• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lawyers - I want to sue the State of Massachusetts

I think you will also have to show that you 'had' to shoot. Because I think you have a duty to mitigate damages so if you're shooting for recreation and you know your ears are getting damaged then I don't see how you would make a case. Plus I think the judge would rule that the 'safety' of the general public wins out. He would be full of shit but that's what he would say.

I wouldnt use the car analogy or we may all end up having or guns inspected once a year [thinking]

This^ Also, imagine if they became mandatory as safety equipment. Imagine if you will, having to have supressors pinned and welded to ALL of your firearms. Might make conceal carry a bit difficult among other things.

Please don't try to do this on your own -- you will only lose and create a bad precedent.

Here you go. Here would be the result.

Judge: Suppressors have the potential to be used in a crime. Although the prosecutor gives a valid argument the Commonwealth's interest in public safety trumps an perceived damages. The court finds for the defendant.

/s

I think you'll get laughed out of court if you actually use the phrase 'safety device' to describe a suppressor.

Then you appeal and get above the state level, where the case is given serious consideration.

With such pessimism no wonder Massachusetts sucks. The state has beaten its citizens into submission.

Then you appeal and get above the state level, where the case is given serious consideration. With such pessimism no wonder Massachusetts sucks. The state has beaten its citizens into submission.

If you have a federal case then you start in federal court to begin with. It isn't necessarily true that you can appeal an SJC loss to federal court.

Your a bleedin loony, No formal educatikn right? Anything that is phrased like this* cant be sued or at least not the way your thinking..

The State Of (One of the 57* states) Its a corporation! Let me guess Mass has a 1879 constitution right ?

* For obama voters only everyone else only the #50 applies.

Last edited:
If you have a federal case then you start in federal court to begin with. It isn't necessarily true that you can appeal an SJC loss to federal court.
This.

You don't just say "appeal" and get a trial in a higher court.

For anyone seriously considering a lawsuit, there is lower hanging fruit to be addressed.

BYO cash

To respond to all the comments:

- I would never try this myself. Without a large well experienced group backing like GOAL etc, there would be no chance. Not only is it very expensive, but the right connections and legal experience in fighting the state on firearms matters are a necessary prerequisite.
Also, an amateur bringing a suit like this is more likely to get sliced and diced by an experienced AG and the result would just be more ammunition for the State. (sorry, bad pun)

- "I think you will also have to show that you 'had' to shoot. " - Well, I don't HAVE to buy a car, but those have to be safe don't they?

- For those that say it can't be done, we'll never know if we never try.

Now, another question. Suppose I put an 18-20" solid forend (like those carbon fiber tubes) on a 16" barrel, such that the tube extends past the barrel several inches. Does that qualify as a suppressor or a flash hider? I have to go dig into the MGL to see how such things are defined.

OP, haven't you learned? Suppressors allow bad guys to stealthily move about in the shadows and commit crimes undetected. I am sorry, but your hearing will have to take a number.

Back
Top Bottom