• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Legit? WWII Liberator pilot shoots down zero with a 1911?

While dangling from parachute cords?

http://worldwarwings.com/bailed-out-and-shot-at-this-pilot-made-a-historical-kill

[h=1]Bailed Out And Shot At, This WWII Pilot Made A Historic Kill[/h]While parachuting, a Japanese pilot decided that downing the plane wasn’t enough. He circled around and started shooting at the bailed out pilots, killing two of the crew. Seeing this, Baggett did the only thing he could. He played dead.

Not convinced Baggett was dead, the Zero pulled up to him at near stall speed, the pilot opening his canopy to check on his horrendous work. Not wasting any time and thinking on his feet (no pun intended), Baggett pulled out his pistol and shot the pilot right in the head.

hmmm, I heard crazier stories, unless they recovered the pilot and determined his cause of death (45 slug) ... even at stall speed, zero would be moving pretty fast past the pilot.

may be the Jap had a stroke when he saw pilot huge balls hanging in the air.

... While dangling from parachute cords?
Not convinced Baggett was dead, the Zero pulled up to him at near stall speed, the pilot opening his canopy to check on his horrendous work. Not wasting any time and thinking on his feet (no pun intended), Baggett pulled out his pistol and shot the pilot right in the head.

...from which we get the term, Condition Zero.

This was brought up once before and IIRC there was evidence that it did go as he claims.

Stranger things have happened.

My father was a tail gunner in an SBD Dauntless dive bomber for almost a year. He said he probably fired a quarter million bullets and didn't think they hit anything but the ground.

Max speed was 250 mph and he said the Zeros would dive past so fast he could barely swing the gun. (Some SBD's had dual 30's, some single).

Okay, that makes more sense. The pilot in the Zero pulled up into a stall when Baggett shot him. Pulling up into a stall is not the same as flying at just above stall speed.

In any event, the pilot opened his canopy and approached within feet of Baggett’s chute, nose up and on the verge of a stall.

Interesting link with the bigger back story.

The fact that the guy himself acts this way:
"Retired Colonel Baggett, now living in San Antonio, Tex., believes he shot down the Japanese pilot, but because that judgment is based on largely indirect and circumstantial evidence, he remains reluctant to talk much about it."

And this:
"Col. Harry Melton, commander of the 311th Fighter Group who had been shot down, passed through the POW camp and told Baggett that a Japanese colonel said the pilot Owen Baggett had fired at had been thrown clear of his plane when it crashed and burned. He was found dead of a single bullet in his head."

Don't know how tough a plastic canopy is WRT .45 ACP ammo, but it wlll go through the old-style steel helmet.

My dad had an argument with another soldier, as to whether it would stop a .45.

Guy put his helmet down, my dad put a round through it, then said, "Now, go explain that to the QM!"

[laugh]

Don't know how tough a plastic canopy is WRT .45 ACP ammo, but it wlll go through the old-style steel helmet.

Guy put his helmet down, my dad put a round through it, then said, "Now, go explain that to the QM!"

[laugh]

LOL - I know the new Kevlar helmet will stop a 45 and a 9mm, but I am guessing you would have one helluva headache!

[laugh]

That's funny...chalk up one helmet to friendly fire. [laugh]

A .45 would probably take down a Zero too because every effort towards weight reduction to make it fast and maneuverable also left it vulnerable without any armor or structural support.

The Zero was known to the Americans as the "paper tube", due to its lack of armour and structural defenses. The aircraft lit up easily, and practically any gun in the Allied arsenal could shoot down one of these fighters.

My step father died a couple years back. He was one hell of a nice guy to my mother. He was a ball turret gunner on in a b24. Not only did they blow up dams. Of which he described how he had to relay when the lights under the plane met so they knew what altitude to drop the spinning bomb. He also shot down 7 German planes. He only told me because he was dying and wanted to be forgiven on some level. I was in the army and he and I shared some experiences. So shooting a zero pilot in the face isn't something to be proud of and the colonel probably would have rather forgotten about it. People that have know what I'm saying, the others won't

LOL - I know the new Kevlar helmet will stop a 45 and a 9mm, but I am guessing you would have one helluva headache!
We'd just gotten the Kevlar helmets when a Ranger got shot point-blank by an AKM during the Granada invasion and the helmet deflected it.

I called it, "The shot heard 'round the world," because everyone in the Army heard the story within 24 hours.

The A6M Zero burns easily because most of the aircraft was magnesium, no self sealing tanks are also a great incentive to get the flames going. No armor for the pilot or critical systems was yet another bonus to aid in putting the Zero into the ground, (or sea).

The airframe was aluminum but used some magnesium fittings and other parts. Some German planes used much more, including magnesium engine mounts and wing panels. American aircraft also used a variety of magnesium forgings. Early B29 crankshafts were made of magnesium forgings, until they started burning off the wings......

Specifically the B-36 incorporated 8,620Kg of magnesium: 5,555Kg of sheet, 700Kg of forgings and 300Kg of castings.

It's likely the Zero's vulnerability to fire was the combination of large fuel capacity and non self-sealing tanks, as well as the flammability of other components and the lack of any fire suppression systems. I also learned that many Japanese pilots did not wear parachutes, so one downed Zero = one lost pilot.

Back
Top Bottom