Letters of reference

Legally, nothing. Chiefs are not required to collect letters of reference from applicants for firearms licenses. Many chiefs choose to request them in an attempt to make the licensing procedure more complicated than it already is. Since it is departmental policy rather than state law that requires them, only your department can tell you exactly what you should include in them. Generally, you'd want it to look something like this:

To Whom It May Concern:

XXXXXX has asked me to provide a recommendation for his application for a Massachusetts license to carry firearms. I am not related to XXXXXX. We first met in 19XX in (wherever you met). We have remained friends during the following years and see each other regularly, often multiple times a month.

I believe XXXXX to be of good character and that he will accept the responsibilities involved seriously, and know of no reason why he should not be granted a license to carry. I recommend that you approve his application.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXX

Letters of reference are not required by law for an LTC but some departments make you jump thru hoops for whatever reason...I had to come up with 3 of them. I had the person write that they saw no reason why I should not have and LTC and that I was responsible. Also had them provide a contact number in case the PD wanted to chat. If your town is red then you may want to spend more time getting the letters just right if you think it would assist in getting an unrestricted A. Friends of mine have used letters from LEO's and from their firearms instructior with good results.

Not a single one of my references was ever contacted YMMV. This is a total BS requirement, but you have to play the game....

My specific language was:

"I have known XX since <date>".

blah blah blah

"I believe they are a suitable person to legally carry a firearm in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts."

I have a semi-related question:
Here in Gardner, the line asking for references does not include "(NOT REQUIRED IF APPLYING FOR A FIREARMS IDENTIFICATION
CARD)". It simply reads "List the Name and Addresses of Two References". Would it be reasonable to assume that references are required for both FID and LTC applications?
(I know references are not required by the state. My question is whether the wording implies that references are required by the local PD for all applications)

The application for LTC and FID asks for 2 references and thats it. The requirement for letters is something that is added by the department. If memory serves...

The application for LTC and FID asks for 2 references and thats it. The requirement for letters is something that is added by the department. If memory serves...

Close, but no cigar.

NO references are required for an FID Card; only 2 references for an LTC.

There is NO statutory basis for "Letters of Reference/Recommendation."

One of the more idiotic requirements for obtaining an LTC... as if anyone is going use someone that would give them a bad reference (not that it's unheard of. I seem to recall a post here from not long ago where the referral
did inform the CLEO that the applicant was not suitable).

That brings up a question I have... has anyone here ever had their referrals contacted by the police?

Close, but no cigar.

The FA25/26 form that Gardner PD gave me did not specify that no references were required for an FID application. Which leads me to believe that they require references for both FID and LTC applications.

The FA25/26 form that Gardner PD gave me did not specify that no references were required for an FID application. Which leads me to believe that they require references for both FID and LTC applications.

IF that is the case, Gardner altered the form, just as at least one PD (Taunton) alters it to make it appear that providing your SSN is required.

THIS is the only authorized application form:

http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/frb_fid_lic_app.pdf

Note the express disclaimer about references being required for a mere FID Card. If your PD gives you anything else, it is violation of the statute specifying the authorized application form.

If it claims it has "broad discretion and wide latitude" to impose non-statutory "requirements," it is ignorant of what "shall issue" means. And that is a chartitable assessment.

Ask the Gloucester PD how far it got with that charade...............

This is the state form:

If you look at the section for references it specifically says "Not required for FID" in the not so fine print. Local PD's will make up requirements as has been stated here many times. When I went for mine I played dumb and just brought 2 references with letters and they told me to go get another letter someplace. They never called any of the 3 references I supplied to them. Hoops WooHoo.

EDIT:What he said ^^^^^

Last edited:
IF that is the case, Gardner altered the form, just as at least one PD (Taunton) alters it to make it appear that providing your SSN is required.

THIS is the only authorized application form:

Note the express disclaimer about references being required for a mere FID Card. If your PD gives you anything else, it is violation of the statute specifying the authorized application form.

If it claims it has "broad discretion and wide latitude" to impose non-statutory "requirements," it is ignorant of what "shall issue" means. And that is a chartitable assessment.

Ask the Gloucester PD how far it got with that charade...............

Yup, Gardner DEFINITELY modified the form. Most of the questions are the same (though the layout is quite different), but there is no statement that SSN is optional, nor a statement that references are not required when applying for an FID.

Last edited:
Close, but no cigar.

Well, most of us here know this, but some towns still ask for it. Any suggestions on how to get around it?

Back
Top Bottom