Largest caliber you ever shot?

155mm, M198 howitzer... .50BMG is fun.... 155 is a different galaxy of fun :)

I always wanted to fire one; but, I would never admit that to a gun bunny in person. I got a question for you inerlogic, do you pull a cord to shoot those things or what? I never got the chance to see one fire up close before.

I always wanted to fire one; but, I would never admit that to a gun bunny in person. I got a question for you inerlogic, do you pull a cord to shoot those things or what? I never got the chance to see one fire up close before.

i wasn't a gun bunny either.... firefinder radar operator (F.O. basically)
but i did have occasion to visit a gun battery from time to time and "pull the lanyard"
and yup.. that's exactly what you do.... pull a string :)

it's wild too.... standing near the gun, you feel the concussion and shockwave and loud boom and all that...
but standing right by the breech pulling the lanyard.... i didn't even think the thing had gone off!
(pulled it twice, apparently everyone does that their first time...)

i wasn't a gun bunny either.... firefinder radar operator (F.O. basically)

Well, if you were one of the guys responsible for counter-battery, thanks a million to guys like you! Despite what the news says, there were some pretty damn good mortar teams among the enemy. I'll stop clogging the thread now, sorry.

I pulled the cord. Was 15 at the time with "connections" in the National Guard. I think its different now though.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

I fired a .375 H+H magnum twice before... it was a lightweight Remington bolt action. I actually hit a bowling pin hanging from a wire at 50 yards with that rifle, on the 2nd shot. (It whipped the pin around the wire like 3 times!) The funny and perhaps scary part of it is I don't really remember the part where the gun went off, it's almost like it was impossible to keep your eyes open when that thing went off. I remember the muzzle pointing 45 degrees up or so after each shot, though. [laugh] What a ride. It didn't actually hurt that much, I thought a typical 12 gage with 3's is probably worse feeling, although the energy is certainly lower. I think it's because I held onto the rifle exactly how the owner told me to hold it, which lessened the potential abuse. It's not something I would ever shoot more than a few times in a session, though.

-Mike

This
323b9418.jpg

outta that, though turret no. 222
e44398d1.jpg

and that
55832709.jpg

followed by this
ee597930.jpg

outta that
3892c0ff.jpg

They made for some lasting impressions[smile]

I cannot image what it must be like to be inside or near a tank while firing. Im always envious when these reality tv show jerks get to do a ride along in a M1 abrams.

155mm out of a M198. Like I always say to my buddies in the infantry, "one-shot-one-kill" doesn't impress artillerymen [devil].

55mm recoiless rifle. To the best of my knowledge this is the biggest shoulder fired weapon I know of. Range cards on the ammo went out to three miles. What a blast! I was a medic assigned to a training class for this weapon. Unfortunately, the class failed to show. The training personell (myself included) were given the task of firing ALL of the ammo alloted for the class as the Army takes a dim view of returning live ammo.
We had a lot of fun but, with only Uncle Sam's ear plugs for protection, I suffered serious hearing loss. I was deaf for about three days and still have a permanent ringing in my ears. Would I do it again? You bet!

The Leopard looks like it is at Camp Allenbach, (don't remember the spelling) in Baumholder. I've fired all those rounds, Graf and Baumholder.

No, that Leo was of Lehrbataillon 11 in Munster, Armor School. I copied the pic from http://www.panzerbaer.de/types/bw_kpz_leopard_1a1-a.htm as I had only a print photo of my ride.
The pic of the M60A1 was taken from the interwebs, too. The one I shot with was B1 from Co. B, 2/32 Armor (Kirch-Goens, a.k.a. "The Rock", home of 1st Bde 3A "Spearhead").
Where have you been hanging around in ole Germany?

I cannot image what it must be like to be inside or near a tank while firing. Im always envious when these reality tv show jerks get to do a ride along in a M1 abrams.

Inside is no problem at all. As long as you keep your head inside of the turret, the loudest sound you hear is the empty shell falling out of the breech. Outside is a way different story, rocks your guts and keeps your ears ringing for a while. Caught one from the neighboring tank shooting under green flag when climbing off of mine, not wearing ear protection, once....NOT good.
From this point I knew why other fellow tankers usually rather yelled than talked.....

Last edited:
.577 Nitro Express out of a double rifle. $25 a bullet, I loaded two took one shot and unloaded the other round, OUCH!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.577_Nitro_Express

It fires a 750-grain bullet (about 48.6 grams) at a muzzle velocity of around 2050 feet per second (625 m/s). This caliber is generally used for thick skinned dangerous game such as Elephant, Rhino, and Cape Buffalo. Even among professional ivory hunters of old it's typically treated as an emergency weapon carried by the hunter's gun bearer, reserved for stopping the charge of an enraged wounded elephant in thick bushes rather than as a day to day hunting weapon. Only a few hunters such as James Sutherland did use it as their primary elephant rifle.

It's unnecessarily powerful, harsh recoiling and unwieldy for use against lesser game. For this purpose the old black powder version can be used. It throws a 560 grains bullet at around 1700 ft/s.

Last edited:
Whereas the 40mm thrill of a Mk19 is pretty damn impressive, the 25mm HE delivered from Bushmaster, dual fed, auto cannon was the best. As mechanized infantry, having that for counter-sniper support was reassuring.

Back
Top Bottom