• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LEO buying a non compliant gun ?

NFD9

NES Member
Can someone point me to the section of law that allows a LEO to purchase a new non compliant handgun? I can't seem to find it.
TIA

You won't find it because MGLs does NOT allow for this! 1998 law made NO EXCEPTIONS for LEOs at all.

AGENCIES can purchase whatever from wherever, so some LEOs get their PD to order it and then the PD does a "private transfer" to the LEO. I am in no way going to address the legality of this sort of thing (it WOULD violate Fed Law if the FET was not paid and it was immediately transfered to an officer)!

The AG Regs (CMR probably quoted or referenced here on Gun Laws or LEO Bubbas sub-forums, suggest use Advanced Search and you might find it) DO have an exemption for LEOs.

Therefore, any gun on the EOPS List (e.g. Glocks) can be privately ordered by a LEO, But if it is NOT on the EOPS List, it is supposed to be "untouchable" by an individual LEO.

HTH

LenS,
Wow, that was a great explanation.
I have asked three different FFLs and gotten three different answers.
None of which were specific.
I will try and find the AG regs limitations.

Thanks for explaining it so even I could understand.[smile]

Glad to help.

If you are an LEO and want the name of the LE (ONLY) distributor who sells LE-priced guns via your FFL (Four Seasons is on their list), shoot me an Email off my profile (my PMs are toast).

The way it works is that the (new) gun has to be on the EOPS List, you send your credentials and payment to the LE Distributor and they ship to your FFL. You do your 4473, NICS and FA-10 at your local dealer. Total cost is what the LE Distributor charges (including MA Sales Tax) + local FFL transfer fee. This is MUCH CHEAPER than so-called "LE Discount" that most dealers will offer you. [Example: G17, 22, 23, etc. LE Distributor cost is $398.20 with 3 new hi-cap mags. A friend (sworn, armed Fed LE) paid $550 for G22 at a local Metro-West LE dealer with his "LE Discount"! [rolleyes] ]

Back
Top Bottom