• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Opinion on 2 Lee Presses

deerdad

NES Member
I have a LEE single stage I've been using for a while to load 9, 45, and 30-06. I'm thinking about going with the Lee Classic Turret or the 4000 where I don't have to batch load any longer. It takes me forever just to load a couple hundred in order to feed my daughters and my handgun for a short range trip. Can anyone who has used those two presses give me opinions on them. I'm definitely not looking to spend 5 or 600 dollars for a press that doesn't get used that much. These would mostly be for pistol cartridges up to 44 magnum. I would still use the single stage fo 30-06.

I have a loadmaster and the new Pro 6000
Biggest issue with the loadmaster is the priming on the upstroke. Now I run the cases through the loadmaster to prime then again to load so no stopping for priming issues

The turret and 4000 are manual primer feeds so they just work as long as you do your part.

I have the Lee Classic Turret. I added the case ejector setup from Inline Fabrication ($~40), the Lee Safety Prime (~$30) and I'm able to get between 250-300 rds/hr. (prior to those additions I think I was only getting 150 rds. max). The limiting factors are primers and powder. I also use this press for rifle up to 30-06. I have a Lee single stage that I use for small batch loads,

Same with the LnL and I hate it, I pre-prime all my brass ahead of time nowadays on a single stage. Nice shitty weather day kinda thing to to.
The loadmaster does a good job on priming if it's the only thing it's doing.
Problem is when there is an issue with priming a case it's a pain to deal with while loading.
Doing it in two steps, I can drop powder at station 2, then powder check, seat and crimp all separately.

AND I'm an idiot - the loadmaster primes on the downstroke so if there is an issue everything is screwed up. I'd say more coffee but that's not the issue.

The new Pro 6000 primes at the end of the upstroke and you can see the primer in the arm when the handle is down so you know there is a primer and it isn't flipped

I have the Lee turret and like it. I’m not into large quantity turn out. I also use it for reloading rifle that has been all prepped (Lee single stage). I just have to manually index it.

Last edited:
I used the LCT for about 4 years. A good press to speed up the process. Still one stroke required for each operation. I am not a fan of the Pro Auto disc system. I had charge inconsistencies especially dropping flake powders. The priming system is a little cheap by design and needs some fine tuning to get it adjusted properly to reliably transfer primers. Ended up selling the press kit and bought a Dillon. Absolutely should have invested in the Dillon first and not bothered with the LEE

Lee presses are generally for those mechanically inclined to deal with issues. Im running older lee Pro 1000s and hate the priming system .
I have worked out the bugs on mine and a lot of issues are from flashing on the cast parts .
If price point is a issue Lee is about your only choice.

I have a LEE single stage I've been using for a while to load 9, 45, and 30-06. I'm thinking about going with the Lee Classic Turret or the 4000 where I don't have to batch load any longer. It takes me forever just to load a couple hundred in order to feed my daughters and my handgun for a short range trip. Can anyone who has used those two presses give me opinions on them. I'm definitely not looking to spend 5 or 600 dollars for a press that doesn't get used that much. These would mostly be for pistol cartridges up to 44 magnum. I would still use the single stage fo 30-06.
This guy does pretty good reviews on Lee

View: https://youtu.be/_0SabOYH1IQ

Back
Top Bottom