"Let's See Your" JC Higgins .22LR...

...Or other similar "department store .22"

My father just passed on to me his first ever rifle, a .22 bolt-action JC Higgins that he got from Sears & Roebuck when he was 11 or 12 (Circa ~ 1962).

I love those old cheapo .22's. Nice, realiable old plinkers!

I'll try to post up pics when I can!

Sorry to bust your thread. Not a .22, but an old JC Higgans 12gauge. I love this old goat.

P9010584.jpg

Here's my JC Higgins Model 103.228 (Marlin Model 80). I picked it up for $40 bucks. I reshaped the bolt arm cutout on the stock, refinished the stock with boiled linseed oil, added a Weaver scope and a leather sling.

Before:

DSC013031.JPG

DSC01302.JPG

After:

DSC014142.JPG

DSC014152.JPG

DSC014192.JPG

Middle in Pic.
A 1952 JC Higgins S/L/LR
It is also a Savage.
Been shooting it since 1972. It has my Dads.

Attachments

• IM000226.JPG
    IM000226.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 36
I have an oldie but goody 1940's Savage 4C .22 with original Weaver scope that looks very similar to the "before" pics. I'd love to do that to my stock. Any interest in doing some work? I'll post a pic later

I have an oldie but goody 1940's Savage 4C .22 with original Weaver scope that looks very similar to the "before" pics. I'd love to do that to my stock. Any interest in doing some work? I'll post a pic later

Its wicked easy to refinish using boiled linseed oil. Just sand down your stock using progressively finer sandpaper. I started off with 80 grit (probably should have used 100 to start) then moved to 150, 250 and finished with 400. For what I wanted 400 was enough, but you can go to 600 and 800 grit. After you're done sanding, head to Lowe's. They've got Boiled Linseed Oil for around $7 and you can get clean white rags for $2.

Apply a coat of boiled linseed oil evenly on the stock using the clean rags. Wait an hour. Wipe down with a dry clean rag, and rub another coat of boiled linseed oil on. Wait another hour and wipe down the stock again with a clean rag. Apply two coats a day until you get the desired effect. The more coats, the darker the finish will be.

I only applied two coats.

If you want, you can apply a clearcoat over the boiled linseed oil, or leave it as is. If you leave it without a clear coat, you'll have to touch up the stock once in a while.

jpattersonnh gave me the advice on refinishing using boiled linseed oil, so send him a PM for further advice.

Post some pic's of yours when ya get a chance. I'd like to see the grain of the wood. Yours may be suited better to a darker stain, maybe something like Tung Oil.

These old rifles are great projects, because they can be found cheap and they shoot so well (at least most of 'em).

Its wicked easy to refinish using boiled linseed oil. Just sand down your stock using progressively finer sandpaper. I started off with 80 grit (probably should have used 100 to start) then moved to 150, 250 and finished with 400. For what I wanted 400 was enough, but you can go to 600 and 800 grit. After you're done sanding, head to Lowe's. They've got Boiled Linseed Oil for around $7 and you can get clean white rags for $2.

Apply a coat of boiled linseed oil evenly on the stock using the clean rags. Wait an hour. Wipe down with a dry clean rag, and rub another coat of boiled linseed oil on. Wait another hour and wipe down the stock again with a clean rag. Apply two coats a day until you get the desired effect. The more coats, the darker the finish will be.

I only applied two coats.

If you want, you can apply a clearcoat over the boiled linseed oil, or leave it as is. If you leave it without a clear coat, you'll have to touch up the stock once in a while.

jpattersonnh gave me the advice on refinishing using boiled linseed oil, so send him a PM for further advice.

You've done fine. Easy stuff. JP

This is a J. Stevens "Springfield" model 22lr. I know its not a J.C. Higgins but all of these were sears 22's anyways.

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

Sorry for the gay background[wink]. My parents bed spread was the only thing the rifle would photograph well on.

Last edited:
Nice rifle.

My father has a mint condidion sears .22 LR in his safe, IDK what model, but it is bolt action, tube fed. It actually says Sears & Roebuck on the barrel. No manufacturer (such as J. Stevens)

Last edited:
Viper,
Very Nice!

I have my Grandfathers model 103.16 (cira who knows). It needs refinishing as well and the plastic trigger guard has cracked but it shoots great and has a sweet trigger.

Thanks for the post.

Thats great. These old rifles are fun.

The trigger on mine sucks however...real gritty and isn't by any means a light pull.

Back
Top Bottom