Legal to carry in a bar?

NH has a law that places with liquor licenses that are open to the general public must derive more than 50% of their revenue from sales of food. That's not a bar, its a restaurant-with-a-bar or lounge, whatever you want to call it. True bars often don't bother with food, and its never an important part of their income. True bars sometimes let you bring in your own food or have some delivered, and the drinks are a lot cheaper than you find in a lounge. For that experience in NH, you have to find a private club, since "bar" bars are not allowed.

There is a loophole to this via offering pool tables for patrons, I believe its 8 tables in an establishment and there not required to serve food.

I still don't understand what a "Bar" Bar is.............. No really. I'm not talking about outback steak house, thats a restaurant with a bar but what about wallys at hampton beach? they only serve booze not food (i think.......maybe nachos)

I'm confused

NH has a law that places with liquor licenses that are open to the general public must derive more than 50% of their revenue from sales of food. That's not a bar, its a restaurant-with-a-bar or lounge, whatever you want to call it. True bars often don't bother with food, and its never an important part of their income. True bars sometimes let you bring in your own food or have some delivered, and the drinks are a lot cheaper than you find in a lounge. For that experience in NH, you have to find a private club, since "bar" bars are not allowed.

This is still true but the law has been amended. As of January 1, 2010, if you sell only cigars, you can also serve liquor. I know the owner of the Top Shelf cigar shops located in Dover, Epping, and Portsmouth (Federal Cigar). He helped write the bill to allow cigar bars and is planning on opening one up in the seacoast area.

Statute on liquor licenses:
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xiii/178/178-mrg.htm

Specific section on cigar bars:
[RSA 178:20-a effective January 1, 2010.]
178:20-a On-Premises Cigar, Beverage, and Liquor Licenses. –
I. The commission may issue a license to a person who operates a cigar bar as defined in this section and who holds a tobacco retailers license under RSA 178:19-a in any town which has voted to accept the provisions of RSA 663:5, I(b), (c), and (d). The license shall entitle the licensee to serve beverages containing at least 1/2 percent and not more than 6 percent alcohol by volume at 60 degrees Fahrenheit by the glass or other suitable container and by the bottle with the cork or cap removed; specialty beer in any suitable container; liquor containing more than 6 percent alcohol by volume at 60 degrees Fahrenheit, by the glass or other suitable container; and wines, by the glass, by the bottle with the cork or cap removed; or other suitable container, under rules adopted by the commission.
II. In this section, ""cigar bar'' means a business that:
(a) Generates 60 percent or more of its quarterly gross revenue from the sale of cigar-related products, which is limited to cigars, humidors, cigar cutters, cigar cases, lighters, and ashtrays. Mail order and Internet sales, as well as revenue generated from other tobacco sales in store, including cigarettes and loose tobacco sales, shall not be used to determine whether an establishment satisfies the definition of a cigar bar.
(b) Has a humidor on the premises.
(c) Does not allow minors to enter the premises.
(d) Does not allow cigarette smoking or service of food on the premises.
III. No beverage or liquor shall be consumed on the premises except that which is sold by the licensee.
IV. All applicants for employment at a cigar bar shall be presented with a written notice that states that working in a cigar bar has serious and permanent negative health effects, including, but not limited to, an increased risk of cancer and heart disease, and that no level of exposure to second-hand smoke is safe.

Thank you. Now, anyone who knows how to read will realize that NH has various types of licenses. And that what Mr Ausipicious Aspect was referring to falls under only

Section 178:21
178:21 On-Premises Beverage and Liquor Licenses. –
I. (a) The commission may issue a license to any of the types of businesses specified in paragraph II of this section in any town which has voted to accept the provisions of RSA 663:5, I(b), (c), and (d). The license shall entitle the licensee to serve beverages containing at least 1/2 percent and not more than 6 percent alcohol by volume at 60 degrees Fahrenheit by the glass or other suitable container and by the bottle with the cork or cap removed; liquor containing more than 6 percent alcohol by volume at 60 degrees Fahrenheit, by the glass or other suitable container; and wines, by the glass, by the bottle with the cork or cap removed; or other suitable container, under rules adopted by the commission.
(b) No beverage or liquor shall be consumed on the premises except that which is sold by the licensee.
(c) No beverage or liquor shall be removed from the licensed premises by patrons, except as provided by RSA 179:27-a.
II. The commission may authorize establishments, as they are defined in RSA 175:1, having full service restaurants to sell beverages and liquor at such time as food is available.
(a) (1) Licenses for Full Service Restaurants. The commission may issue a license to any full service restaurant. Such license shall entitle the licensee to sell beverages and liquor at tables in the approved dining rooms of the restaurant with or without meals when the restaurant kitchen is in operation and meals are being actively promoted and served in that dining room. The dining room shall not, however, be used as a substitute for lounge operations. Licenses shall be granted only to restaurants approved by the commission and which show the commission on forms, filed with the license application, covering the 12 most recent calendar months prior to filing, that at least 50 percent of the gross sales of any such licensee is in food. Restaurants with annual food sales of at least $75,000 shall be exempt from the 50 percent requirement. The commission shall at least annually review each license, and application for renewal, on the conditions stated in this paragraph.

And not under any other section of the law. So if you want to open a "full service restaurant", yes you have to make more than 50% of your money from food. But hey, what do I know? I just drink a lot. In NH. At bars. That don't make more than 50% of their money from food, but from alcohol sales.

Back
Top Bottom