Letter from the AG to the Legislators

Chris

NES Member
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
Got a copy of the Email the AG's office sent to the legislators. Here is the BS they are being told:

------------------------------------

Yesterday, as you may know, my office announced a notice to all licensed gun dealers in Massachusetts regarding our state assault weapons ban. I have included the press release below.

For many years, the gun industry has been marketing and selling what they describe as "Massachusetts compliant" assault weapons, despite the fact that these guns are actually banned under existing state law. There were about 10,000 of these weapons sold in Massachusetts last year alone. Our notice clarifies what it means to be a “copy” or “duplicate” of a prohibited assault weapon under G.L. c. 140, §§ 121, 128 and 131M, and it announces our intention to enforce our state ban on sales of copycat assault rifles for all sales conducted on or after July 20, 2016. It does not create new law, nor does it apply to individuals who purchased one of these weapons before July 20.

I know some of you may be receiving calls and inquiries about the announcement from constituents, so I wanted to provide you with some additional information that I hope will be helpful. Here is a web page where you can find the letter we sent, the enforcement notice, and answers to some frequently asked questions: http://www.mass.gov/ago/public-safety/awbe.html.

There are also a couple of phone numbers I wanted you to have, so you can direct constituents to our office. Gun dealers who have questions about compliance can call (617) 963-2775. For all other questions or comments, you can direct constituents to our Consumer Assistance and Response Division hotline at (617) 727-8400.

--------------------------

Nothing here about the vastly broad standard she is putting in place that would actually target virtually every semi-automatic sold since 1998. One of the reasons the original law was all about cosmetics was that they could not find a way to describe the operation of the "evil" guns in such a way that would not impact every semi-automatic. The AG has opened that can of worms. Regardless of the spin being put on this, the serious nature of this reinterpretation isn't just the impact on "Assault Weapons" as the AG is claiming, but that her standard impacts everyone from Boy Scouts to hunters as well.

5341.jpg

Back
Top Bottom