LE shoots man in the back when cuffed and down

Another reason why tazers are stupid. Baton, spray, gun. Why add a fourth piece? I never heard any decent justification for that.

Baton- in order to use effectively you must get close to the person
Spary- Not always effective because of a number of factors weather, wind, improper application, being to close, The fact that spray does not work on everyone.- I have been hit with OC twice in training scenerios the first time it worked. The second time I knew what to expect and what was happenining to me . I was able to continue to fight even though the spay application was done properly. The tazer is another option, another peice of the pie in the use of force continium

Last edited:
Another reason why tazers are stupid. Baton, spray, gun. Why add a fourth piece? I never heard any decent justification for that.
Spray doesn't work all that well, often results in cross-contamination of the officers, and then the perp has to be decontaminated.

Baton requires officer to get within arms reach of the perp, so the result is often a wrestling match. Baton strikes also often result in significant injuries to the perp.

Tasers reduce injuries to both the perp and the officers. That's why departments use them.

has anyone watched any of the other videos from different angles? thugs in hoods with no respect for the cops approach from behind the officers in a pretty threatening manner...no wonder why the kid was jumpy!

Yeah...because all these out of control LEO's resign after an incident like this.[rolleyes]

A tragic ACCIDENT! All the way around.

Poor training + Poor tactics + Stress + Crowd = Tragedy

Are you serious? An accident?

That cop pulled out a gun and shot a prone, handcuffed person in the back.

That was no accident, that was cold-blooded murder.

I have seen people in the field that dropped like a sack of potatoes upon being sprayed with OC. I have also seen people get sprayed wipe the stuff from there face and laugh and ask if thats the best you have got? Nothing works on everyone.

I'm curious. if I am confronted by a man that is threatening me, and I go to reach for my flashlight and accidently pull out my pistol and shoot him... would I be let go, cause I didn't mean to, i ment to shine a light in his eye so I could run away (assuming it was a pistol grip flashlight I had on me)

Possibly es provided the flashlight and pistol were similiar- same grip angle, same texture, same trigger actuation its possible.in order for it to be murder you have to prove malice aforethought- that the person meant or intended to kill.

oh I'm not curious about the murder charge, I'm curious about involuntary manslaughter, or anything else. I would like to know, if I would be completely let off the hook, no charges.

I'm not sure I buy that, although I can see how one could mistakenly grab a gun-like object...

Most officers I see carry their taser cross-draw and their service weapon strong-side. I'm not sure you could really mistake your service weapon for your taser unless you just flat-out don't train.

Repetition makes habit.

That's the key point.

Please outline from a legal standpoint how you think this is murder?

There are two specific elements to murder:

1. The act of killing a person

2. The state of mind (mens rea) of intentional, purposeful, malicious, premeditated, and/or wanton.

Number one is pretty much evident and since there was no reason whatsoever for this cop to shoot that poor kid, I would define the act as wanton. You could also say it was intentional, purposeful and malicious.

Stop apologizing for this scumbag cop. It's disgusting.

Mr Weebles, you are assuming that it was intentional. I'm sorry, but that just isn't clear to me. I think it is far more likely that the officer thought he had the Taser in his hand, not his gun. If that is true, then the officer did not intend to shoot the victim. As was pointed out in the article posted above, officers have made just that type of mistake in the past when under stress. It is quite possible that is what happened here.

Yes, point 1 is true.

Honorable people can disagree about point 2.

Give the legal system time to work.

Mr Weebles, you are assuming that it was intentional. I'm sorry, but that just isn't clear to me. I think it is far more likely that the officer thought he had the Taser in his hand, not his gun. If that is true, then the officer did not intend to shoot the victim. As was pointed out in the article posted above, officers have made just that type of mistake in the past when under stress. It is quite possible that is what happened here.

Yes, point 1 is true.

Why would you taser a handcuffed person,are they still posing a threat to officer safety when they are restrained ?

Yes, point 1 is true.

Wanton can be defined in a legal sense as "1) grossly negligent to the extent of being recklessly unconcerned with the safety of people or property."

I'm curious. if I am confronted by a man that is threatening me, and I go to reach for my flashlight and accidently pull out my pistol and shoot him... would I be let go, cause I didn't mean to, i ment to shine a light in his eye so I could run away (assuming it was a pistol grip flashlight I had on me)

You would be screwed.

But then you are not a police officer charged with keeping the peace, upholding the law and putting yourself in harms way every day to do your job.

The problem here is that use of force is part of the job of a police officer. If a police office makes a use of force error it can have terrible consequences, but it is right and fair that an LEO have a different set of consequences as you or I depending on the circumstances of that mistake.

IMO in this case the cop should be fired at a minimum, and possibly be tried for involuntary manslaughter. If more can be proven by a DA, then he should be charged up to the appropriate level of that proof.

It's sad, and it's easy to get angry about "what them cops can get away with", but this is not a case of a cop trying to get away with something IMO. It looks like a case of a bad mistake being made under stress.

Why would you taser a handcuffed person,are they still posing a threat to officer safety when they are restrained ?

Handcuffed people can still be quite dangerous. Was it necessary in this case? I don't know.

Do I think he intentionally shot the victim? I doubt it. I think he was in the middle of a chaotic situation with an non-compliant subject in a really crappy situation with potentially bad actors in front of him and behind him (the cops were trying to separate two groups). He was an inexperienced officer, his training failed him, he became mentally overwhelmed and he screwed the pooch.

Should he be charged with some form of manslaughter? Probably and, I think, that is quite likely to happen.

Back
Top Bottom