangements?
no special arrangements (to my knowledge)

MICRS still shows resident licenses active and valid with the out of state address until they expire. Is it still fine to carry on one though? No idea
True. I also don't know the legality of carrying onth Resident LTC during that time.
If they don't expire it I don't think you can apply for a non res while it is still active.
Not true. My Resident LTC expired only recently. I've held a NR LTC for the past 3 years.

A non-resident LTC for an armed guard (the OP) is $100 every 2 years (See #5 in the attached link). It's possible to get an unrestricted LTC if the applicant can show fear of injury to his person or property, which I would think that an armed guard could prove. Otherwise, a restricted LTC only allows the OP to travel to and from his workplace with a firearm.

A non-resident LTC for an armed guard (the OP) is $100 every 2 years (See #5 in the attached link). It's possible to get an unrestricted LTC if the applicant can show fear of injury to his person or property, which I would think that an armed guard could prove. Otherwise, a restricted LTC only allows the OP to travel to and from his workplace with a firearm.

Restricted LTCs are no longer a thing post-Bruen?

MICRS still shows resident licenses active and valid with the out of state address until they expire. Is it still fine to carry on one though? No idea
This.
I was proving residency on taxes for split income between the states. Called the state and was informed my LTC is still active.
Not sure I’d trust using it.

Restricted LTCs are no longer a thing post-Bruen?

I don't know if that's true for a non-resident. Could be, I guess. If so, they haven't updated the application since the revised February 2021 date on the application. I posted it again because the one I posted above was older. The older one was downloaded from the mass.gov website. This link is from the DCJIS website. This state can't get anything right. [laugh]

I don't know if that's true for a non-resident. Could be, I guess. If so, they haven't updated the application since the revised February 2021 date on the application. I posted it again because the one I posted above was older. The older one was downloaded from the mass.gov website. This link is from the DCJIS website. This state can't get anything right. [laugh]

I wouldn't go by the application. The resident application hasn't changed either.

Question. I will be moving to NH, in July. I work as armed security in Mass. Just called Chelsea, next availble appt/interview is Jan 2024...What to do abour this
If you have an active LTC in Mass it's not going to expire magically contrary to what some people have been saying for years of course if you're close to expiration you might be up the creek....

ETA: In fairness I used to believe the same thing until I started running into people who were actually told by their issuing authority that it was okay to use until expiration regardless of where they lived.... after which point they would then have to pursue a non-resident license.

Last edited:
This.
I was proving residency on taxes for split income between the states. Called the state and was informed my LTC is still active.
Not sure I’d trust using it.

Nobody here has been able to show me any law that proves that its actually legally disqualified... as close as we get as conjecture based on "what somebody wants it to be/wishful thinking" but it's not reality because if it was, then eops/cjis would by admin revoking/expiring licenses upon notification.... and they're clearly not doing that.... because those licenses are still valid/legal until expiration. There are even a few police departments that are basically telling move outs the same thing... not that "the cops" are some kind of legal source of authority obviously.... but if some issuing authorities believe the same thing then I think that's at least a little relevant.

Question. I will be moving to NH, in July. I work as armed security in Mass. Just called Chelsea, next availble appt/interview is Jan 2024...What to do abour this
Did you talk to your company so they can work on it?

I will guess that a company that requires employees to carry a gun also has a way to get them a license faster than average peasants can get them.

Based on this, I would say YES.
But this is Mass, so maybe YES, maybe NO, maybe Unicorns, maybe depends on if the judge had a good night sleep ...

But...
If the State knows you moved.
The State UPDATED your address to an out of State address.
The State didn't cancel your license.

I would say - it is legal.

I am not a lawyer.

Doesn't your company have a knowledgeable lawyer you can ask what to do?

Nobody here has been able to show me any law that proves that its actually legally disqualified... as close as we get as conjecture based on "what somebody wants it to be/wishful thinking" but it's not reality because if it was, then eops/cjis would by admin revoking/expiring licenses upon notification.... and they're clearly not doing that.... because those licenses are still valid/legal until expiration. There are even a few police departments that are basically telling move outs the same thing... not that "the cops" are some kind of legal source of authority obviously.... but if some issuing authorities believe the same thing then I think that's at least a little relevant.
I have heard for years that it was still active until expiration so you are likely correct.

I ain’t being a test case.

True. I also don't know the legality of carrying onth Resident LTC during that time.

Not true. My Resident LTC expired only recently. I've held a NR LTC for the past 3 years.
Interesting. I must be confusing that with moving to a green town in MA and needing to have former PD expire the LTC before you can apply in the new town?

Interesting. I must be confusing that with moving to a green town in MA and needing to have former PD expire the LTC before you can apply in the new town?

That’s only if you wanted to rid yourself of a restricted license earlier than the expiration, since issuing PD controls it.

If you move and notify, no need to request expiration. Just renew with your new PD. Since restricted LTCs are no longer issued/enforced, I don’t see the reason to request early expiration anymore.

Just got this back from FRB. Moved to Southern NH, updated my address with FRB, and in the portal it shows my NH address and my LTC as active. Sent in app for non-res and confirmed the appointment for March 2024 :oops:. Asked them straight out if my LTC is still good to go until that appointment and this is what they responded with:
Screenshot 2023-07-07 at 2.23.30 PM.png

This crap is so confusing.

Just got this back from FRB. Moved to Southern NH, updated my address with FRB, and in the portal it shows my NH address and my LTC as active. Sent in app for non-res and confirmed the appointment for March 2024 :oops:. Asked them straight out if my LTC is still good to go until that appointment and this is what they responded with:
View attachment 772058

Typical Mass bullshit...you have to change the address on your MA LTC to your new out of state address and is it currently still active - oh but it is no longer valid once you move...:rolleyes:

View attachment 772058

I would love the reference to MGL whereby they explain how your LTC is no longer valid having properly notified them of the change of address. MGL covers how to APPLY based on residency, but after that there are no differences in the LTC. Of course, no one knows of any case law in play...

It also the case it is not criminal to carry w/o an LTC if you HAD an LTC and it was not suspended/revoked and you did not apply and get denied. Since your LTC still shows as valid it is clearly not suspended/revoked (again, no provision in MGL to do so for moving out of state). So at most you have a civil infraction.

I'm following this thread as my LTC expires in December, but we might be moving before that. Might.

I got a card from the FRB the other day telling me that I should renew early. Add to that the fact that my LTC expires on my 70th birthday and people 70 and above can renew for free.

What to do, what to do?

Ideally we'll be situated far away in a state that doesn't require a LTC. Which will allow me to carry until I can get a LTC since the reciprocity with other states is nice.

Back
Top Bottom