• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lens, was that you

who just served me a subpoena. A nice gentleman just came and served me a subpoena( another stupid lawsuit). I didn't know if you were in So. Attleboro about 15 mins ago. I didn't think to ask untill after the constable had left.

Not guilty! :)

I just got back from Quincy where I spent late afternoon and evening at a computer reseller trade show.

Before that I was cleaning 4 guns and up to my elbows in Hoppes #9! :)

I do spend a lot of time serving papers in the Attleboro area, but it wasn't me this time.

I don't usually introduce myself to those that I serve. Only in very rare cases do I tell the person my name.

I usually don't want them knowing who I am, as I'm just the "delivery boy" and have "no dog in the hunt". So I don't want them taking out their frustrations on me.

Two Constables in No. Attleboro or Attleboro (can't recall which) are brothers and I know their families for a lot of years. One of them served on the PD with me.

Tony, there are only a few people who I know that I hope one day to have the honor to "serve"! [twisted] [wink]

For those folks I've even made an offer to a few attorneys that I would discount my normal rate just for the pleasure of serving them! [twisted]

No luck so far!

Truthfully, I've served a number of papers where I really feel bad for the person I'm serving. Best advice I can give them is to get a good attorney so that they stand a chance of avoiding getting screwed by the system.

Discount rates?!? If I were doing that I could name a few people whom I'd not only serve for free, but would actually pay for the privilege. Rosenthal, Angus, Cheryl, ... [twisted] [twisted] [twisted]

Ken

KMaurer said:
Discount rates?!? If I were doing that I could name a few people whom I'd not only serve for free, but would actually pay for the privilege. Rosenthal, Angus, Cheryl, ... [twisted] [twisted] [twisted]

I could add a few more myself, Ken. I wouldn't make a lot of money, that's for sure! :D

By MGLs there are minimum rates we are supposed to charge. We can charge more for additional (or emergency) services.

But there are some real asshats out there that I'd bend the rules for, in a heartbeat! [lol]

Is there anything in the laws about paying a "finder's fee"? OK, I'll charge the statutory minimum, but be willing to pay a finder's fee significantly larger.

Ken

C-pher said:
LenS said:
By MGLs there are minimum rates we are supposed to charge.

Isn't the key word supposed?

Pardon me:

The precise wording is SHALL, Ch. 262 S. 8
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/262-8.htm

"The fees of sheriffs, deputy sheriffs and constables shall be as follows:"

I don't think they mention anything about finders fees. HOWEVER, a big gotcha is MGL Ch. 41 S. 95A and S. 95B which REQUIRES us to file monthly statements with our Town/City Treasurer and pay them 25% of the gross of the fees mentioned above! No other private business has to pay this IN ADDITION to income taxes, but that was part of RINO Romney's "fees, but no new taxes".

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/41-95a.htm
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/41-95b.htm

So, we could do the work for nothing, but we'd still have to pay the Town/City 25% of what we should have charged!

Back
Top Bottom