• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Legal questions from an MP5 manufacturer

I am reaching out as a gun manufacturer with a genuine interest in producing an MP5 variant that complies with the firearms laws in various north-east northeast states associated with your forum.

We are working a new roller delayed 9mm carbine with a fixed stock and 16 inch barrel.

What modifications would be needed in order to make this firearm legal for north east shooters? I realize the laws can vary from state to state so a configuration that would allow the firearm to be legal in the most states would be ideal.

Please share any information or suggestions you have regarding:

1. Barrel length requirements.
  2. Magazine capacity limitations.
  3. Stock or brace laws.
  4. Muzzle device restrictions.
  5. Grip Wrap Devices
  6. Anything other legal issues that you can think of

ZF5L-ESSENTIALS-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
The only sound legal advice I can give that may aid your building a multi-jurisdictional compliant MP5 clone is the "north east" is one word. This is likely the only consistent response you'd get since you basically asked how much is infinity... We can help protect you from the grammar police but offer no further guarantees.

Obligate Hi Maura to cover all bases. really-nice-cousin-eddie.gif

CT is a no feature state so you cannot make anything that works there. NY is a no feature state so you cannot make anything that works there. RI seems likely to go down the stupid hole. HD4420 if it passes drops MA down the stupid hole. You see the problem with your question?

The PTR 9R with a 10rd mag already serves the market as broadly as is possible. I am not sure what you can do differently.

The trilug on your rifle is fine. If the barrel is also threaded that is a non-starter

Seriously. This is a place to get advice and for you currently a free forum is not where you want that advice. Get a copy of all the states laws you’re looking at. Get you lawyer to tell you what you can do. The alphabet agency is not going to say oh Northeastshooters told you it was ok. So we’re ok with that.

You guy's wouldn't do that would you?

It's not a question of if we would do that. It's a statement that you're going to get a mixed bag of sh*t when asking random internet strangers advice that includes legality and compliance. Some of it might be good. Most of it will be bad. Some of it is just for laughs at your expense. And who's to say what is what?

The problem with the OPs question, and all the responses telling him to go get a lawyer, is that the laws here in MA are so f***ed up that there is no clear, practical, non-pant-shitting guidance that anyone can give.

The problem with the OPs question, and all the responses telling him to go get a lawyer, is that the laws here in MA are so f***ed up that there is no clear, practical, non-pant-shitting guidance that anyone can give.
Sure. In MA there is one good lawyer choice and that is @nstassel There are clean answers to the questions here.

• Barrel length requirements. - shorter the better
  • Muzzle device restrictions - suppressors standard
  • Full Auto
Drop-in "K-SD" integrally suppressed barrel conversion
3-position binary trigger system built into the trigger group housing
I am reaching out as a gun manufacturer with a genuine interest in producing an MP5 variant that complies with the firearms laws in various north-east northeast states associated with your forum.
We are working a new roller delayed 9mm carbine with a fixed stock and 16 inch barrel.

What modifications would be needed in order to make this firearm legal for north east shooters?
No state law issues in the NNE states of Maine or New Hampshire or (with one caveat) Vermont.

To get buyers in ME/VT/NH you'll want to be as close to the original MP5 as the feds (and HK's lawyers) will let you, including parts interchangeability with OEM components.

Last edited:
Dont take this as gospel because I am just a humble serf in Maura’s Republik. But I’ve been interested in a Zenith mp5 clone for a long time so I’ll throw my 2 cents (not legal advice)

For MA:
  1. 16”
  2. 10 rd
  3. Fixed stock only. No pistols
  4. Muzzle device ok IF pinned and welded. BUT No flash hider. No threaded barrel alone
  5. Not sure what grip wrap is but probably fine?
Maybe you send me a coupon for when it’s developed? ;)

Back
Top Bottom