LaRocca Gun Works - Worcester, MA

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
So today found me doing cabling at 51 Union Place in Worcester, and I noticed the LaRocca sign in the lobby. Never knew where he was.

Mike LaRocca is on the 3rd floor of what looks like an old mill building. Union Place is off Summer St, which is off Worcester Center Blvd right near the WPD. Mike's shop is in the back - follow signs for Chicago Title and you'll see his door.

Mike is not only a gunsmith, although that's what he's known best for. He has a couple of display cases of handguns and a couple of racks of long arms. Many of the guns have been worked over by him, and are priced accordingly. I'm told that he does excellent work, however.

At least 5 1911's, including a Gold Cup and a WW2 vintage one that has been CHROMED - Mike hasn't gotten around to removing it yet! Several other guns, too... I remember a SIG (232, maybe? Is that a .380?), a Model 41, a Model 28, a Colt Ace .22, a Savage Trench Gun (12GA shotgun), and oh, yeah... a TC Contender. .44 Mag, I think.

Definitely worth a side trip if you're in Worcester. He's a real nice guy to talk to... (and he doesn't like S&W1911's, either... his comment was to buy the AutoOrdnance and work up from there. I might just do that... have him work over the trigger and put high-viz sights on it, maybe).

51 Union Place, Worcester, MA 01608 508-754-2887
www.laroccagunworks.com

Mike did some work for me last year on a new Remington 11-87 (lengthen forcing cone, action and trigger work, big button safety) and an early 70's Colt Combat Commander (three dot sights, larger grip safety, and his "reliability package"). Very satisfied with his work. He spent a fair amount of time going over different smithing and parts options. A real down to earth professional.

Okay...First, I have never had LaRocca do any work for me except shorten a rifle barrel years ago. That work was performed by one of his employees and although the rifle shot well the barrel looked like they just took a hacksaw to it. I re-finished it again myself after cleaning up the saw marks. He didn't charge me much so I can't complain too loudly I suppose.
I have talked to people in the Worcester area that say he is not a particularly skilled gunsmith but has a guy or two that is. Mike does know what is possible and how to do it and knows how to run a business. I know people who have been very happy with LaRocca both personally and with the work performed on their 1911's. But I have also run into folks that feel he is over priced and not that good. I suppose any gunsmith has a group of customers that feel slighted somehow.
Regarding the S+W 1911, what customizing is left to do. An out of the box semi-custom gun doesn't leave much room for LaRocca Gunworks to make a profit. If you hate the S+W then buy a Auto Ordinance and have him build it up, I am pretty sure you'll be happy.
Note: I am not slamming him I just feel that he has a business reason for disliking any semi-custom 1911 whether it is the S+W 1911 or not.

Larocca Gunworks

Dropped off my new M&P 40. at Larocca`s. Saturday morning. First time I had been there. Mike seems like a great guy. It`s good to know a competent gunsmith in the area.
Sitting in the showcase was a 3rd generation Glock 22 w/nightsights and 2 high cap mags. Looked like new. Man, the SO better not find out I bought 2 new guns.
Honey, guess what I got you for Xmas?
I`ll be picking up my M&P with the Larocca trigger job and the Glock 22 friday. Hopefully I will fire it next weekend and report back on the M&P and the trigger job.
Hhmm! I gotta figure a way to smuggle them in the house.
Merry Christmas to me!

I've been dealing with Mike LaRocca for over twenty years. He is one of the best gunsmiths in the area and the only one I will trust my Pythons to. He apprenticed with Pacmayer Gunworks out in LA and has been featured in many Harris Publications such as Combat Handguns.

One of his specialties is the Combat Shotgun with appropriate modifications.

Mark L.

First, I have never had LaRocca do any work for me except shorten a rifle barrel years ago. That work was performed by one of his employees and although the rifle shot well the barrel looked like they just took a hacksaw to it. I re-finished it again myself after cleaning up the saw marks. He didn't charge me much so I can't complain too loudly I suppose.
I have talked to people in the Worcester area that say he is not a particularly skilled gunsmith but has a guy or two that is. … Note: I am not slamming him I just feel that he has a business reason for disliking any semi-custom 1911 whether it is the S+W 1911 or not.
As with mark056, I've been dealing with Mike LaRocca for over 20 years, and he's worked on a lot of different firearms for me, one… an S&W Model 042 with which results I was so delighted that I did one of those referenced gunzine features for one of the Harris Combat Handgun annuals back in '95. It wasn't an "assignment," just a story I felt needed reporting, and the Editor concurred.

Now I don't know member pcgod or anything about him, but while he is damning Mr. LaRocca with faint praise, I have to wonder exactly who he is talking about in his confused post I've excerpted above… I don't believe it's the Mike LaRocca I know from Worcester. To the best of my knowledge… which, in this area, is reasonably extensive… LaRocca Gun Works, Mike LaRocca, prop., is a one-person shop, and always has been. I don't think Mike's worked in a shop with anyone else since he left his "Lead Gunsmith" position at Pachmayr Gun Works, then in Los Angeles, almost 25 years ago.

Didn't want my initial post to be a contentious one, but I feel that the record needs to be straightened.

Happy Holidays!

-------------------------------------------
• Dean, jus' visitin' from The Gun Zone

Larocca Gunworks

Dropped off my new M&P 40. at Larocca`s. Saturday morning. First time I had been there. Mike seems like a great guy. It`s good to know a competent gunsmith in the area.
Sitting in the showcase was a 3rd generation Glock 22 w/nightsights and 2 high cap mags. Looked like new. Man, the SO better not find out I bought 2 new guns.
Honey, guess what I got you for Xmas?
I`ll be picking up my M&P with the Larocca trigger job and the Glock 22 friday. Hopefully I will fire it next weekend and report back on the M&P and the trigger job.
Hhmm! I gotta figure a way to smuggle them in the house.
Merry Christmas to me!
Picked up my M&P 40. from Mike and bought the Glock 22. Huge improvement in the trigger. I like this gun. I fired 100rds. thru it at S&W Range and no problems. I tried a compact and I`m glad I didn`t buy one. To small for me. I kept hitting the mag release while I was shooting. Next time gun would go"click". I would check the mag and it was hanging out. No if only I had the high cap mags for it. The deal from Carl was to good to pass up even tho I had to shell out money to fix the god awful Mass. trigger.

Picked up my M&P 40. from Mike and bought the Glock 22. Huge improvement in the trigger. I like this gun. I fired 100rds. thru it at S&W Range and no problems. I tried a compact and I`m glad I didn`t buy one. To small for me. I kept hitting the mag release while I was shooting. Next time gun would go"click". I would check the mag and it was hanging out. No if only I had the high cap mags for it. The deal from Carl was to good to pass up even tho I had to shell out money to fix the god awful Mass. trigger.

Just curios... what did he charge you for the trigger job?

LaRocca Gun Works

Anyone have any experience with this guys gun work? Thinking about getting a trigger job for M&P???

I had a Colt 1911 worked on by Mike, and I would highly recomend going to him. Great person to deal with and very knowledgable. Work is top notch and he is well known for his gunsmithing abilities.

You better not need it anytime soon. In October he said it would be ready in December....hmmm almost the end of January. I hate that kind of shit. Maybe the bass are running year round now.

Derr Precision in Marshfield also does M&P trigger jobs, short money and good reviews.

When I get mine it will go there.

I had LaRocca do work on my Colt Officers.... great job. I'm not sure about the turn around time for a simple trigger job... I don't think it would take that long... but I know that I was quoted 4-6 weeks for the work on my Colt... and it took 15 weeks.

So... LaRocca does quality work... just don't expect it back too soon. [grin]

Mike did a trigger job on my M&P9 full size. I'm very happy with results. I think he turned it around in less than two weeks. If you need the gun let him know, I had a class that I needed it back for and he got it done in time.

If you have a magazine disconnect have him take it out too. I was a newbie and forgot to ask him to do it while he was doing the trigger. One of these days I'll have it done or do it myself.

FYI: If you are using a GPS or google maps his address is "51 Union St" NOT "51 Union Place". The building he is in "Union Place". Also, leave a trail of breadcrumbs when you enter the building, I got lost trying to find my way back out .

Derr Precision in Marshfield also does M&P trigger jobs, short money and good reviews.

When I get mine it will go there.

I've never heard a bad word about the jobs done by Mike Larocca. He's been in this business for a long, long time.

Greg Derr did two of my M&Ps and did a great job and very quickly for a very reasonable price.

Also, leave a trail of breadcrumbs when you enter the building, I got lost trying to find my way back out .

I think it's definitely one of the coolest buildings out there. I LOVE the use of wood throughout the building.

Mike fixed up an older .22 that I have. Needed this and that to get going. Works perfect and feels great, have not had any other problems. Although the wife thought he stole the gun it took so long.

Larocca does excellent work. I've been trying to find out if he builds AR15 uppers but can't seem to get an answer back. Wanna ask him when you go? Kidding!

Mike has done work for me since the late 1980's. He is a very good gunsmith and worked at the famous Pachmayr Gun Works in Los Angeles in his younger days. I have never experience a lengthy turnaround from him.

Mark

Mike's a great guy and a fine smith. If you need a quick turnaround be sure to tell Mike. He may charge you to expedite, but if turnaround is what you want that shouldn't be an issue.

I had him fix up a Colt Government .380 for me. It would stove pipe now and then, the slide stop spring would work it's way out, and when it started doubling I took it to him. Turned out part of the sear was busted off and some other spring was toast. It runs 100% now, but for some reason it only holds the slide open on the last round like 25% of the time. Looking closely at the problem it seams to be a magazine issue. Even the brand new colt factory mags don't quite reach the slide stop lever with enough force for some reason. He said perhaps it was because the mags were new and needed to break in, apparently not, so perhaps I should bring it back to him.

I carry it as a summer gun because it is so thin and reliable. Like I said, it's 100% after bringing it to him, other than the slide stop problem.

Last edited:
I had him fix up a Colt Government .380 for me. It would stove pipe now and then, the slide stop spring would work it's way out, and when it started doubling I took it to him. Turned out part of the sear was busted off and some other spring was toast. It runs 100% now, but for some reason it only holds the slide open on the last round like 25% of the time. Looking closely at the problem it seams to be a magazine issue. Even the brand new colt factory mags don't quite reach the slide stop lever with enough force for some reason. He said perhaps it was because the mags were new and needed to break in, apparently not, so perhaps I should bring it back to him.

I carry it as a summer gun because it is so thin and reliable. Like I said, it's 100% after bringing it to him, other than the slide stop problem.

I had the same problem with my Govt. .380. I had two mags (Colt mags, not afermarket)that I used where the slide stop wouldn't engage after the last round, and one that always worked flawlessly. Go figure....

Mark L.

Dropped the M4 off to LaRocca

After having the M4 for 1 day I decided to drop it off to Mike LaRocca to have the stock shortened. I know I could of done it myself and I started to but the firearm was BRAND new and I want it done perfectly. Not to mention it will totally legal and for a very small fee I wont have to take a chance that I'll mess up the firearm nor will anything be illegal.

Buying the tools, taking the chance of messing up the pretty firearm and not having to worry about the law is totally worth the one hour of labor in my eyes.

Mike said he'll call me this week and after he gets the pins out I'll swing by, chose which setting I want (the firearm is 37 inches!!!!) and he'll pin it right then and there for me.

I'm pretty excited, I'll likely going shooting the next day, I want to clean the weapon really well first.

Back
Top Bottom