Laws on sawed-off shotguns?

What is the current law on customizing shotgun barrels? Would it be illegal for me to shorten the length of the barrell and re-machine the choke threads to obtain a shorter barrell length, or would I just have to buy a new/used barrell? I've heard that as long as you stay within a certain barrell length that it's legal to do, but I'd like to know for sure.

FROM ATF GCA of 1968
(5) The term "shotgun" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

(6) The term "short-barreled shotgun" means a shotgun having one or more barrels less than eighteen inches in length and any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

No, register it before you make it. Google "ATF form 1", print it out, complete it, send it in. Double check with the ATF before you do it.

That's federal, as for Mass I have no clue, depending on your location i'm guessing it could be pretty damn near impossible to get you chief to sign off on your app.

Penalty: Up to life in state prison

Greetings ladies and gents. Been lurking around NES for a few months so it's about time that I join into the fray.

With respect to what the law in MA has to say about sawed-off shotguns;

MGL C269 S10:

(c) Whoever, except as provided by law, possesses a machine gun, as defined in section one hundred and twenty-one of chapter one hundred and forty, without permission under section one hundred and thirty-one of said chapter one hundred and forty; or whoever owns, possesses or carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a sawed-off shotgun, as defined in said section one hundred and twenty-one of said chapter one hundred and forty, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for life, or for any term of years provided that any sentence imposed under the provisions of this paragraph shall be subject to the minimum requirements of paragraph (a).

I would definately recommend against possessing a sawed-off in MA.

Welcome, Moga. Go over to the general section of the forum and there's a "New Members Check-In and Say Hi thread" and tell us about yourself.

Oops! I lost my manners for a brief moment. Glad to report that I've since come back to my senses :)

Thanks for jarring them loose JonJ.

At this point I would like to point out that the law states "without permission". I do believe that permission is obtained from the chief law enforcement officer in your jurisdiction, and he grants such by signing your Form 1 application.

Do we have any MA LEOs on the board who can clarify?

IANAL, but I took "without permission" as a condition of the machine gun clause, which seems to stand seperate from the sawed-off shotgun clause of the relevant chapter.

clause 1: Whoever, except as provided by law, possesses a machine gun, as defined in section one hundred and twenty-one of chapter one hundred and forty, without permission under section one hundred and thirty-one of said chapter one hundred and forty;

clause 2: or whoever owns, possesses or carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a sawed-off shotgun, as defined in said section one hundred and twenty-one of said chapter one hundred and forty

shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for life...

I could be wrong. As I said, it's just the way that I, as a layman, took it to mean. Anyone else care to take a shot at it?

MGL 140 S.121 helpes to further shape an understanding of the regulations in MA on sawed-off shotguns:

“Sawed-off shotgun”, any weapon made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification or otherwise, if such weapon as modified has one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

Moga said:
MGL 140 S.121 helpes to further shape an understanding of the regulations in MA on sawed-off shotguns:

“Sawed-off shotgun”, any weapon made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification or otherwise, if such weapon as modified has one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

So, by using this definition, as long as I stay over 18 inches and under 26 inches i'm safe? Also, going by that where does the barrel start? Where it slides into the base or including the base all the way to the firing pin?

Just to be on the safe side I think I'll stay in NH. I also think I'll pick up a nice cheap Mossberg and fregister it on a Form 1 here.

rapture said:
So, by using this definition, as long as I stay over 18 inches and under 26 inches i'm safe? Also, going by that where does the barrel start? Where it slides into the base or including the base all the way to the firing pin?

To keep it legal... barell length must be over 18" and over all length must be over 26".

Measured from the crown to breech or bolt face. The commonly accepted test is close the breech or bolt, drop a wood dowel or cleaning rod down the muzzle, mark it at the crown and measure length.

Just to play it safe, I'd recommend adding an additional 1/8" - 1/4".

Back
Top Bottom