Letter to church re: anti-gun tree ornaments

Some of you may not get it, but most of us don't join a particular church because we like the political views of the members. Admittedly, the members of a particular congregation might induce one to drive a few extra miles to find a different local church of the same denomination.

Ken

Guys... religion is a personal choice. This is my church, and for now I choose to be a member there.

While I choose a different church, I admire your willingness to stand up and make your voice heard on this issue. We tend to get all genteel when it comes to church ("oh no, we can't contradict or offend anyone"). IMO that's one way churches go off base... You are working from within to motivate positive change. Good for you!

For the rest of us: if our response to opposition is always to go some where else and find more agreeable company, we'll become more and more isolated and loose our ability to affect the world around us...

While you are at it, why not suggest a picture of a cigarette with a red line through it? 440,000 people a year die of smoking related illness. Why pick on firearms?

Speaking specifically for my view....

My church family is "family". I may have a disagreeable brother or argumentative sister who is there. We may disagree on many points of life and even on some points of doctrine. However, changing churches is the last resort. Especially if you are trying to teach your kids about existing with others of different belief systems (and political views) then showing them that people can disagree and even debate without being sent or chased away is healthy for them. Most church environments are better for them to learn those lessons in. I prefer for them to learn to disagree and search for their own stand with Brother File and Sister Sandpaper than with folks they deal with in the rest of the world.

Just my .02

-Rick

Update: anti-gun tree ornaments

This is an update to a thread I posted about anti-gun ornaments on my church's Christmas tree: http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49094

I got a call from one of the Deacons, an attorney named Doug who's very liberal but is a nice guy who means well. He said the ornaments were done years ago by a former minister and were meant to be an anti-war thing. He said when he first saw them he thought they might be misinterpreted but didn't think about it again until my letter. Also, he said the minister had taken them down and there was no need for "guns in life raft" ornaments. [wink]

Well done! A sincere and honest letter was the exact correct thing to do in this case.

+1 to you for handling this in an excellent manner.

-Rick

Back
Top Bottom