• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LEO checking what guns you own just beacuse?

How is it Tinfoil when by your own implication the list could be used for something useful (like identifying very active gun transaction participants), if not already?

I understand if it makes LEO feel more prepared when they get a call to investigate to get "situational" information on what they might encounter. That's real value of the list currently (although completely Unconstitutional).

The only direction that the use of this information can go is that which infringes even further on 4th Amendment (much less 2nd Amendment) Rights.

In your hypothetical,

I highly doubt that the situation suggested here would end with "End of Story".

You may highly doubt it all youd like, but Ive been involved in 3 separate scenarios within my jurisdiction that ended just like that.

It's used to scope order of magnitude. When liberal Statists start cracking down on "domestic terrorism" (ie, gun ownership), those who have done 100 transactions will be at the top of list, whereas the person who has trasferred a single hand-gun in the post Obama or Newtown scare won't get SWATed with a no-knock until later.

The number of gun owners is so small in MA in relative terms anyone with a permit issued to them is likely to have a gun, and effectively "marked for death". In other words, you're basically worrying about losing the horse when it left the barn a long time ago. I'm not saying that I "like" the system either, but when you have a mandatory permit system in place it doesn't matter much.

-Mike

I highly doubt that the situation suggested here would end with "End of Story".

Lots of LEOs have blown smoke up peoples asses on 209A confiscations and the like about "guns not being obtained that are still on the list, you'll go to jail if we don't find DAT GUN" but when the dust settles there's not a ****ing thing they can actually do to you. Yeah, there is a crime for failing to disclose, blah blah blah, but good luck securing a conviction on that one if the gun doesn't exist in the scope of the warrant.

-Mike

Lots of LEOs have blown smoke up peoples asses on 209A confiscations and the like about "guns not being obtained that are still on the list, you'll go to jail if we don't find DAT GUN" but when the dust settles there's not a ****ing thing they can actually do to you. Yeah, there is a crime for failing to disclose, blah blah blah, but good luck securing a conviction on that one if the gun doesn't exist in the scope of the warrant.

-Mike

Correct Sir.

You may highly doubt it all youd like, but Ive been involved in 3 separate scenarios within my jurisdiction that ended just like that.

My concern isn't what is happening now, but what will happen in the future when "firearm enthusiasm" is considered a mental illness and that gun violence is an imminent emergency that LEO needs to mitigate.

Sounds like Tinfoil, but if these people get their way, you'll be using the list to implement pre-crime mitigation.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/2015/01/no_author/do-you-question-powere280a8/

My concern isn't what is happening now, but what will happen in the future when "firearm enthusiasm" is considered a mental illness and that gun violence is an imminent emergency that LEO needs to mitigate.

Sounds like Tinfoil, but if these people get their way, you'll be using the list to implement pre-crime mitigation.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/2015/01/no_author/do-you-question-powere280a8/

Got ya. Im concerned about the future as well, I intend on retiring within the next 9 years, so my cloak of LEO awesomeness will expire, making me a serf once again.
But, in all seriousness, I am concerned that "the list" will be used for evil at some point. I dont share your concern about the guy with the most transactions becomes an immediate target way of thinking. My concern is that some police dept. uses that list for something, and the case goes all the way to the SJC, and the PD is found to be in the right. That could be a real problem.

Is it legal for LEO to search what fire arms an individual owns just because he wants to know for his own personal reasons?

As far as I know cops and law enforcement in general I believe are only supposed to access that info for legitimate business reasons. But the lines are so blurred today who is going to say anything to them.

Even so if a cop notices a hot chick cruising by in a little red Corvette he or she is not allowed to run the plate to find out who the driver is or where she lives it to get her phone number unless she has broken the law.

Having said that....cops look up crap all the time for their own personal reasons. Who is going to stop them?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom