Lead levels in my blood

Lead is absorbed through the skin.

only minimally though for inorganic lead compounds. Typical lead poisoning is from inhalation and/or ingestion. Handling a lot of lead with your bare hands certainly isn't a good idea but not nearly as bad as inhaling airborne lead or ingesting it in your food/water

Lead is absorbed through the skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not very efficiently. The absorption rate through the skin is low. In contrast, absorption through inhalation and ingestion us far more efficient.

As this article describes, nearly all lead inhaled is absorbed. The percentage of ingested lead that is absorbed varies, bit can be relatively high. In contrast, only about 1% of lead on skin is absorbed:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2060369-overview#aw2aab6b2

Last edited:
I get tested every year. I told my doctor I'm immature and might be nibbling on paint chips when I'm unsupervised. I always wash my hands and change my clothes after I shoot, smelt or cast lead, or eat any food imported from China.

I asked my MD to check at my last checkup, he asked why and I told him, then we had a nice chat on lead shot vs steel shot and when he used to go hunting back in the day. I get the sense he's kind of an old country fella!

Been thinking about all the lead pellets I handled as a kid.....10s of thousands. Held pellets in my lips for followup shots.
I think about how much lead was in food in the us. Also if any lead was added to food in the us.
I know here in the northeast we have miles of lead water mains.
For women......lead in makeup, wonder how much is still added to it?
I was reading about how lead at one point was added to wine to add flavor?
Sucks to hear anyone getting sick or even just elevated levels.
Now what about candy....I have seen more and more of my childhood candy made in China? Any lead in that?........

Last edited:
Prior to taking my NRA basic pistol course in November of 2013 my blood lead level tested "<3". Shot 30 rounds of FMJ .38 then indoors as part of the course.
Practiced another 50 rounds of FMJ .38 indoors for Moon Island indoors in December of 2013.
Fired 30 rounds FMJ .38 outdoors at Moon Island in December of 2013.
February of 2014 got my LTC and fired 20 rounds of FMJ .40 indoors. spent about 1.5 hours total cleaning the pistol the first time and then after the 20 rounds.
March of 2014 fired 60 rounds of FMJ .40 indoors in two 1hrs sessions with about 45 minutes each outing at the club cleaning my pistol.
April of 2014 fired 50 rounds of FMJ .40 indoors, with 30 minutes cleaning my pistol.

Had a lead test this week and it came back at "5". Which while still well within tolerable limits, and hopefully will go away with lack of exposure in a month or two, is still a matter of concern for the increase.

I'd rather not take the health risk shooting indoors now without wearing a respirator that I've seen how little it takes to push levels up with my physiology.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about indoor shooting increasing lead levels but WTF does this have to do with reloading?

Sorry to hear about indoor shooting increasing lead levels but WTF does this have to do with reloading?

Because it's related to the original thread? Guy probably thought it was a good idea to post to an existing thread instead of starting a new one. Yeah it is drifty but not the worst drift we've ever had here.

-Mike

I bought a respirator and some nitrile gloves as a start. I also changed some of my shooting and reloading habits. If I pick brass up, I use the gloves. The reloading is done with gloves on and the brass cleaning is done only outside with a fan blowing on me to push the dust away. I also wear the respirator while cleaning the brass and while shooting indoors. I have a pair is shoes that I only use when I go shooting. The moment I get home, the shoes are removed outside and my clothes go directly into the wash. Lastly, I bought a gallon of d-lead. I called the company and was advised to get 2 products. The d-lead final touch and the d-lead wipes. IMG_20140418_141207_577.jpg

Sorry for any grammatical errors. Typing on a cell phone sucks.

I am in no way down playing the lead issue. What I am finding a bit hard to locate though are people who have a long lead level test history....
As for the poster above who had a increase of +2 I'm now currious to how accurate these test are and what's the +\- on results?
As I look into it more the more I see lead is everywhere! Medications, vinegar, and the DDC has a "torrible intake level " statement in a report I read from 2008 on lead levels. Crazy. Yet I did see a small episode on the last lead smelting plant in the us. The workers there where not really "protected" well below the gear I would suspect anyway.
Also finding info on what level is "high " has not been easy. I did find on average (10 mcg/dL). Is a point in adults you should be interested in your surroundings and figure out why.
I did not have much luck in finding anything yet if certain foods or other blood levels can mess up a blood lead test...can zinc cause false #s???

Last edited:
Yeah sorry I posted off the search function and didn't see this thread categorized under "reloading" and was the 'freshest' on the topic.

To answer your question mac1911, the company I work for requires quarterly blood lead testing as part of our insurance package. Some of our staff spends a significant amount of time doing construction administration in abatement sites. For whatever reason the policy includes testing all of the staff instead of just those specific people. In the past 7 years my B.L.L. has been a steady <3. My living environment hasn't changed and I'm on a medically restricted diet (it sucks) with no major variations. The only new vector has been shooting indoors, so that is the definite source for increased B.L.L.

My post was to quantify with evidence that for some unfortunate people like me, even small exposure is enough to noticeably increase blood lead levels, and for people to be very cautious (use gloves/respirator the later which I wasn't wearing) doing anything shooting related indoors until they know their tolerance for absorption. I suppose the only way to know a personal tolerance for exposure is to be tested regularly for a few years while keeping a regular shooting/reloading schedule in the same environment.

Edit:
I will follow up here in a few months with my levels after switching to outdoor only.

Last edited:
Because it's related to the original thread? Guy probably thought it was a good idea to post to an existing thread instead of starting a new one. Yeah it is drifty but not the worst drift we've ever had here.

-Mike

Sorry I was not clearer. Yet another weakness of mine. I can't help but feel whole thread has less and less to do with reloading with each post. And the information within would benefit many who would never be in the reloading forum. That is the point I was trying to make.

Now if only a moderator would come along and notice this...

Yeah sorry I posted off the search function and didn't see this thread categorized under "reloading" and was the 'freshest' on the topic.

I apologize for appearing to have singled out your post with my comment. That was not my intent. Your information very clear and thorough.

To answer your question mac1911, the company I work for requires quarterly blood lead testing as part of our insurance package. Some of our staff spends a significant amount of time doing construction administration in abatement sites. For whatever reason the policy includes testing all of the staff instead of just those specific people. In the past 7 years my B.L.L. has been a steady <3. My living environment hasn't changed and I'm on a medically restricted diet (it sucks) with no major variations. The only new vector has been shooting indoors, so that is the definite source for increased B.L.L.

My post was to quantify with evidence that for some unfortunate people like me, even small exposure is enough to noticeably increase blood lead levels, and for people to be very cautious (use gloves/respirator the later which I wasn't wearing) doing anything shooting related indoors until they know their tolerance for absorption. I suppose the only way to know a personal tolerance for exposure is to be tested regularly for a few years while keeping a regular shooting/reloading schedule in the same environment.

Edit:
I will follow up here in a few months with my levels after switching to outdoor only.

Thank you.... this is good to know. As for being reloading related I would say it is.
Lead is a part of all shooting.
I will be watching. I get tested in a few months. I will ask for a actual read out of the test. Last year I got a letter just stateing my level was below normal? Along with cholesterol levels and other small info.

Just to let you guys know, the blood test only tests what's in your blood at that time.

Chelation will take it out of your bloodstream. But even though your level has gone down, doesn't mean the lead out of your system. Once it goes into your cells, it stays there forever. That's when the real damage occurs.

That explains my weight gain over the years.

I think Nick is trying to say this thread might do more good for more people in the General Discussion forum, since the lead exposure comes more from general shooting rather reloading.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Q. What some of you guys use to clean up after a day of casting/reload or just shooting at the range ?
Some goes to ammo box ,and stuff one may bring to the range..
Did a small test on some rifle cases I have and some .50 ammo cans and all came out with lead dust on it. " Home Depot home lead test"
Just want to learn some more on how to clean it up because I have small kid and I am trying not to have cross contamination moving this stuff from car to range and back in the house.
Thanks,
H

Asked my Doc to test for lead and he asked if I was eating paint chips....
Told him that I was shooting and he asked if I was licking the bullets...
The test came back clean.

Still the suggestions for cleaning up after shooting is common sense, wearing gloves while cleaning is great advice.
Haven't started reloading yet, looks as if there is some protocols to follow there too.

Thanks to all.

The reloading isn't the problem, shooting indoors is. Get away from whatever crappy indoor facility you're using and find a better one.

I did a ton of research on the whole lead thing years ago, and most of the stats I read showed that the lead levels among shooters was really only an issue for people who were instructors at indoor facilities or people who more or less hibernated at crappy indoor ranges in the winter. I would say at the drop of a hat that 75% of the indoor facilities in MA are woefully inadequate in terms of ventilation. Not a big deal for a one off match here or there but if you're hitting the range once a week you're going to want to use the best available facility.

Also, .22s are ****ing terrible for smoke/fumes. The bullets are often just plain lead and aren't even plated. A lot of the indoor poisonings I read about were all from hard core bullseye shooters running .22s and lead .45 SWC's. They go in the local shitty club range once or twice a week for a long time and bathe in the stuff and then wonder why they have lead issues.

-Mike

+! shooting indoors is definitely the problem note the recent closing of the Hopedale indoor range.

My lead level runs 12-15 and Dr said not to worry. Threshold is 25 in adults according to my lab results printout. Dr also says that my welding business contributes to my lead level. Had a high of 31 after I helped my buddy scraping and painting his house 2 years ago. Guess it was lead paint!
Dave

Shot 30 rounds of FMJ .38 then indoors as part of the course.
Practiced another 50 rounds of FMJ .38 indoors for Moon Island indoors in December of 2013.
Fired 30 rounds FMJ .38 outdoors at Moon Island in December of 2013.
February of 2014 got my LTC and fired 20 rounds of FMJ .40 indoors. spent about 1.5 hours total cleaning the pistol the first time and then after the 20 rounds.
March of 2014 fired 60 rounds of FMJ .40 indoors in two 1hrs sessions with about 45 minutes each outing at the club cleaning my pistol.
April of 2014 fired 50 rounds of FMJ .40 indoors, with 30 minutes cleaning my pistol.

3 1/2 hrs for 4 cleanings for 240 rounds shot. Seriously, Any finish left on that gun? I don't spent 3 1/2 hrs cleaning guns in a year and I've probably shot 3-4000 rounds this year, but that's just me.
Dave

Last edited:
3 1/2 hrs for 4 cleanings for 240 rounds shot. Seriously, Any finish left on that gun? I don't spent 3 1/2 hrs cleaning guns in a year and I've probably shot 3-4000 rounds this year, but that's just me.
Dave

This. How in the heck can you spend 1 1/2 hours cleaning a pistol?

Back
Top Bottom