Lee Case length

I'm not sure how this can happen. Isn't the case gauge trimmer supposed to be one size? I would send it back to Lee for a replacement. Be sure to ask them to send the replacement by Priority mail as it will be much quicker.

I'm not sure how this can happen. Isn't the case gauge trimmer supposed to be one size? I would send it back to Lee for a replacement. Be sure to ask them to send the replacement by Priority mail as it will be much quicker.

I called lee and they told me that every trimmer from every manufacturer will do the same. They also said that .010" is not significant enough to worry about. I don't know how I feel about that statement and I know the .010" is making a big difference with my crimping.

I called lee and they told me that every trimmer from every manufacturer will do the same. They also said that .010" is not significant enough to worry about. I don't know how I feel about that statement and I know the .010" is making a big difference with my crimping.

It shouldn't. Cannalures I have measured are about .040". I no longer trim brass that
measures less than/equal to .005" over trim length and some others routinely do not trim
unless the brass is .010" over trim length. Saves me a huge amount of time. Think about
it. Set your seating die to position the bullet at trim length to .005" below the mid point
on the cannalure and you will be +/- .005" off the optimal seating point. Much ado about
nothing unless you are shooting at the match level. Then all bets are off and you should
be using a much more precise trimmer or measuring every one for length consistency.

Last edited:
It shouldn't. Cannalures I have measured are about .040". I no longer trim brass that
measures less than/equal to .005" over trim length and some others routinely do not trim
unless the brass is .010" over trim length. Saves me a huge amount of time. Think about
it. Set your seating die to position the bullet at trim length to .005" below the mid point
on the cannalure and you will be +/- .005" off the optimal seating point. Much ado about
nothing unless you are shooting at the match level. Then all bets are off and you should
be using a much more precise trimmer or measuring every one for length consistency.

What do you recomend for a precise trimmer. I was looking into the RCBS Trim Pro Power Trim Kit.

Have you checked to see if the trimmer/gauge is bent? Roll it across a very flat surface to check for wobbling or inconsistencies.

I also found that with time the gauge can get screwed in further into the cutter. Try playing with the seating depth of the gauge into the cutter and sizing cases until you get the desired case length, then measure the whole tool (end of cutter to tip of gauge). Then unscrew it and "red" locktite the gauge threads and screw it in to the cutter to the same size and let dry.

Maybe this will help.

I also found that with time the gauge can get screwed in further into the cutter. Try playing with the seating depth of the gauge into the cutter and sizing cases until you get the desired case length, then measure the whole tool (end of cutter to tip of gauge). Then unscrew it and "red" locktite the gauge threads and screw it in to the cutter to the same size and let dry.

Maybe this will help.

The guage is def not loosening or getting tighter. The locktite idea would help if that was the case tho. The problem with that is that I would need to buy new cutter heads for each caliber I reload.

You would thinkthat the way the Lee is designed every case would be the same but if your incosistent with the way you use the Lee you will not get consistent results and I gave up on them. There are a lot of good trimmers out there and my favorite is the Redding 2400 for rifle brass. It's pricey but I like the way it works in that the cutter stays stationary and the shell moves and I also like the mic on it, but even with this trimmer consistency in use is key. I use a Lyman for pistol brass

Back
Top Bottom