• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Letter of reference?

A friend from Milton is applying for her ltc and needs a letter of recommendation. Bullshit I know but told her I'd do it. Except I've never written one before for anything, I searched the forum with no luck. Was hoping there's a template someone here has or could reccomend?

Thanks in advance.

I thought that there was a thread (likely in the proper forum-MA gun laws) on this topic.

At any rate, here's my take on it - things to call out in your letter:

- How long you've known the person.
- How you know the person (friend, co-worker, etc.).
- Pointing out that the person is reasonable, not a drunk/drug user, responsible, family man (if appropriate), reliable worker (if appropriate) with a level head, etc.
- That you are aware that this person is applying for a LTC and believe that said person would be very responsible and should be issued an unrestricted LTC.

The outfit that I just took the basic course with last month said keep it short and sweet. This is the example they gave:

Dear chief of police and licensing officer,

I have known so and so for so many years. I know him/her to be an educated, hard working, and responsible person. I understand he/she is applying for a gun license and I see no reason why he/she should be denied.

In Worcester they don't even look at them, just goes in the file. The never call references either. i have written letters for a lot of people and have never receive 1 call to confirm I even wrote the letter.

This is what I have always used

10/27/2015

To whom it may concern:

I have known John Doe for more than XX years.

I feel that John Doe is the type of person who is responsible enough to be allowed to own and carry fire arms. If you have any questions and would like to contact me please do not hesitate to call.

Sincerely ,

Your name here
Your address Here
Worcester MA
Phone #

Last edited:
Doubtful that any of these letters in any of the towns requiring them even get read. I know my three references never got contacted, the letters are probably just stashed into a file cabinet somewhere at the station still in their envelopes.

this is one i got from a friend years ago.

Re: Character Reference

To whom it may concern:

I have known atilla for one year. We have worked closely together during this time and I have gotten to know him well.

At all times I have found atilla to be high strung and out of control. He is reliable and that can be found every day when he loses his temper for the smallest of crap. Courtesy can’t come soon enough to this guy. I see him cutting people off just to get out the door after work. Damn guy, slow down. He’s extremely personable and ready to blow up at anytime so don’t piss him off. At least standing in front of him. He has a positive attitude and conducts himself in a safe manner as long as he’s duct taped to a chair in the corner. But that don’t last long.

I wouldn’t recommend atilla for a firearm license unless we cut him loose in Afghanistan or Iraq where all the Crazies are located. If you have further questions, please contact me anytime.

Sincerely,

XYZ

I never understood the reason for the letters. Who is going to ask anyone for a reference that is not going to give a good one. Makes no sense to me other than just adding another hoop.

A friend from Milton is applying for her ltc and needs a letter of recommendation. Bullshit I know but told her I'd do it. Except I've never written one before for anything, I searched the forum with no luck. Was hoping there's a template someone here has or could reccomend?

Thanks in advance.

Here's one I wrote for a friend:

I am writing on behalf of xxxx xxxx, who is applying for a LTC Class A license. I have known xxxxxx since the late 1990’s and have worked with her for the last eight years. I believe xxxxxx is of good moral character and that she understands the seriousness and responsibility to safely own and handle a firearm. I know of no reason why xxxxx shouldn’t be issued a LTC Class A license.

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxxx

I've been listed as a reference several time, but I've never been contacted by the PD.

Back
Top Bottom