Largest caliber you ever shot?

106 recoiless but as far as ones I've held. M60MG. 45/70, .308 and for handguns 44 mag. and 45acp.

Our Broadsides included (6) 5" 54's and (9) 16" [smile]

[bow]

Would have loved to have seen that! We were lucky enough to have skippers that liked to shoot.... Two back to back tours as gunnery officer and we did pretty well but I would have to admit you have me beat!

[bow]

Would have loved to have seen that! We were lucky enough to have skippers that liked to shoot.... Two back to back tours as gunnery officer and we did pretty well but I would have to admit you have me beat!

I was a deckape before striking down to engineering and becoming a BT but as a Seaman, my GQ station was cradle operator for the center gun of turret 3. I laid the projectile down and then helped the gun captain with 6 bags of powder at 110# a piece. So yes, I was directly behind the breach of the gun and being fresh out of boot, there was a scary scenario at first!

SMAW NE rounds have been known to level multistory buildings in the right conditions and I've fired a few of those

Otherwise, the M2 .50 cal with API ammo like it was Going out of style!!!

40mm grenade launcher
.50 bmg off the bench
.68 muzzle loader
1.6 inch bore black powder cannon
.458 Winchester for shoulder fired
EC's .500 S&W and a 12mm gyrojet for handguns

I'm really not a recoil junky. :)

106 recoilless rifle, 81mm mortar and Ma Deuce during training. Later I [STRIKE=had]had to[/STRIKE] got to "unleash hell" courtesy of a flight of F4's from the 1st MAW.

Ken

My .50 BMG in Iraq. The thing had a wooden charging handle and was made by General Motors in the 1950's. The fact you lube it with motor oil is in itself badass.

Depending on what your criteria is, I've also had Mark 19 on top of my Humvee and an AT-4 that I shot off, but I happen to think the Ma Deuce was the funnest of them all to shoot.

I was a deckape before striking down to engineering and becoming a BT but as a Seaman, my GQ station was cradle operator for the center gun of turret 3. I laid the projectile down and then helped the gun captain with 6 bags of powder at 110# a piece. So yes, I was directly behind the breach of the gun and being fresh out of boot, there was a scary scenario at first!

Awesome! I was usually up in Combat working with the plot.... Our guns were Mk42 Mod 7 and were a beast to maintain but the guys did a great job and they always went boom when they were supposed to.... We originally had a 3" gun tub but on my first tour we got the phalanx for opeval and it took it's place.... I have to say for an old ship we always did pretty well when we shot our quals at Vieques.....[smile]

Pisto:l Desert Eagle .50 cal
Rifle: .50 Hawkins percussion
MG: Browning M2 in .50 BMG.

Wish list:

Lahti L-39 20mm

Last edited:
Nothing - NOTHING - is more fun than firing a tank cannon. Especially at night, with a few other tanks. [smile] I've only fired the 105's, the 120mm smoothbore wasn't fielded until the M1A1. But these had laser rangefinders and thermal night sights.
1178108155_GKMPE-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom