Letter to chief?

I spoke with the detective in charge of firearms licensing interviews. He informed me that once I have 2 letters of recommendation and my letter to the chief that I can call and make an appointment. I been at a loss as to what to write to the chief so today I decided I'll just write something.

-------------------------------

To Chief Steven Mazzie,
I'm applying for a LTC-A for personal protection and all other lawful purposes. I work in Hyde Park and other parts of Boston on a regular basis in projects. One of the properties we maintain has had 2 murders within a year. My boss and I decided it was time to be able to protect ourselves if the need ever arises. I have two children that I would like to make it home to every night.

I plan to further my training in firearms and have already attended other optional live firing classes at Boston Firearms in Everett. I also joined the NRA and have taken a hunter education course and am now licensed to hunt.

Thank you for taking your time to read this and considering me for a LTC-A.

---------------------------------

Will this be acceptable? Everett is a green city with 118 unrestricted ltc-a given out in 2014 according to comm2a.

I'm going to ask my boss to write up a letter of recommendation. Then I just need to find one other non-family member.

Thanks for any advice.

Now what makes you think you should have a right to carry a gun into Hyde Park, and other parts of Boston just to work thier.When people that live thier ,are not given that right.

I know it's harder to get a license in Boston cause you have to take the actual shooting test and stuff. Are you not allowed to even carry in Boston at all? Even if you have a LTC-A out of another city?

If you have a MA LTC unrestricted you can carry anywhere in MA that is allowed by Law, and yes even Boston. I am just commenting on how stupid the system is.

I provided a brief biography of myself, family and my job and simply stated that I sometimes have concerns for my safety and would appreciate the opportunity to defend myself and my family should the need arise. It's unfortunate that this even has to be done but it's part of playing the game in this state. Don't write a novel - keep it short and to the point.

Don't expect any MA chief to be impressed by your joining NRA, GOAL or being a contributor to Comm2A (who may well sue their ass). Those are all good but not something I would ever put in any letter to a chief asking for anything.

-------------------------------

To Chief Steven Mazzie,
I'm applying for a LTC-A for personal protection and all other lawful purposes. I work in Hyde Park and other parts of Boston on a regular basis in projects. One of the properties we maintain has had 2 murders within a year. My boss and I decided it was time to be able to protect ourselves if the need ever arises. I have two children that I would like to make it home to every night.

I plan to further my training in firearms and have already attended other optional live firing classes at Boston Firearms in Everett. I also joined the NRA and have taken a hunter education course and am now licensed to hunt.

Thank you for taking your time to read this and considering me for a LTC-A.

Just a few suggestions, rather than critiquing the above...just trying to flesh it out a little bit

Chief Steven Mazzie
XXX Police Department
XXX Town, Etc,

Dear Chief Mazzie
I am respectfully submitting my application for a Massachusetts Licence To Carry Firearms, Class A unrestricted. I understand that owning a firearm is a serious responsibility, I have taken many steps to demonstrate my appreciation for that responsibility. I am a member of the National Rife Association, and have attended firearms safety training, including live fire training, at Boston Firearms in Everett.
My employment requires travel to various neighborhoods in the City of Boston, including Public Housing Projects. Many of these projects are in neighborhoods that have had increasing episodes of criminal violence, including assaults and homicides. Work requires me to be in these neighborhoods during the day as well as nighttime hours.
I am also a father to two young children, and have a vested interest in being able to protect my family at home. My wife and I have discussed this application, and she supports me in this process. The idea of feeling safe in our home is of great importance to her as well.

Thank you for taking your time to read this and considering my application for a License to Carry Firearms. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions, and I look forward to my interview with your Licensing Officer.

Sincerely,

Loyal Subject of the Peoples Republik of Taxachusetts.

Just a few suggestions, rather than critiquing the above...just trying to flesh it out a little bit

Chief Steven Mazzie
XXX Police Department
XXX Town, Etc,

Dear Chief Mazzie
I am respectfully submitting my application for a Massachusetts Licence To Carry Firearms, Class A unrestricted. I understand that owning a firearm is a serious responsibility, I have taken many steps to demonstrate my appreciation for that responsibility. I am a member of the National Rife Association, and have attended firearms safety training, including live fire training, at Boston Firearms in Everett.
My employment requires travel to various neighborhoods in the City of Boston, including Public Housing Projects. Many of these projects are in neighborhoods that have had increasing episodes of criminal violence, including assaults and homicides. Work requires me to be in these neighborhoods during the day as well as nighttime hours.
I am also a father to two young children, and have a vested interest in being able to protect my family at home. My wife and I have discussed this application, and she supports me in this process. The idea of feeling safe in our home is of great importance to her as well.

Thank you for taking your time to read this and considering my application for a License to Carry Firearms. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions, and I look forward to my interview with your Licensing Officer.

Sincerely,

The only thing I'd leave out, as Len suggested, is the NRA stuff. I don't think it does anything to bolster your case, by YMMV.

I'd suggest adding a bit about YOU and why YOU are a responsible member of society would would take the responsibility of carrying seriously (Demonstrate that you're not just some jamoke who's going to wave your piece around at the slightest provocation).

I did it as follows:

"I am a lifelong resident of Massachusetts and have lived in Framingham since September of 2012 when my fiance purchased a home on XXX where we plan to raise our family. I work in the financial district for a non-profit organization - YYYY. YYYY was established to support efforts to improve the skills of the Commonwealth’s workers. My role at this agency is that of a Program Manager. My chief responsibilities include the management of a rapidly growing portfolio of workforce training contracts with a current budget of close to $3.5 million.

I have been a responsible firearm owner since receiving my license in October, 2013. I have taken several courses to enhance my skills in both safe firearm handling and the realities and practicalities of carrying a firearm. These courses, all taken at the Massachusetts Firearms School in Holliston, were taught by Officer Robert McQuarrie of the Franklin Police Department and an instructor with the Massachusetts Police Training Committee. I have appended certificates of completion to this letter."

Good luck!

The EPD has no business demanding that you produce a letter to the chief and two letters of reference. And you're foolish for doing so.

But if you really want to go along with him I'll write you a letter even though I don't know you. You won't like the letter. The chief won't like the letter, but I dare him to deny you a license on the basis of a letter I write.

As long as you're not a prohibited person, the chief can ONLY deny you if he provides a written denial stating that you're an unsuitable person because of either:
(i) reliable and credible information that the applicant or licensee has exhibited or engaged in behavior that suggests that, if issued a license, the applicant or licensee may create a risk to public safety; or
(ii) existing factors that suggest that, if issued a license, the applicant or licensee may create a risk to public safety. Upon denial of an application or renewal of a license based on a determination of unsuitability, the licensing authority shall notify the applicant in writing setting forth the specific reasons for the determination in accordance with paragraph (e).

Failure to suck up to his requirements does not constitute either of the above conditions.

The EPD has no business demanding that you produce a letter to the chief and two letters of reference. And you're foolish for doing so.

But if you really want to go along with him I'll write you a letter even though I don't know you. You won't like the letter. The chief won't like the letter, but I dare him to deny you a license on the basis of a letter I write.

As long as you're not a prohibited person, the chief can ONLY deny you if he provides a written denial stating that you're an unsuitable person because of either:

Failure to suck up to his requirements does not constitute either of the above conditions.

I would love to see this letter. A letter from a firearms-minded lawyer to one of these chiefs would be amazing.

Chief Steven Mazzie
XXX Police Department
XXX Town, Etc,

Dear Chief Mazzie

Sincerely,

I really like that version better. Almost feel like I could use that exact one.

I had spoke with someone else and they recommended something like this:

I'm applying for a LTC-A for all lawful purposes. To buy, sell ,use ,carry, transfer, own, and collect all pistols, rifles, and shotguns for use in hunting, sporting, competition, target shooting, collecting, and personal protection while at and away from home.

I plan to further my training in firearms and have already attended other optional live firing classes at Boston Firearms in Everett. I also have taken a hunter education course and am now licensed to hunt.
I can be reached at the following phone numbers(xxx) xxx-xxxx, etc. if you have any further questions.

Not sure if to go with the less info type or provide more info. It really is dumb to even have to do this. You should be either eligible to carry or not.

Its a bullshit requirement, but its an opportunity to flesh yourself out a little bit and be seen as a person rather than "applicant". Let them know you are trained in safe and responsible gun handling, not a psycho, and have a family and ties to the community. I don't agree with the requirement to submit a letter, but until things are fixed in this state....might as well enter something positive into your file in the event of an appeal. If denied, your ENTIRE application will be submitted into evidence by the PD. They want 2 letters? Give them 10. Thankfully since the law was changed, you shouldn't have to worry about an appeal. Good luck!

Here's my sample reference letter:

Dear Chief without-a-clue,

I’m writing at the request of John Q. Public who is currently applying for a Massachusetts LTC through your department. Although you have no statutory or other authority to demand such a reference, I’m happy to oblige on Mr. Public’s behalf.

I spoke with Mr. Public on January 5, 2015 and he assures me that he’s completed the state mandated Basic Firearm Safety course, that he’s not a prohibited person as defined by MGL Ch 140 sec 131, and that he is a suitable person to be issued a license as defined by the statute as he has not exhibited or engaged in behavior that suggests that he would create a risk to public safety and that there are no existing factors that suggested that he’d create a risk to public safety if licensed. Of course, given your access to III, BOP and other databases you’re in a much better position to make these judgments than am I.

Please feel free to contact me at any time should you have any questions or concerns.

Last edited:
So, for applying in towns which ask for references and a letter to the Chief, I assume it's best to play along vs. refuse to comply?

My wife is applying for her LTC. Her reasons are to learn gun safety and to protect herself from getting jammed up someday due to MY hobby. I assume those aren't good reasons to put on her letter to the Chief though.

Ethan

So, for applying in towns which ask for references and a letter to the Chief, I assume it's best to play along vs. refuse to comply?

My wife is applying for her LTC. Her reasons are to learn gun safety and to protect herself from getting jammed up someday due to MY hobby. I assume those aren't good reasons to put on her letter to the Chief though.

Ethan
That's pretty much it. Play along or refuse. If your wife refused to comply and was denied, or if the PD refused to process her application, she'd be in a VERY good position to starting putting an end to this practice. Have her hit us up if she's game.

There's only one reason that PDs still have the requirements: people continue to comply with them.

BTW, those are all good reasons. No PD is going to deny her based upon that 'need' to have a license.

I always like adding the line... "Issuance of this this license is necessary for my personal safety and security." Let him stick that in his filing cabinet and deny you. Then you get your ass shot off someday and Comm2A or GOAL puts a copy of your letter in the Sunday Globe.

Although Arlington didn't ask for a letter, my wife's primary motivation for getting a LTC was that she has always had access to the safe where the loaded, holstered firearms are kept. She is a decent shot and keeps her proficiency up by shooting a couple of steel matches every year with her G34.

When we were domiciled in CT, she never wanted or needed a pistol permit because no license is required for possession or access.

Post Sandy Hook many CT PDs started asking for reference letters and even asking to come to the applicant's house for an interview. My advice has always been to ignore the town supplied supplemental forms that ask for such garbage and simply complete the DPS-799 as required by statute and mail it to the station.

I haven't had anyone have any trouble yet. In one case the Waterford, CT PD called and asked again for the interview. The applicant refused, telling him that it was not required by statute. The license was issued in the normal amount of time.

The PDs in CT know that the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners will order the permit issued as long as the person is not a prohibited person. So they play ball.

In MA, this new law requiring written justification for a refusal is a great tool that hopefully can be used to force the PDs to simply follow the law.

Don

Last edited:
When I got my last renewal in a new town the licensing officer said to just write a quick little blurb to the chief as to why you want the licence. Then he said something like 'leave all the political 2A BS out. He said I get it and I'm with you but the chief doesn't go for that." So I wrote something to do with the shooting sports and teaching my children and the licensing guy looked at it and said ok. That will work...

LTC A no restrictions.

Even though I did it I agree we shouldn't have to jump through the hoops. But I think they can jam you up if you get confrontational. They can cause you all sorts of delays and possibly dollars to fight them. They fight with tax money. We fight with our own bank accounts. Mine will run dry much faster than theirs and in essence I am funding both. Mine in full and theirs in part.

So I wrote a simple two short paragraph letter. Doubt the chief even saw it. But I didn't come off like a jerk and they didn't treat me like one. Does it excuse them from asking or me from complying? No. But in the end I got the much coveted Massachusetts unrestricted LTC A.

And if I am a conformist because of that, I believe I am a much bigger conformist because I actually stooped to the level of applying for and paying for a license to exercise a constitutional right. (FYI - I am against licensing for firearms)

So the letter was a no brainer for me since it was a little late to get all high and mighty over the license.

They didn't ask me for any reference letters though. Just two name of people for a reference and to date they haven't been contacted. But I have had to give the two names for as long as I can remember.

Last edited:
Interesting thing about references in regards to Lowell. In Lowell, the LO fills out the application on a computer during the interview. I believe they will not accept an application that the applicant printed out and filled in by hand. At no time during that process does the LO even ask for the names or contact information of any references.

Interesting thing about references in regards to Lowell. In Lowell, the LO fills out the application on a computer during the interview. I believe they will not accept an application that the applicant printed out and filled in by hand. At no time during that process does the LO even ask for the names or contact information of any references.

When I went to the station to get the application they gave me a per application. I made sure that all the info. they asked for in that application I had with me when I went to apply. I can't remember if they keyed the references into the computer or not. He probably did not. I did however have the info available had they asked for it. But it was a while ago so not sure if he used it or not. More than likely he didn't.

The sad fact is that in MA you either "play ball" or you forfeit your right (??) to possess firearms.

So effectively all of us have compromised our principles. If we didn't, this would be a board about people with high principles who wish they owned firearms.

The sad fact is that in MA you either "play ball" or you forfeit your right (??) to possess firearms.

So effectively all of us have compromised our principles. If we didn't, this would be a board about people with high principles who wish they owned firearms.

Exactly.

Although Arlington didn't ask for a letter, my wife's primary motivation for getting a LTC was that she has always had access to the safe where the loaded, holstered firearms are kept. She is a decent shot and keeps her proficiency up by shooting a couple of steel matches every year with her G34.

When we were domiciled in CT, she never wanted or needed a pistol permit because no license is required for possession or access.

Post Sandy Hook many CT PDs started asking for reference letters and even asking to come to the applicant's house for an interview. My advice has always been to ignore the town supplied supplemental forms that ask for such garbage and simply complete the DPS-799 as required by statute and mail it to the station.

I haven't had anyone have any trouble yet. In one case the Waterford, CT PD called and asked again for the interview. The applicant refused, telling him that it was not required by statute. The license was issued in the normal amount of time.

The PDs in CT know that the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners will order the permit issued as long as the person is not a prohibited person. So they play ball.

In MA, this new law requiring written justification for a refusal is a great tool that hopefully can be used to force the PDs to simply follow the law.

Don
It's not the written justification, it's that the justification has to be based upon a specific risk to public safety. That's the win here. But, it really isn't making a difference in terms of non-statutory application requirements.

It does NOT force PDs to follow the law for one simple reason: Everyone, (not most people, everyone) makes a deliberate decision to suck it up and do whatever the PD wants them to do in order to get a license. For five years I've been trying to find someone (just one person) willing to refuse to provide a reference letter or some other non-statutory requirement knowing that they will be be denied a license and have to go to court. It just won't happen. People will not go to court unless they have no other alternative - even if someone else is paying the bill.

When I went to the station to get the application they gave me a per application. I made sure that all the info. they asked for in that application I had with me when I went to apply. I can't remember if they keyed the references into the computer or not. He probably did not. I did however have the info available had they asked for it. But it was a while ago so not sure if he used it or not. More than likely he didn't.
People need to be very careful about the 'verbal' application. We know of someone who was actually charge with perjury based upon what the licensing officer entered into MIRCS.

If the PD won't accept your paper application, you need to read off your completed application and save a copy. When they give you a copy to sign, you need to review every answer and keep a copy of exactly what you signed.

It's not the written justification, it's that the justification has to be based upon a specific risk to public safety. That's the win here. But, it really isn't making a difference in terms of non-statutory application requirements.

It does NOT force PDs to follow the law for one simple reason: Everyone, (not most people, everyone) makes a deliberate decision to suck it up and do whatever the PD wants them to do in order to get a license. For five years I've been trying to find someone (just one person) willing to refuse to provide a reference letter or some other non-statutory requirement knowing that they will be be denied a license and have to go to court. It just won't happen. People will not go to court unless they have no other alternative - even if someone else is paying the bill.

People need to be very careful about the 'verbal' application. We know of someone who was actually charge with perjury based upon what the licensing officer entered into MIRCS.

If the PD won't accept your paper application, you need to read off your completed application and save a copy. When they give you a copy to sign, you need to review every answer and keep a copy of exactly what you signed.

Although I'd love to see all the BS fall for once and for all, it is hard to blame someone for not going forward in court. That process would likely take 2-4 years and there is an even chance that the judge will rule for the PD.

As for the application, I ALWAYS submit paper and review the computer print-out against it prior to signing, plus get a copy of the computer print-out. I recommend the same to my students and everyone here when that discussion comes up. Ignore the PD that says no need to write anything down or give us anything, we'll do it all on the computer! RIGHT!!

Knuckle,

I didn't know you were looking for someone to make a case out of. We all need to keep our eyes and ears open for this.

In CT we've had people push the envelope, but what happens is that once something is scheduled to go to trial (after the person has been waiting for years) the PD relents and issues the pistol permit. That way they don't end up making case law. But the applicant is still dragged through the coals.

There was a case a couple of years ago with a Vet in New London who refused to submit extra legal items. He was denied. He requested and got a hearing with the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners (BFPE) who ordered New London to issue the permit.

New London refused. Well actually, the officer they sent agreed to issue the permit. Then the chief refused.

So the BFPE ordered them to issue it again.

The problem is that if the issuing authority (IA)really wants to dig in their heels, they can delay things. The law says the BFPE must be obeyed. But it does not provide a way to go around an obstinate IA. The law also does not provide for any civil or criminal penalties against an IA who refuses to issue a permit after being ordered to do so by the BFPE.

I can't remember if the BFPE or the applicant was gearing up to bring this to CT Superior court but once it became clear that this was going to be the path, the IA issued the pistol permit. This is a rarity in CT. (typically after the BFPE issues an order to issue a license the IA issues it) But it does occasionally happen. In this case the applicant waited well over a year and never got the chance to make any case law.

Don

Knuckle,

I didn't know you were looking for someone to make a case out of. We all need to keep our eyes and ears open for this.

In CT we've had people push the envelope, but what happens is that once something is scheduled to go to trial (after the person has been waiting for years) the PD relents and issues the pistol permit. That way they don't end up making case law. But the applicant is still dragged through the coals.

There was a case a couple of years ago with a Vet in New London who refused to submit extra legal items. He was denied. He requested and got a hearing with the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners (BFPE) who ordered New London to issue the permit.

New London refused. Well actually, the officer they sent agreed to issue the permit. Then the chief refused.

So the BFPE ordered them to issue it again.

The problem is that if the issuing authority (IA)really wants to dig in their heels, they can delay things. The law says the BFPE must be obeyed. But it does not provide a way to go around an obstinate IA. The law also does not provide for any civil or criminal penalties against an IA who refuses to issue a permit after being ordered to do so by the BFPE.

I can't remember if the BFPE or the applicant was gearing up to bring this to CT Superior court but once it became clear that this was going to be the path, the IA issued the pistol permit. This is a rarity in CT. (typically after the BFPE issues an order to issue a license the IA issues it) But it does occasionally happen. In this case the applicant waited well over a year and never got the chance to make any case law.

Don

Don,

Thoughtful comments. I think the Massachusetts situation and our strategy is different from Connecticut (and most other anti-2A states) in two respects.

First, you're sort of comparing apples to oranges. In Connecticut the deals with denials of a license to carry a concealed firearm (at least that's how I understand it). CT residents don't need this license in order to buy or possess a handgun do they? That sets up a very different situation for someone who wants to challenge a law, custom or practice. The potential plaintiff is giving up much less than a Massachusetts resident. A CT resident wishing to challenge an unlawful practice with respect to a carry license can still keep their guns, go to the range, use one for protection in the home, etc.

Here, if someone wishes to challenge a licensing practice, they're not going to get a license and therefore aren't going to be able to even possess a firearm until they either prevail in court or the PD backs down. That's a pretty big difference and we're asking a lot more of someone. The ideal plaintiff is a spouse or family member of a gun owner. Someone who isn't particularly interested in the license itself, but is interested in addressing a problem they view as a violation of one's fundamental right, even if they don't wish to exercise that right themselves.

Secondly, when we talk about a license to carry a firearm versus the ability to keep one in one's home, we're talking about two very, very different things. At least we are when it comes to the kind of case law we can rely upon. If a CT PD is failing to comply with the law when it comes to issuing carry permits, you're forced to rely on state law for a remedy. You do not have a solid constitutional claim to fall back upon. Same thing in Rhode Island. However, when a MA CLEO says you can't even have a handgun in your home until you provide three reference letters and a note from your doctor, they're not only failing to comply with our law, they're also starting to get into that 'violating a fundamental right' territory.

The ability to bring a federal constitutional claim opens up a whole new set of doors for us. There's little cost to a CT PD in continuing to violate CT law even after another similar agency has been told to stop. The Board of Firearms Permit Examiners isn't a court and as far as I know, they can do little more than order a PD to issue a license. That equation changes dramatically if your wins come from a federal court. Several years ago, a federal court struck down the alienage prohibition in our law. That carried a little more weight than just ordering the two police departments to issue licenses. Any continue violation of that ruling by other courts would be automatically actionable. A PD like New London has little to lose by ignoring the BFPE. I suspect they wouldn't be so cavalier about ignoring a federal court order.

Back
Top Bottom