Lever Gun

BONZCNC

NES Member
I'm interested in buying my first lever action, new or used. I was looking at a PUMA, but I don't know anything about them. I would like to find something chambered in .357/.38. Any input would be helpful.

Bonz.....

I have a Winchester '94 in .357 that is very nice, and pretty accurate. They made a lot of them, so you should be able to find one , if you're patient.
The Marlin 1894 is another one that enjoys a good reputation. They are all over the place so you should only have to stand in one place for a while and someone will probably walk by with one. Marlins are still walnut and steel, and American made. If I didn't already have the Winchester, I'd be looking for a Marlin for sure, and I just might anyhow.
I know that Marlin has offered some of their lever guns in stainless recently. I'm not sure if the .357 was one of them but it would be worth a look.

I try never to be a gun snob

Puma is a good value.

If you're looking for something a little higher end, you might consider Marlin.
Collectors in Stoneham has a Cowboy 20" in .357 for about $650. They say it is unfired.

I just traded my Marlin Cowboy in .45 Colt to Stateline in Mason NH. I think they put a $450 pricetag on it.

They are fun!

I'm going to be listing a Puma in .38/.357 soon in the classifieds.

It's a decent rifle with good accuracy - just don't try to fire .38 wadcutters out of it. I hardly ever use it (it was an impulse buy).

Lever Gun Choices

Hi,
I own a Rossi/Puma in 45 Colt which I enjoy shooting. Quite accurate and very reliable. I consider this rifle like a tool. However, if you compare this rifle to a Uberti copy of the Winchester 1873 ("the gun that won the west"-probably not true) you can see and feel a remarkable difference in eye appeal and pride of ownership. Both work fine but the '73 in my opinion offers a lot more. Kind of like a stock Harley and a high end boutique builder.
I can show you my rifles if you are interested.
Stogie

I have a Marlin 1894C in .357. I like using .357 in it, I was annoyed when I tried .38, the point of impact was quite different, and they tended to jam.

I also disliked the factory sights so I got one of these
http://skinnersights.com/

Back
Top Bottom