Letter of Recommendation Template?

Is there a template somewhere that I can just modify a little bit. A co-worker is applying in a green town and he needs two letters. I searched the forum but didn't see one. Thanks.

Is there a template somewhere that I can just modify a little bit. A co-worker is applying in a green town and he needs two letters. I searched the forum but didn't see one. Thanks.
What town? I know what I had for Haverhill and what the Detective said to include (both my friends went off script entirely but he liked them).

Edit: This is what I texted my buddy when I asked for the letter

"Yeah basically about how I am a person of good character who doesn't have known issues with drugs, alcohol,or anger management issues.

So only if I am good at hiding the meth lab that funds my militia?"

Last edited:
Not that anyone seems to care, but requiring such letters is outside of what is required by law. But, obviously you'd be denied as unsuitable if you refused to provide them. So bow down and submit to the demands of your betters, don't worry, you'll get your permission slip, and to hell with how suitability is used to unlawfully control and discriminate against others.

All ranting aside, good luck.

To whom it may concern,

I have known mtnbiker26 for 13 years, and have found him to be a reliable, conscientious and safe user of firearms. He has consistently demonstrated the knowledge, skills and attitude that are needed for firearms ownership.

Sincerely,

To whom it may concern,

I have personally known mtnbiker26 for 4 years and know him to be a responsible individual and I know of no reason that he should not receive an unrestricted firearms license.

Sincerely,

I copied these from a thread on here and used them for my app.

some towns have guidance about how they issue licenses so in the recommendation letter you typically just provide what they request nearly verbatim. No need to go into details or be creative. Mine are like four sentences at most. Based on what my city asks for the highlights of the top of my head are:

• known this person for [x] number of years
  • describe how you know the person (just to emphasize you're not related because they usually ask for letters from non-relatives), e.g. "we met in high school" or "we worked together" or you can just state "we are friends and not related"
  • you think the person is "of sound mind and character and believe they have demonstrated responsibility for the safe possession of a firearm" which that's the exact wording of the guidance in my city.
  • note they can contact you if they need further info
  • sign then state full name, address and phone number

jeezus....no ones ever written a letter of recommendation before? ya gotta copy a template? this isn't a brain teaser.

If I win the lottery I may just move back to MA to one of these "green" towns that require letters to exercise my rights and then sue them when they deny because I didn't comply with their dumbass rules

Not that anyone seems to care, but requiring such letters is outside of what is required by law. But, obviously you'd be denied as unsuitable if you refused to provide them. So bow down and submit to the demands of your betters, don't worry, you'll get your permission slip, and to hell with how suitability is used to unlawfully control and discriminate against others.

All ranting aside, good luck.
I talked with the licensing officer in my town about the new requirement of letters (since previous app I had put in 5 years ago)

The conclusion of the conversation was "Yeah, I get it we all have bosses" and I dropped the subject. It's BS but I am not the kind of dink who would rail against the guy caught in the middle. Detective Corthell is an awesomely great guy and a tribute to the Haverhill police department, if he ever needs I would write him the recommendation letter. ;)

My wife had to do her app in Somerville where the end result was her continually ranting about the patronizing attitude of the licensing officer. (If you are a fit 6' guy who is a police officer do NOT tell my 5' wife who is an adult about your thoughts on young people owning guns, how safe the city is, and that she should feel safe). There he had all sorts of personal rules about how long you should have lived the the city and requiring a personal letter about why you want a license. SPOILER ALERT: Dude tries to always leave his gun at the station, he doesn't want it in the house with his kids.

I talked with the licensing officer in my town about the new requirement of letters (since previous app I had put in 5 years ago)

The conclusion of the conversation was "Yeah, I get it we all have bosses" and I dropped the subject. It's BS but I am not the kind of dink who would rail against the guy caught in the middle. Detective Corthell is an awesomely great guy and a tribute to the Haverhill police department, if he ever needs I would write him the recommendation letter. ;)

It's never about the guy behind the counter, well sometimes it is, but for extra requirements it's a policy. And that makes no difference, it is still wrong. And the guy at the counter can be a great person, but if he's enforcing the policy than he is still the face of the department as it uses suitability to enforce an unlawful requirement. Ask him a simple yes/no. All other things being equal, if you refuse to provide the letters will they deny your LTC? If the answer is yes then they are using suitability to unlawfully deny you, if the answer is no then why are they requiring the letters. Being a nice guy who is just following orders doesn't cut it for me.

I wrote one recently for a friend and went way off script. I used the opportunity to give the chief a list of the reasons that he had no business asking reference letters. The applicant loved it, submitted it, and didn't hear a pip about it. Just got his license a few weeks later.

It's never about the guy behind the counter, well sometimes it is, but for extra requirements it's a policy. And that makes no difference, it is still wrong. And the guy at the counter can be a great person, but if he's enforcing the policy than he is still the face of the department as it uses suitability to enforce an unlawful requirement. Ask him a simple yes/no. All other things being equal, if you refuse to provide the letters will they deny your LTC? If the answer is yes then they are using suitability to unlawfully deny you, if the answer is no then why are they requiring the letters. Being a nice guy who is just following orders doesn't cut it for me.
I guess I should have specified, that's where the conversation ends with him.

When is the last time you have talked to the middle guy about something and it got solved? I know who backed the idea of I want to take the next step in pursuing it.

We have 351 separate license officers, or as I call them knights to appease. How easy it is to be licensed depends on where you try to pass.
It’s a tried and true old English law, ,continued here and faithfully followed step 1:

—————————

The knights appear silhouetted in a misty wood, wearing robes and horned helmets; their number is never apparent, but there are at least six. The leader of the knights, played by Michael Palin, is the only one who speaks to the party. He is nearly double Arthur's height, and wears a great helm decorated with long antlers. The other knights are large, but of human proportions, and wear visored sallet helmets decorated with cow horns. The knight explains that they are the "keepers of the sacred words 'Ni', 'Peng', and 'Neee-Wom'." Arthur confides to Sir Bedivere, "those who hear them seldom live to tell the tale!"[1]

TasksEdit

The knights demand a sacrifice, and when Arthur states that he merely wishes to pass through the woods, the knights begin shouting "Ni!", forcing the party to shrink back in fear. After this demonstration of their power, the head knight threatens to say "Ni!" again unless the travelers appease them with a shrubbery; otherwise they shall never pass through the wood alive. When Arthur questions the demand, the knights again shout "Ni!" until the travelers agree to bring them a shrubbery, which the head knight specifies must be "one that looks nice. And not too expensive."[1][2]

Back
Top Bottom