LEO LTC fee question

Who determines what constitues a LEO to allow the $25 LTC fee?
Heres whats happening to a fellow co-worker of mine, we are Federal Correctional Officers, myself and lots of others have no problem with our local PD and pay the $25 LTC fee. My co-worker just filled out all the proper paperwork and when he went to turn it in the Chief (Ayer Ma.) told him he would have to pay $100 because he doesn't considered CO's LEO to warrant the reduced fee.?? Can anyone shed some light on this topic.
We as Federal Correctional Officers have powers of arrest, carry firearms, qualify yearly on them(shotgun, M-16 and 9mm) we train at the Federal Lawenforcment Training center in Glynco Georgia, receive Law enforcment pay differential and retirement.

Come on Chief.... who do you think babysits the thugs your guys bring in

The Chief of Police is the determining official. It may be worth while having a ranking member of your agency contact the Chief. Another option is to contacct Chief Ron Glidden of Lee (MA) PD. he is THE authority on gun laws is MA. he may be able to shed light on the situation. I do the MIRCS for my department and am pretty sure my chief considers CO's as LEO's

Who determines what constitues a LEO to allow the $25 LTC fee?

I feel your pain . . . personally!

It's the local chief that makes that determination. There is no real "appeal process" and they have a VERY narrow view of what a LEO is! Basically if you aren't municipal/state police (FT), most will deny you the LEO pricing.

The Chief of Police is the determining official. It may be worth while having a ranking member of your agency contact the Chief. Another option is to contacct Chief Ron Glidden of Lee (MA) PD. he is THE authority on gun laws is MA. he may be able to shed light on the situation.

I agree with having a ranking member of your org try to talk with the chief. Good luck!

Don't waste your time with Ron Glidden. BTDT and he is the source of the narrow view in who is/isn't a LEO wrt the LTC fees. I've had a very similar discussion with him a few times and only left frustrated.

i could be wrong,

seriously, I'm probably 100% wrong.

but can't your "chief" or "sheriff" at work issue your LTC?

-again, dont' quote me, but I have a close friend who works at South Bay, he lives in a red town and was told that the the Suffolk County Sheriff can issue him is LTC-A w/o restrictions.

*i'm not sure about the federal guys, but he's SOL, as he doesn't transport prisioners, thus "not" have a "need" according to his boss or Chief of Police

- it's assinine.

If he worked for a police department his chief could issue the LTC but he's a federal corrections officer. And a sheriff cannot issue a LTC.

Ours are free at my PD. I was under the impression that ALL LEOs were free.

It's really up to the city/town to charge or waive the fee. I believe most PD's waive the fee for LEO's.

Maybe we should start a new thread on this topic. Which City/Town charges/waives LTC renewal fees for LEO's??? [wink]

Fee discounts or waivers are at the discretion of the Chief. When I lived in Norwood, I got a discount. I live in Foxboro now and the fee is waived. Usually, Departments won't cover the fee because for employment purposes, an LEO can carry their duty firearm "on the badge" and don't legally need a LTC.

My department does LTCs at $25 for LEO, dont know about COs but I'd expect it would be the same....

I think it was in 2004 that President bush made us (CO's) considered law enforcement. You could def. fight it and probably win. if you have the time.

Back
Top Bottom