Lefty shooters

I'm ambidextrous and even play the accordion. I naturally write lefty. As I grew up I decided to try everything I did lefty as a righty and over the years can do pretty much everything with both hands pretty much equally. When it came to shooting, I taught myself to shoot both hands for both pistol and rifle. I decided that there may someday be a situation where one side might improve my chances over the other so being able to pick up a pistol with either hand (I mostly shoot one handed) might turn out to be an advantage. I do carry lefty, however, as it seems to be my natural tendency.

I'm a pistol and rifle instructor and being both-handed helps in teaching both right and left hand pupils.

As for specifics, shooting really nice shotguns with cast-on or cast-off can cause it to be uncomfortable so my shotguns are all cast-off for a righty shooter and I shoot righty.

For any lefty out there who would like a nice military shooter that leans heavily to a lefty, find a VZ52/57 which shoots 7.62 x 39. They (as well as the VZ52) eject to the LEFT, different that virtually all other military rifles. They're very comfortable in that regard.

BTW, 10% of the population are left-handed. As you probably know, lefties use their right side predominantly as opposed to righties who use their left side predominantly. Therefore, Lefties are the only ones in their right minds!
[laugh]
Rome

I'm lefty and am so happy I am as I can close the slide with
my forefinger without interupting my site picture. You learn to adapt to whatever you shoot.

I'm lefty and am so happy I am as I can close the slide with
my forefinger without interupting my site picture. You learn to adapt to whatever you shoot.

Me 2. Slide with forefinger. Mag release with middle. Even slide lock with forefinger but that takes practice.

By the way, everyone is born right handed, but the great ones get over it. Jack.

[laugh] - and it has been documented that lefties DO use the RIGHT side of their brain!! I, too, just adapted to everything - sometimes it feels better with one hand over the other in different circumstances. I mean, who wants to have an over-developed right hand??[smile]

I shoot right handed, but my son shoots left. I just got him his first pump shotgun for his birthday (Marlboro Show acquisition) which has a cross-bolt safety just forward of the trigger.

Being right-handed, I would switch from safe to fire with my trigger finger when sighted on target. How would/should a left handed person make this switch?

If you use your left hand you have to reach under the gun to the other side. If you use your right you remove you hand from the forearm.

I would think you would want to use your left hand. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Born left handed and consider myself a south paw but started shooting pistol right handed/cross eyed many years ago based on the fact that all pistols are right handed and most holsters available "off the shelf" are for right handed people.

These day's I'm a SASS shooter and shoot Double Duelist. Left pistol with my left hand and right pistol with my right hand. Long guns are shot lefty most of the time. I can shoot them right handed if needed.

I think most port siders learn to adapt early on and find it much easier to do stuff with the "off hand". You can switch hand dominance but it takes practice doing every day stuff with the "wrong" hand. Start out just brushing your teeth with the other hand. You get used to it.

My hunting rifle is a Remmie 700 BDL in .30-06 LH and I had a DPMS AR built for me many years ago - before Stag Arms - with a lefty upper and all the controls ambi.

Hope that helps,

Last edited:
I shoot right handed, but my son shoots left. I just got him his first pump shotgun for his birthday (Marlboro Show acquisition) which has a cross-bolt safety just forward of the trigger.

Being right-handed, I would switch from safe to fire with my trigger finger when sighted on target. How would/should a left handed person make this switch?

If you use your left hand you have to reach under the gun to the other side. If you use your right you remove you hand from the forearm.

I would think you would want to use your left hand. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Use the left hand to do this, but really you should have the safety switched to a lefty one. I shoot an Ithaca pump with a lefty safety. The gun also ejects down and not out to the side. I just make sure I warn someone who uses my gun that the safety is "backwards"

Last edited:
I am also a lefty and have shot lefty from the beginning. I think that is one of the reasons I have gravitated toward glocks, so I don't have to deal with the thumb safety issue. As far as rifles go, the only one I have had a problem with is the Kel-Tek sub 2000. Really a shoe string association to a rifle, but I had powder burns on my face after shooting that one, my face was very close to the ejection port.

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Kel-Tec_Sub2000/Mvc-012f.jpg

Handguns - Lefty
Longarms - Righty

Con - Most holsters on the "used" market are RH.
Pro - You aren't right handed. [rofl]

The only "problem" that I have is that I am left eye dominant so I am cross-eye dominant when shooting with a handgun.

If you own enough stuff sooner or later you realize that many things can not be converted to, or bought with, lefty controls, I just adapt and deal with ALL my guns with their factory righty controls.

It just gets too confusing (and potentially dangerous) trying to remember which ones are righty and which ones are lefty. [wink]

We're all born right handed, however the few truly great ones learn to overcome it! [smile]

The cross-eye dominance is not as unusual as you might think. I've seen other guys shoot like that.

As a matter of fact, I was watching Miami:CSI and Horatio was shooting at some bg and holding his pistol in his right hand and sighting with his left eye! I know, I know, it's only a stupid TV show but somehow that bit of trivia escaped the technical guys.

Rome

my oldest boy shoots rifles and shotguns left handed as he is lefy eye dominat....boy it was tuff on him learning to shoot as a kid especially when he was gettint outshot by both his younger brother and sister.

Back
Top Bottom