• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Leupold Mark AR MOD-1 1.25-4 illuminated reticle any experience???

Looking for a high quility, low cost scope for a 3 gun setup and this seems to to price wise what I was thinking. Anyone have experience with these specifically?

drb

Both Burris and Nikon have a new "AR" line of scopes specific to the platform, both 5.56 and .308. Pricing is very reasonable, IMO.

Haven't actually tried on myself, but I am leaning towards one of these for my upcoming AR10 build.

I have the Leupold Mark AR MOD-1 1.25-4x, but without the FireDot in the middle, in the factory mount. Does that count?

I have it on my 3-gun rifle, and it is the shit. Light, crystal clear glass, uncluttered, easy-to-use reticle. Generous eye relief. I had it at the Shoothouse Shootout last weekend at ACADEMI (NEE Blackwater), and it was banging the gong out to 285 yards with boring consistency. Significantly lighter than the Burris MTAC, which was my second choice.

I had to leave my rifle in VA (because my return got rerouted through a NYC airport), but when I get it back, you're more than welcome to put hands on it.

Looking for a high quility, low cost scope for a 3 gun setup and this seems to to price wise what I was thinking. Anyone have experience with these specifically?

drb

How serious do you want to get into 3 gun? Leupold scopes have narrower fields so view than other brands. A 1-4x is far more common than what you looked at. The Burris MTAC is a popular scope in 3 gun, Vortex has several.
High quality and low cost are terms that don't really go together, especially with optics.

Primary Arms website if you haven't checked it out yet.

Ironically, NutnFancy put out a video recently about AR scopes, solid recommendations actually too...

Beware of "illuminated reticles". Some only work in low light conditions and disappear in daylight, leaving you with a black dot.

Can you shoot a 1.25 with both eyes open? I went true 1x4 It was not cheap but will last me a lifetime. A Buddy bought a Burris and I go cross-eyed looking through it with both eyes open on 1.25 High quality usually = High dollars.

How serious do you want to get into 3 gun? Leupold scopes have narrower fields so view than other brands. A 1-4x is far more common than what you looked at. The Burris MTAC is a popular scope in 3 gun, Vortex has several.
High quality and low cost are terms that don't really go together, especially with optics.

Yes, high quality low cost is a completely wrong statement for optics... I should have said but under $500 value. How serious? Not serious at all. I wouldn't say I'm "serious" with uspsa pistol shooting either, but I do plan on attending the monthly HSC matches and having a good time. I will never be "good" at either

Can you shoot a 1.25 with both eyes open? I went true 1x4 It was not cheap but will last me a lifetime. A Buddy bought a Burris and I go cross-eyed looking through it with both eyes open on 1.25 High quality usually = High dollars.

Never thought of the 1.25x issues, I will check it out. I will look into the Burris and vortex mentioned as well

Thank you all for the great feedback!

Are you dead set on a 1-4?
If you have not spent any time behind a rifle in an action shooting match, I would suggest a 1x optic (aimpoint or eotech)

Simple is better in my mind. With a 1x you won't need to think about when to use 4x vs 1x.

Action matches in MA (Harvard, New Bedford) will have 80% of shots at less than 30 yards. I think the longest I personally have seen was 65 yards (somebody correct me If I am wrong, but the far pit at Harvard is 65-70 yards?) Also, standing unsupported, a 4x magnification gets very bouncy while trying to hold on target, and can actually be slower than a 1x at these distances.

I'm sure at other clubs in action rifle or 3-gun matches a 1-4x can be an advantage, and you could always go that route later. If you want to put a rifle together quick and dirty, get an aimpoint pro for short money. Zero at 50 yards, and know where it hits at closer distances.

Are you dead set on a 1-4?
If you have not spent any time behind a rifle in an action shooting match, I would suggest a 1x optic (aimpoint or eotech)

Simple is better in my mind. With a 1x you won't need to think about when to use 4x vs 1x.

Action matches in MA (Harvard, New Bedford) will have 80% of shots at less than 30 yards. I think the longest I personally have seen was 65 yards (somebody correct me If I am wrong, but the far pit at Harvard is 65-70 yards?) Also, standing unsupported, a 4x magnification gets very bouncy while trying to hold on target, and can actually be slower than a 1x at these distances.

I'm sure at other clubs in action rifle or 3-gun matches a 1-4x can be an advantage, and you could always go that route later. If you want to put a rifle together quick and dirty, get an aimpoint pro for short money. Zero at 50 yards, and know where it hits at closer distances.

Ok, what would be the difference between buying a red dot and simply leaving a magnified optic set on x1 for matches that are all short distance ( serious question, I'm dumb!)

Ok, what would be the difference between buying a red dot and simply leaving a magnified optic set on x1 for matches that are all short distance ( serious question, I'm dumb!)

Virtually nothing. The 1-4x gives you more magnification when you need it. I've not used an Eotech, but, an Aimpoint or similar optic darkens the field of view to a degree, which can be detrimental in some cases.
My primary scope is a 1-6X, with 1-4X on the spare and practice rifles.

great question... field of view
Any aimpoint or eotech, will have a far greater field of view than most 1-4 scopes. That will help with faster transitions on the short distance targets.
Lower end 1-4x scopes may not actually be 1x magnification at lowest setting, meaning both eye open shooting may be difficult or dizzying. The top of the line true 1x-4x scopes do have great field of view, but they will cost 1k+ Lower end scopes will also be sensitive to eye relief, meaning if you don't have the same cheek weld, and eye position for every shot, you will miss your target. Weak-side / weak-hand awkward shooting positions are often forced at these matches.

Unless I know 50% of shots or more are at well over 100 yards, I can not think of any reason TO get a 1-4. Even then, I would insist on an all out top of the line bad ass scope.

- - - Updated - - -

Virtually nothing. The 1-4x gives you more magnification when you need it. I've not used an Eotech, but, an Aimpoint or similar optic darkens the field of view to a degree, which can be detrimental in some cases.
My primary scope is a 1-6X, with 1-4X on the spare and practice rifles.

what do you mean by darkens the FOV ?

what do you mean by darkens the FOV ?

The coatings in the optic simply are not completely clear. The view through the tube is darker than ambient light.
Target size will influence the decision on magnification too. Not only distance.

Get a C-more with a 8 moa dot and sight in at 8 yards [wink]

I personally find a aimpoint micro to be faster than a 1-6x on close up stuff, I think it is the more forgiving eye box. For people that practice, they are the same speed to shoot.
there is no down size other than weight to a 1-4/6x. I like the vortex 1-6...kinda pricey, but worth it especially if you have an astigmatism

Last edited:
The leupold it is... Just came from the shop where my dpms 3g1 rifle was on order from and they had the leupold in stock along with the leupold mount... They also had a Burris xtr and a few other leupold a I was looking at, but I like the reticle and turrets on the leupold the best. Was offered a good deal on the package so I went for it. I'm going to suck either way, I'm pretty sure I could have just purchased a Bushnell from Walmart! If some where down the line I get more serious (ie don't suck ) there will be an upgrade in optic any way

Thanks for all the advice, the vortex razor 2 is in my future some year!

Also look into a fixed power scope. A great deal of 50BMG and other long distance marksman are going with fixed power scopes. I recently read an article by a well known long range marksman who suggests a 10 power fixed. He also recommended the SWAFA brand scopes.

They were featured in a Shooting Times article as being a great buy ( fixed power) .

Since your looking for a three rifle set up I suggest you give them a look. Heck it can't hurt.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-6x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P47326.aspx

Last edited:
Also look into a fixed power scope. A great deal of 50BMG and other long distance marksman are going with fixed power scopes. I recently read an article by a well known long range marksman who suggests a 10 power fixed. He also recommended the SWAFA brand scopes.

They were featured in a Shooting Times article as being a great buy ( fixed power) .

Since your looking for a three rifle set up I suggest you give them a look. Heck it can't hurt.

3 gun, not 3 rifles. Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun.

Fred, I actually have a SWFA fixed power scope on one of my rifles and it is a hell of a deal for the price!

For this I will need something suited for faster shooting and closer ranges so I'm headed in the direction of a low magnification scope. Thanks for the advice on the SWFA, I think they are great scopes!

Please do not laugh to hard at me and my new rifle/scope. I will shoot safe, but it will not be pretty!

2 mags ok per stage? How many rounds a match?
2 should be good, 3 will be safe. 200 should be more than enough, unless other information gets out.

So just an update for anyone interested.

I purchased a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1.5-4x scope and Leupold mount for my DPMS 3g1 and shot my 1st USPSA rifle match on Sunday. Here my initial thoughts.

Illumination. The little green dot IMHO is just the right size and color for putting reasonably accurate shots on target and fast sighting. I like it. BUT, from the factory the firedog would flicker and bounce between settings. I applied tape to the backside of the battery to increase the pressure the cap was putting on the battery and that seemed to fix it. The scope will be going back to Leupold after the end of the USPSA season.

Magnification. I would have no problem being accurate with the 4x magnification out to 250-300 yards. The 1.5x ( lowest setting ) is great for the targets at 25-65 yards and I have no problem shooting both eyes open. BUT, I could not move and shoot while looking through the scope with the magnification. The combination of the small diameter scope, small field of view and magnification made point blank target very frustrating. This could be my lack of experience, but I counted 5 separate times on Sunday where I had to completely stop to take a follow up shot to insure I had at least 1 "A" on the target.

As I've stated, this was my 1st experience with USPSA rifle and really my 1st experience with any type of moving while shooting rifle action. I also had the rifle and scope for less than 2 weeks before attending this event so I had little practice time.

Overall it's seems like a solid scope, especially for the money. It really worked well on a simple stage like Stage 5 ( from the match at HSC ) Had I planned better and had a little more time to save up I would have purchase a nicer cope. For next year I may just look at adding a second set of iron sights for point blank shots

Have you considered the Millett DSM 1x4x Red Dot here?

prod_second_dms_front.jpg

When the battery is off, the reticle is black - same shape and same size - and clearly visible during the day. I run it on the AR with the battery off during the day and use the battery in low-light conditions.

I take it hunting, too. Works great afield.

I personally find a aimpoint micro to be faster than a 1-6x on close up stuff, I think it is the more forgiving eye box.

I am completely satisfied with my micro.

Less aiming, more hosing.[wink]

hosing works great, as long as at least a few targets get in the way of your spray

Last edited:
went to cabelas the other day and looked at some 30mm scopes

couple of things the reticle on the mtac....sucks and is huge for what it is and it weighs a ton

the vortex really surprised me reticle was nice and the glass was very clear, much clearly than the mtac. Granted it was a little bit more money definitely worth it.

I was hoping to look at the mtac, vortex and the leupold patrol/Mark AR, they didnt have any of the leupolds so i cant say my thoughts on those.

Back
Top Bottom