• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

legal knife blade size in mass for carry

So would a Colt M16K be legal to have in your home but illegal to carry on your person? It looks like a normal folding pocket knife with a 3" blade, and functions as one also but also has a discrete button when pressed it open up the blade to the locking position.

So would a Colt M16K be legal to have in your home but illegal to carry on your person? It looks like a normal folding pocket knife with a 3" blade, and functions as one also but also has a discrete button when pressed it open up the blade to the locking position.

That knife is definitely an auto, and is definitely carry-illegal in MA.

The whole "non carry possession" thing seems to be a bit gray, IMO, because of the wording in 269-10. Not sure what the point of having the thing is if you can't use it, unless you're a collector or something.

-Mike

This guy was charged for carrying a knife that was stored in his home.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...pointed-shotgun-at-friend-as-a-practical-joke

Craig reported officers searched the house for other suspects and found the following "illegal and dangerous weapons": A double-edged knife, metallic knuckles, nunchaku (two hard, plastic sticks connected by a chain) and shuriken (throwing star with blades).

Spellmeyer is charged with assault with a dangerous weapon, possessing a firearm without an FID card, and four counts of carrying a dangerous weapon.

That's what happens when "carry" means 16 different things in MGL.

This guy was charged for carrying a knife that was stored in his home.

Yeah, but was he actually convicted? People get "charged" for stuff all the time, doesn't mean it sticks, or even in the case where it does stick, who knows what kind of counsel the person had. I bet the perp in that case probably sucked for a plea or something.

-Mike

I doubt he was convicted, I'm just saying people might get hassled for it. Granted, that guy's circumstances weren't benign. [laugh]

I was curious about the S&W HRT boot knife. I have one but I've been unsure about carrying it since I don't know if it falls under the double blade or dirk bans.

And on a side note, am I the only one who wishes they would make these laws easier to understand? My brain hurts just trying to read these things.

If I understand this correctly, the length of 2.5" in some town ordinances, refers only to folding knives not fixed knives so long as they are single edged.

I heard recently that Saugus has a 2.5 inch folder ordinance. Anyone know if is this true? I often wonder how it would play out if you are stopped on a highway passing through a town with an ordinance.

It is damn hard enough to keep up on 2 states (NH and MA) and their laws, let alone every damn city along the way.

I was curious about the S&W HRT boot knife. I have one but I've been unsure about carrying it since I don't know if it falls under the double blade or dirk bans.

If the pictures brought up by Google are right, it's not legal to carry.

If I understand this correctly, the length of 2.5" in some town ordinances, refers only to folding knives not fixed knives so long as they are single edged.

Depends on the town, they can write them all as different as they like.

...I heard recently that Saugus has a 2.5 inch folder ordinance. Anyone know if is this true?...

The ordinance applies to any knife with a blade in excess of 2.5"...

602.19 No person, except as provided by law, shall carry on his person, or carry on his person under his control in a vehicle any saber, sword, or weapon of like or similar nature; and knife having any type of blade in excess of two and one-half (21/2) inches, or other object or tool so redesigned, fashioned, prepared or treated that the same may be used to inflict bodily harm or injury on another, except those persons actually engaged in hunting or fishing or employment which requires the use of a knife with a blade in excess of two and one-half (21/2) inches, and while going directly to and/or returning directly from such activities.

Any person found in the act of violating this section may be arrested without a warrant by any officer authorized to serve animal process, and shall be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars ($50.00) upon conviction.

That's why I don't carry a knife .. too many confusing laws. Instead I choose to carry a folding-blade seat belt cutter (or personal grooming implement if you're a fan of the movie Pitch Black [smile])

Originally Posted by corivers
"oh ok...what about assisted opening knives? would that be considered an auto opener?"

Originally Posted by Ultimate
"No, assisted opening knives are not regulated."

Looking at Mass MGL Chapter 269 § 10 reads, "any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle," I'm not sure I would want to be the one to test the water on this one. I know that the very popular Kershaw knifes have a torsion bar for their assisted-opening mechanism, but I wonder if this would fall under the definition of an "automatic spring device."

Last edited:
Originally Posted by corivers
"oh ok...what about assisted opening knives? would that be considered an auto opener?"

Originally Posted by Ultimate
"No, assisted opening knives are not regulated."

Looking at Mass MGL Chapter 269 § 10 reads, "any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle," I'm not sure I would want to be the one to test the water on this one. I know that the very popular Kershaw knifes have a torsion bar for their assisted-opening mechanism, but I wonder if this would fall under the definition of an "automatic spring device."

Automatic...adjective
1. having the capability of starting, operating, moving, etc., independently: IE: an automatic sprinkler system; an automatic car wash.

Based upon this...my spring assisted blades are certainly not "automatic"....they do no such things without assistance, which in fact would not make them automatic at all....they would be....semi automatic....

F***ing right lol, I told them

The logic behind assisted openers not being switchblades is much the same as single-action v double-action.

Switchblades are single-action. The spring is cocked ahead of time, and the blade is released by a button.

Assisted openers are double-action. The user must manually move the blade (usually about 35*, atleast on Kershaws) before the spring system will take over and push the blade out the rest of the way. Without the user putting energy into the system AT THE TIME OF OPENING, an assisted-opener will not open.

My kid had an assisted opening knife, and when a knife was needed, he brought it out and opened it. Someone said, "That's an illegal knife!" There was a PO there, who said, "No, it's fine. It's an assisted opening knife....like this one!" and pulled out and opened his own! [laugh]

Bump!!

im having a tough time here, are double blades knives ok to carry with a blade length of 1.5"? I remember having hear that along the way but can't seem to find the specific law.

So after reading this, the Buck knife that I bought when I joined GOAL is not legal to carry in every town, even though I have an LTC-A unrestricted (the knife is listed with 3.25" blade but only 2.75" is sharpened). I'm trusted to carry a firearm but not a small knife?

So after reading this, the Buck knife that I bought when I joined GOAL is not legal to carry in every town, even though I have an LTC-A unrestricted (the knife is listed with 3.25" blade but only 2.75" is sharpened). I'm trusted to carry a firearm but not a small knife?

Massachusetts as a state has no legal restrictions on length, only type: E.G. auto-openers, butterflies, stilettos, projectile knives, etc.

AFAIK all city and town ordinance restrictions are slap-on-the-wrist monetary fines, if they even decide to actually hit you with it. Most of the time they will confiscate the knife and send you on your way. Most likely the cop will keep said knife for their personal collection and not even turn it in.

So I can walk down the street with a 14" Machete but I can't have a 4" auto opening knife in my pocket? Oh Massachusetts [laugh]

Massachusetts as a state has no legal restrictions on length, only type: E.G. auto-openers, butterflies, stilettos, projectile knives, etc.

AFAIK all city and town ordinance restrictions are slap-on-the-wrist monetary fines, if they even decide to actually hit you with it. Most of the time they will confiscate the knife and send you on your way. Most likely the cop will keep said knife for their personal collection and not even turn it in.

Butterflies, that are singe-edged, are not prohibited for carry as the others you cite.

- - - Updated - - -

So I can walk down the street with a 14" Machete but I can't have a 4" auto opening knife in my pocket? Oh Massachusetts [laugh]

Not in all places - there is no state prohibition on machetes, but some cities and towns prohibit them (with, of course, "work" exemptions)

This thread makes me want to find a cool auto open knife with a blade less than 1.5 inches. Not sure cool and 1.5 inches can happen...

When I was a little shit I had a little switchblade keychain knife. It was pretty cool. Haven't seen one in years. I went on field trip to New York in 8th grade and the teacher saw me playing with it on the bus. She said "Did you buy that here?" I said "No my dad and I bought a bunch of them at a gun show in VT." She said "Oh. Put it away please." Those were the days.

ETA: Here ya go! I had this same knife.

http://www.myswitchblade.com/Italia...-Grind-White-p/italianpicklokkeychn3black.htm

That knife has a blade length longer than 2.5", but I believe Worcester make an exception of that rule if you have an LTC.

Back
Top Bottom