• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Lessons on School Shooting Prevention from the Era of Hijackings"

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
Lessons on School Shooting Prevention from the Era of Hijackings
Like any complicated problem, solving hijackings required a multi-prong solution, but I believe that ultimately the number of hijackings dropped dramatically after 9/11 because
  1. It became harder to bring weapons on board airplanes and into cockpits;
  2. Passengers realized that hijackers might not be looking for a free ride to Cuba, but instead may just crash the airplane; and
  3. Planes had become hardened targets, which meant would-be hijackers were not going to be able to accomplish their goals
At the end of the day, the goal should be to make it so difficult for a would-be school shooter to commit a shooting, that he or she is discouraged from carrying it out in the first place. We proved we could do this with hajackings (without infringing on constitutional rights), and we can do it with shootings as well.

You really want all those high school kids taking off their stinky sneakers on the way in, and getting felt up by TSA?​
There was a time when I would have volunteered to do the patdowns on the girls, but my daughter is a HS Senior so that would just be icky. Plus, Lady Radtekk would NOT be amused!

So according to NPR there were about 11 verified school shootings last year, out of about 100,000 schools or so.
It seems like a vanishingly small risk, considering how many kids are killed by cars each year (1,600 killed, 2.5 million injured). How many of those were on the way to or from school? How about starting there, and worrying about the one in a million risks later.

1. It became harder to bring weapons on board airplanes and into cockpits;

This one is total BS. I would contend that making it harder for people to bring "weapons" on planes prior to 9/11 enabled the hijackers to take over the plane with friggin box cutters!!

Try taking over a PD or Gun Range with box cutters!!!

So according to NPR there were about 11 verified school shootings last year, out of about 100,000 schools or so.
It seems like a vanishingly small risk, considering how many kids are killed by cars each year (1,600 killed, 2.5 million injured). How many of those were on the way to or from school? How about starting there, and worrying about the one in a million risks later.

Because car accidents (even ones that result in alpo chunks) don't cause irrational pant shitting hysteria, lol. You think the window licking public will ever evaluate safety risks rationally? [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom