• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need help with sale of pistol question

I'm trying to understand how I, as a Mass. Resident, can sell a pistol to a resident of another state, then cmplete the FA10.

So, I sell to someone out of state, I bring or ship the pistol to that person state of residence FFL, we do the form, and done.

But how do I fill in the FA10 to show the transfer? Since the person wouldn't be a Mass. resident, Am I putting the "State Forearms Dealer License No." in the box, even if that FFL is from another state?

fa10 screenie.JPG

Its says this on the mass website, which is odd:

"It is unlawful to conduct a personal sale or transfer of a weapon to anyone other than an individual lawfully licensed in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. It is strongly recommended that you require the buyer/transferee to produce a valid FID/LTC License Validation Certificate (obtained by the buyer/transferee using this system) prior to conducting a personal sale or transfer."

You don't.

The eFA10 is only for transfers within the Commonwealth. You transfer the gun in accordance with federal law and you're done.

And before you ask - the firearm will never not be in your name. There is no way to change that. Our system is a record of transactions (within MA) not a registry. The best you can do is save a bill of sale and your shipping info.

You may find it easier to ship through a MA FFL, which might give you cause to enter their State dealer license number in the box...

MIRCS is for massachusetts... so you wouldn't / couldn't use it to record and out of state sale.

Unless you transferred it via a local FFL for them to send out. Then I supposed you could ask for their MA Dealers license which is different than their FFL.

But it will still show up in your history if anyone runs a report.

And before you ask - the firearm will never not be in your name. There is no way to change that. Our system is a record of transactions (within MA) not a registry.
Can confirm, when the police bullshit..ed..ly seized all my guns they met me at my apartment after I got discharged from the hospital (still not sure how they knew I was discharged, but, whatever) and they had a massive list of guns that were "in my name" despite having sold/traded etc all but like 4. The DB is ever expanding and never trimmed/actually updated

You don't.

The eFA10 is only for transfers within the Commonwealth. You transfer the gun in accordance with federal law and you're done.

And before you ask - the firearm will never not be in your name. There is no way to change that. Our system is a record of transactions (within MA) not a registry. The best you can do is save a bill of sale and your shipping info.

You may find it easier to ship through a MA FFL, which might give you cause to enter their State dealer license number in the box...
I once heard it is possible to "entice" someone at the frb to lose your records. Probably not true and even if so, terribly illegal.

You need an FFL in the buyer's state, period.

Can confirm, when the police bullshit..ed..ly seized all my guns they met me at my apartment after I got discharged from the hospital (still not sure how they knew I was discharged, but, whatever) and they had a massive list of guns that were "in my name" despite having sold/traded etc all but like 4. The DB is ever expanding and never trimmed/actually updated
Curious if they took your word the guns were gone or did you need to show them paperwork?

Curious if they took your word the guns were gone or did you need to show them paperwork?
What paperwork would I have shown them? hah, they were all efa10'd to people and I was under no obligation to (nor did I even begin to consider) dig up the transfer confirmations I emailed myself.
they did take my word for it tho.

What paperwork would I have shown them? hah, they were all efa10'd to people and I was under no obligation to (nor did I even begin to consider) dig up the transfer confirmations I emailed myself.
they did take my word for it tho.
Just curious, mainly wondering if they wanted to search your house for them.

Just curious, mainly wondering if they wanted to search your house for them.
nah, the cops that came to collect asked to come in to get them I said no, went and brought the (locked) range bag full of all my pistols to them on the porch, then went back in and carried the ammo storage crates out to them. they were less dick-ish than the original (piece of shit scumbag loser prick) cop that screamed at my elderly landlord and implied "things would be REALLY bad for her" if they needed to get a warrant to let them in

Back
Top Bottom