Legality side of Saiga 5.45 conversion to AK-74 configuration.

I'm sure this has been covered in more than one or two threads here and elsewhere, but I'm having hard time finding any date-relevant or MA-relevant info, so bear with on this *old* question one more time.Here it goes:

Is it legal in mASSachusetts to perform conversion of 5,45 Saiga sporting rifle into AK-74 configuration? in Other words can I buy Saiga and make it into AK by adding a pistol grip and a muzzle break? Also changing furniture to current Russian military style synthetic furniture (plum or black)

basicaly take something boring like this:
factory_saiga.gif

and turning it into something like this (girl is not included):
girl-ak.jpg

sprout47-albums-saiga-picture2908-saiga-74.jpg

f1asgl2161.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, MA's (formerly Fed) AWB allows a semi-automatic rifle that accepts a detachable magazine to have one of the five "evil features". Adding a pistol grip to a current production Saiga rifle through an 'AK-conversion' is 100% legal as long as you do not add a folding, colapsing, or telescopic scope, flash supressor, bayonet lug, or grenade launcher.

Yes, MA's (formerly Fed) AWB allows a semi-automatic rifle that accepts a detachable magazine to have one of the five "evil features". Adding a pistol grip to a current production Saiga rifle through an 'AK-conversion' is 100% legal as long as you do not add a folding, colapsing, or telescopic scope, flash supressor, bayonet lug, or grenade launcher.

I thoughts so too, but wanted to be extra sure since otherwise i'm looking at 10year/$10k with felony conviction. No one wants that nor do I.
Thanks

I believe there are 922 issues as well.

I believe there are 922 issues as well.

I was under impression that Saiga rifle already meets 922r requirements otherwise it would be legal to sell in the US?
It's not like i will be building a new rifle from a kit, simply changing furniture, trigger/hammer asmby, adding muzzle break and a pistol grip.
i don't think i'm falling into 'building a new gun' category, or am I wrong?

I was under impression that Saiga rifle already meets 922r requirements otherwise it would be legal to sell in the US?
It's not like i will be building a new rifle from a kit, simply changing furniture, trigger/hammer asmby, adding muzzle break and a pistol grip.

It is currently importable due to it's status as a "sporting" rifle. Adding a pistol grip negates it's "sporting" status, and definitely triggers 922(r), as it would not be importable in such a configuration...

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

There are several letters from the ATF on other forums out there that define "rifle assembly" as what you are intending to do. So, according to them, you would be violating their laws. They even define assembly as part maintenance. So even if you had a pre-922(r) rifle, and a part broke- if you were to replace it, you'd have to be mindful of that law if you planned on playing within the rules.

Being that 922r refers to the assembly of rifles from foreign parts, you would be in direct violation of this federal law if you did not pay attention to your US part count.

Being that your intention is to use current issue Russian plum furniture, I suggest you find some other US parts to put in your Saiga. Trigger group would get you 3 parts, a gas piston would get you an extra but I'm guessing that involves more work than you're willing to put into it (requires a spot weld). Perhaps sacrifice the pistol grip and add a US machined muzzle brake and you'll be able to use most of the foreign parts that you want to use.

Arsenal of Nevada also sells replica Russian plum furniture that is molded in the US. It's not as dark as the true russian stuff, but it looks very similar. I just picked up a used set for a Bulgarian 74 that I just built and they look pretty good. It's got some texturing to it that marks up easy, but I'm not too concerned about it since I got it for cheap. Bought new, though, expect to pay $100ish for a complete set with a pistol grip.

And as far as a 5.45x39 rifle, a Saiga is an excellent place to start. Be sure to share pictures of your end project.

Last edited:
I'm sure this has been covered in more than one or two threads here and elsewhere, but I'm having hard time finding any date-relevant or MA-relevant info, so bear with on this *old* question one more time.Here it goes:

Is it legal in mASSachusetts to perform conversion of 5,45 Saiga sporting rifle into AK-74 configuration? in Other words can I buy Saiga and make it into AK by adding a pistol grip and a muzzle break? Also changing furniture to current Russian military style synthetic furniture (plum or black)

basicaly take something boring like this:
factory_saiga.gif

and turning it into something like this (girl is not included):
girl-ak.jpg

In a nutshell..YES.
Be sure it has 5 U.S. made parts for Federal 922r compliance,aswell as all other applicable regs. barrel length,overall length etc.

Also all MA. AWB crap obviously applies i.e. no folding stocks,flash hiders,supressors, post-ban high-cap.magazines etc etc.

link http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?? (chaulk full of info)

Last edited:
In general you will be fine with 922r if you use US manufactured parts to do your conversion. For Saiga rifles you need to replace 5 original parts with 5 US manufactured parts once the rife is no longer in a sporting configuration. In order to do the conversion you will need to swap out the fire control group (3 parts) and the stock will be replaced with a butt stock and a pistol grip. If you use US parts for all of these you will be good as far as 922r.

Be careful... I once used a CAA grip and realized after the fact that CAA parts are made in Israel. I had to find one more part to swap out.

As a precaution I replaced all of the followers in my AK mags with US made ones so that I always have a little buffer when it comes to 922r.

If you have a rifle with a 2009 serial number you may also want to be extra careful with regards to MA AWB. There was a batch of rifles that came into the US with barrel threads hidden under the front sight block and there is no way to tell unless you pull the front block off or cut it back. In free states it is popular to cut the front block back flush with the front sight post so that the exposed barrel can be threaded for a comp or flash hider. In 2009 there were a bunch of people who did this and had a happy (in a free state) surprise of not needing to cut the threads. Here in MA however it means that you may have a hidden "evil feature" that you do not know about. I think the likely hood of you ever getting in trouble for this is slim because the AG would need to take a saw to your rifle just to determine if the threads are there... but you are the only guardian of your own freedom. Use your best judgment.

-MS

Thank you everyone for valuable input.
Now my conversion project has changed to include following parts made in the US:
buttstock -1, forearm/handguard -1, pistol grip -1, trigger -1, hammer -1, disconnector -1, muzzle break -1: total -7 us-made parts
it's more than 6, required by BATFE for AK-family rifles, if my research is correct.
...and yes, I will solder/weld muzzle break on to the barrel to meet AWB requirements.

BTW anyone can suggest a store that is currently selling 5.45 Saigas?
I checked out a couple of my local places this weekend that carried it in the past with negative results.
Apparently one of them no longer can get them from their distributor another one is checking if those are still available. Promised to give me a call sometime mid-week.
While I'm waiting, anyone can report on seeing one for sale also where/how much.
Please PM or post in the thread.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom