• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lexington Police getting shooting range for 3.7 to 4.9 Million

I'd really like to know what exactly is costing $3.7 million? Are there high-tech computer controlled ranges with sensors? Does it include a $500k janitor?

used to be that all that departments along 128 would show up at the national guard base in reading and shoot there but I'm pretty sure that the people of Lynnfield put an end to life fire at that facility. after that the alternative was the Middlesex county sheriff's department had a tractor trailer equipped as a simulator. you used to see all the out-of-town cops either at the Honey dew donuts at the head of the lake in Wakefield or down at Brothers restaurant in this Wakefield square.

used to be that all that departments along 128 would show up at the national guard base in reading and shoot there but I'm pretty sure that the people of Lynnfield put an end to life fire at that facility. after that the alternative was the Middlesex county sheriff's department had a tractor trailer equipped as a simulator. you used to see all the out-of-town cops either at the Honey dew donuts at the head of the lake in Wakefield or down at Brothers restaurant in this Wakefield square.
The wagon was in the parking lot. Been gone a while. Must be out doing police work by a bunch of prison guards.

Gloucester PD uses Cape Ann Sportsmans Club range twice a year for free. Though I've "heard" that they have an indoor range on the top floor above the courthouse in Gloucester. No idea if that's true or if it still gets used.

But anyway, using the local range instead of building their own definitely saves us taxpayers money.

Devens is close and South Post is underutilized. I'm shocked the super Liberal citizens of Lexington approved this expenditure. The anti-gun Harvard Professor who proposed banning assault weapons in Lexington must be livid.

From my experience, PDs are cheap and don't pay for use of ranges. They want to do it locally to minimize OT costs and they hate paying for the ammo needed for training/qualifications. Over my years we went from 2x/year with handguns (daytime) and one nighttime shoot plus a familiarization with the pump shotgun and 9mm smg to one qual/year with handguns and not even replacing carry ammo for a number of years.

I can't see many departments coughing up $30K+/year to join this range.

Devens is close and South Post is underutilized. I'm shocked the super Liberal citizens of Lexington approved this expenditure. The anti-gun Harvard Professor who proposed banning assault weapons in Lexington must be livid.
Another factor is that if something goes down, they can call an officer(s) from the range to respond rapidly if they are local. Not so much if they are 20-30 miles away.

They will never admit it but piece of shit like him are just fine with the kopsch being armed. when it suits their whims.

-Mike

Funny you mention that - Town Meeting Members are receiving correspondence from their constituents outraged over the vote. Copy/pasta from one of them below. As a former Lexington Town Meeting Member I can tell you that about half of them are sheep who do whatever the committees recommend. The other half think for themselves. Some of them were persuaded by the chief's argument and some weren't. In total it passed easily.

"Dear [Town Meeting Member's Name],

My name is (name removed) and I am writing to you as a resident of Precinct 5. The precinct of Lexington you represent in the Town Meeting. I learned that you voted last night in favor of the Lexington Chief of Police’s proposal for a new firing range where Lexington cops can train in the use of assault-style weapons.
Your vote in support of providing more funding for police to practice using guns (with the intention of firing them at civilians) would be shocking no matter the context, especially considering the history of police targeting violence towards Black people, and the role police play in enforcing institutional racism.
But you didn’t only choose to vote "yes" on the proposal—you voted “yes” one week after the murder of George Floyd, and after a week of loud and peaceful protests filling the streets of more than 140 cities demanding justice. You voted “yes” on the very same day that you may have attended a vigil in Lexington in honor of the life of George Floyd. You voted “yes” to increase funding for what is, in essence, an arm of the monster of institutionalized racism I think you consider yourself an enemy of.
I think you need to do more. If you want to be anti-racist and want to do what you can to create a more just society, you need to understand your role in perpetuating the system you claim to want to change and take action to stop.
I call on you to find a way to reverse the decision you and the Town of Lexington have made. We all have power as individuals to fight for justice, and the moral obligation to use that power, but you in particular as an elected official with voting power and a larger platform, have an obligation to stand up for what is right.

Thanks,

(I withheld the name)"

He made an ass of Town Meeting Members by assuring them "Assault Rifles" would not be used at the range, only "Patrol Rifles." They were happy with this because they didn't know both are AR-15's.
They are idiots who fail to understand what a RIFLE is.

Rifle
1591376438554.png
Also a Rifle
1591376472717.png

Funny you mention that - Town Meeting Members are receiving correspondence from their constituents outraged over the vote. Copy/pasta from one of them below. As a former Lexington Town Meeting Member I can tell you that about half of them are sheep who do whatever the committees recommend. The other half think for themselves. Some of them were persuaded by the chief's argument and some weren't. In total it passed easily.

"Dear [Town Meeting Member's Name],

My name is (name removed) and I am writing to you as a resident of Precinct 5. The precinct of Lexington you represent in the Town Meeting. I learned that you voted last night in favor of the Lexington Chief of Police’s proposal for a new firing range where Lexington cops can train in the use of assault-style weapons.
Your vote in support of providing more funding for police to practice using guns (with the intention of firing them at civilians) would be shocking no matter the context, especially considering the history of police targeting violence towards Black people, and the role police play in enforcing institutional racism.
But you didn’t only choose to vote "yes" on the proposal—you voted “yes” one week after the murder of George Floyd, and after a week of loud and peaceful protests filling the streets of more than 140 cities demanding justice. You voted “yes” on the very same day that you may have attended a vigil in Lexington in honor of the life of George Floyd. You voted “yes” to increase funding for what is, in essence, an arm of the monster of institutionalized racism I think you consider yourself an enemy of.
I think you need to do more. If you want to be anti-racist and want to do what you can to create a more just society, you need to understand your role in perpetuating the system you claim to want to change and take action to stop.
I call on you to find a way to reverse the decision you and the Town of Lexington have made. We all have power as individuals to fight for justice, and the moral obligation to use that power, but you in particular as an elected official with voting power and a larger platform, have an obligation to stand up for what is right.

Thanks,

(I withheld the name)"
why withhold the name? The good, wealthy SJW's in Lexington should be voting to defund the Police Dept. and make Lexington a Police free Town.

I'd really like to know what exactly is costing $3.7 million? Are there high-tech computer controlled ranges with sensors? Does it include a $500k janitor?

No no no.... $3,700,000 TO $4,900,000..... which means it will end up costing $6,200,000.

Meanwhile the rest of our infrastructure is falling apart. Always seems to be money for more bike lanes though... I f***ing hate the government.

I can't find the puppy target meme, but will this range carry doggo targets?

k9-meme-3.jpg

Great location - stray rounds can hit residential areas, 128, Hanscom, or the bike path.

Great location - stray rounds can hit residential areas, 128, Hanscom, or the bike path.

Nah 25' berm is all you need. Plus it will "stop the noise" [laugh]

True story I had cops on private property roll up on us (hour or so AFTER shooting) and told us our 20' dirt berm in front of 110 acres of woods wasn't safe [laugh]. Best part they got stuck in the dirveway. I ain't helping you A hole.

Up until 2-3 years back, local Pd would just blast away at the gravel pit about a half mile from my house.....along with half of the rest of the town. Now it’s a housing project for $500,000+ houses.

I like how they have a Trump sticker on that safe/cabinet (2:17 mark). And holy crap that's a lot of money.
Not in mass to get a job done at a town or state level.
How much do you think the build is coasting for man hours , equipment and material
Its peanuts compared to all the other money spent on planning, testing , special consultin g
Shit you probably cant even get to ground breaking with out spending $500,000.
Not to mention a!! The back pocket filling to all the fingers who touch this.
Mean while a few guys with some bulldozers and back hoes could get it done BUT town/state does not care about saving money.

There are a lot of places that have suitable facilities, some already owned by the state or some other .gov entity. Most of the PDs are probably too flinty on a micro level. They don't want to pay people OT to go to a range further away, etc.
But LeO dont get paid to train and they have to buy all their equipment and only get 50 rounds to train with all year!
If this Lexington chief says they wont be shooting full auto hes full of shit.
MBTA/Transit was training at hanson few months back and they where doing some full auto training.

Our town decided a few years ago that we needed a new $5m library (seriously, when was the last time anyone went to a library?) They released the plans for a 5800 square foot building (we have 1500 residents). My contractor friends all said they could and would build it for about half a million.

Back
Top Bottom