• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Out of state residency. HELP

Just got this back from FRB. Moved to Southern NH, updated my address with FRB, and in the portal it shows my NH address and my LTC as active. Sent in app for non-res and confirmed the appointment for March 2024 :oops:. Asked them straight out if my LTC is still good to go until that appointment and this is what they responded with:
View attachment 772058

This crap is so confusing.

That's very common in many states.

Again: there are jobs in NH where you won't deal with that bullshit.

As soon as you move out of state, aren't you supposed to notify Chelsea and your local PD? And your LTC becomes no longer valid and you'll have to reapply for a yearly non resident one at a hundred bucks a year? Or do security guards have special arrangements?
This is a fabrication - very common when interpreting MA gun law.

There are "experts" on NES who will explain that the unexpired LTC is no longer valid once you leave MA. What they have is common is the complete inability to cite a law, court decision, or even AG fabrication establishing this ... but they will offer "It makes sense...." or the classic "Well, I'd like to see you be the test case....."

If the LTC is expired, the offense is carrying on an expired LTC (civil) unless the LTC was revoked for a reason other than failure to file a change of address; you have had a renewal denied; or are barred by law from having an LTC.

But.....

The FRB email stating the license is no longer valid is new info - the first evidence I have seen of a state agency making such a claim. I wonder if this was one employee's interpretation or an actual policy position from the FRB.

I'm following this thread as my LTC expires in December, but we might be moving before that. Might.

I got a card from the FRB the other day telling me that I should renew early. Add to that the fact that my LTC expires on my 70th birthday and people 70 and above can renew for free.

What to do, what to do?

Ideally we'll be situated far away in a state that doesn't require a LTC. Which will allow me to carry until I can get a LTC since the reciprocity with other states is nice.
Since the cost is $0.00, I'd file for the renewal. Also see my response below.
This is a fabrication - very common when interpreting MA gun law.

There are "experts" on NES who will explain that the unexpired LTC is no longer valid once you leave MA. What they have is common is the complete inability to cite a law, court decision, or even AG fabrication establishing this ... but they will offer "It makes sense...." or the classic "Well, I'd like to see you be the test case....."

If the LTC is expired, the offense is carrying on an expired LTC (civil) unless the LTC was revoked for a reason other than failure to file a change of address; you have had a renewal denied; or are barred by law from having an LTC.

But.....

The FRB email stating the license is no longer valid is new info - the first evidence I have seen of a state agency making such a claim. I wonder if this was one employee's interpretation or an actual policy position from the FRB.
It's one person's opinion and none of them are lawyers.

My Resident LTC didn't expire until this year and >1 year after notifying FRB/PD, it validated in spite of my holding 2nd NR LTC renewed LTC.

It doesn't expire until it expires unless your PD administratively demands FRB to expire it early, period.

I don't know how a MA Marsupial Court would rule, but a strong case can be made with a validation from the FRB's own website.

Back
Top Bottom